Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2015, 01:39 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Earsham , U.K
New purchase

Hi, I live in the UK and am looking to buy an airstream . Probably around 30 to 36ft. I have a Range Rover v8 to tow. Am of an age where I have sold my house, have a 36ft wooden ketch I am renovating and have liked air streams for many years. They are very expensive to buy in the UK so am prepared to fly to the U.S. To find the right one and arrange shipment back here.
Chris
Norfolk UK
Mckeonchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome, Chris. Check the classifieds for those for sale. Have you checked into what it will cost to ship a coach to England? Figure in what it will cost you for the trip here, time here, and the return flight plus the shipping of the coach added to what you will pay for the coach here and you may find that it is cheaper to buy there. Of course, you can't put a value on the trip here if you are planning a vacation here anyway.

You can find specs on the coaches here: Document Archive - Airstream
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Also remember that you will most likely have to change things like brakes, electrical systems, propane systems and possibly even water and sewer connections to make it legal and able to be licensed in GB. And the entry door will be on the "wrong side" and might even be a problem. Hitches are also different (legally) in GB.

All of that should be carefully checked out prior to trying your plan.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Also remember that you will most likely have to change things like brakes, electrical systems, propane systems and possibly even water and sewer connections to make it legal and able to be licensed in GB. And the entry door will be on the "wrong side" and might even be a problem. Hitches are also different (legally) in GB.

All of that should be carefully checked out prior to trying your plan.
Now that's a bit of information to put in the memory bank, especially the fact that the street side will be the door side in the UK. Also, the Classic is quite a large coach to pull with a short wheel based vehicle.
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:53 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums, Chris. We're glad to have you with us. Best wishes in your quest. If you could come to the States, score a super coll Airstream, and bring it back to the UK, that would be quite an adventure for you to share every time that you showed off you Airsatream.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:16 AM   #6

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Terryville , Connecticut
I am computer illerate & I cannot find the drop down for inspectors. I live in CT. I have found an Airstream I am very interested in but I need someone around Lancaster, Pa to inspect it for me. Otherwise I am putting a deposit on something I cannot see for a week.
tfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:09 AM   #7
jwp
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfair View Post
I am computer illerate & I cannot find the drop down for inspectors. I live in CT. I have found an Airstream I am very interested in but I need someone around Lancaster, Pa to inspect it for me. Otherwise I am putting a deposit on something I cannot see for a week.
Well, you're in the wrong thread. This thread is by someone in the UK with a very different situation.

Use the "search" tab. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:14 AM   #8
jwp
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
...the Classic is quite a large coach to pull with a short wheel based vehicle.
The more important issue here is that buying a North American spec Airstream to bring back to UK for towing with a 112" wheelbase is a TERRIBLE idea for one reason: The US spec trailer will have the 2 axles too far to the rear, thus putting a MUCH higher load onto the hitch.

The European Airstreams have properly balanced axle to weights such that much lighter weight vehicles can manage them quite well. Length-wise a 30 ft may still be a but much but a UK axle layout will at least remove that major issue.

Besides, can you really somehow get around paying the taxes when shipping something into the UK? I'd figure you'd get a VAT added on or something?