Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
Cheetah

1978 Argosy 30
Kensington , Gauteng
Cool Need safe Escrow/Title exchange service to sell my rig,in AZ from Africa.

Have my Argosy TT and towcar for sale in Arizona but have no knowledge on finding a safe Escrow/Title Service that can act for both Buyer/Seller as I live in Africa !

Have friend who will show vehicles but unwilling to accept any further chores connected with above requirements.

I will be able to have Titles and Bill of Sale certified through the American Consulate Notary Public and DHL courier them to said service for handing to buyer's agent and hopefully have Service EFT balance of Sale Price to an International Bank in my home country.

Is Document Center Inc. normally used for this or should I look up an Escrow Attorney ? Thanks, Cheetah.
Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Have my Argosy TT and towcar for sale in Arizona but have no knowledge on finding a safe Escrow/Title Service that can act for both Buyer/Seller as I live in Africa !

Have friend who will show vehicles but unwilling to accept any further chores connected with above requirements.

I will be able to have Titles and Bill of Sale certified through the American Consulate Notary Public and DHL courier them to said service for handing to buyer's agent and hopefully have Service EFT balance of Sale Price to an International Bank in my home country.

Is Document Center Inc. normally used for this or should I look up an Escrow Attorney ? Thanks, Cheetah.
I'd find an RV dealer who would take it on consignment and sell it.

Paula
Old 12-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I believe you are referring to the city of Apache Junction, Arizona.

Escrow service. If you look up escrow service in Arizona likley you wil find they only handle Real Estate transactions and not personal property. There are no escrow attorney in AZ as Arizona is not a judicial state. You could find Real Estate attorneys or if you want an attorney to handle the transaction a contract law attorney.

If you already have a buyer (or not) the above suggestion is a good one. Find an RV lot that would assist in marketing and selling the trailer and TV. They can handle both vehicles for you to conclusion.

Given your situation (continents apart) and if it is the 1979 trailer in your data you are looking for a special buyer with a difficult situation for not much money.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
Cheetah

1978 Argosy 30
Kensington , Gauteng
Thanks for your advice. Because of the low price (Necessitated by the long storage without being used and competition on the Airstream Classified site ) dealers were not interested to handle the sale. Also have been trying to find an Attorney who will accept to hold the Escrow until I can get the Titles notarised by the American Consulate in South Africa and DHL them to him to hand to the buyer's agent. Have an out of State buyer and want to safeguard her interest and mine in this way. They also seem reluctant although I have been contacting those in Apache Junction listed, but not accredited, in the Phoenix BBB website. I would then need the Attorney to EFT the balance, after fees, to be sent to my bank in Africa. What a 'slep' when I hate to sell the rig, but ill health has intervened ! Cheetah.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:51 AM   #5
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
You mention low price and I believe you. Attorneys that I know of will want a flat fee to handle the transaction. A couple of hundred dollars to may be much more. (Per transaction) BTW there are no laws (in this state) that I am aware of regulating attorneys that hold money in trust. However I can get a list of attorneys that have lost their license because of ethical reasons.
This site might help - a listing of all financially regulated operations Arizona Department of Financial Institutions
I hope you are not expecting much money to come your direction based on the situation.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-20-2013, 05:41 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I am sure most people looking at this thread had the same initial reaction as I did. Namely, your situation fits the classic Nigerian scam, in which the seller is overseas, but will have their agent either collect the money, item, or ship the item. The person on this end winds up out cash or merchandise, and the other party gets away scott-free with the crime.
With that in mind, it's going to be really tough getting anybody to be willing to give you money for a trailer, when you are "offshore", coincidentally exactly where most of the scammers are.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:15 AM   #7
Cheetah

1978 Argosy 30
Kensington , Gauteng
You have been very helpful Action & I am checking the BBB accredited attorneys near to Apache Junction with clean records of some years. Have a buyer who only wants to pay by PayPal; which I found too restrictive, and may be the reverse of the scams you spoke of ! We are inundated with these scams in S. Africa from the same source, so I know what is meant by being 'between a rock and a hard place.' Have tried some consignment TT dealers, but the low asking price does not suit them, and I would be committed to someone who may be unreliable. ! Most of the attorneys I contacted also wanted Cash or cheques which is risky even if they were available to me, in this instance. Am willing to have the units inspected if required. Cheetah.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:51 AM   #8
Cheetah

1978 Argosy 30
Kensington , Gauteng
I knew that would be a barrier Overlander 63, but am willing to have the units inspected and can provide proof of my bonafides; that is why I am looking for an accredited professional attorney with a clean record of some years, through the Arizona BBB to protect both buyer and seller. From the advice given by 'Action' also, I see that even they are not subject to laws in AZ. to be honest ! I never intended to sell the rig, hence it being in storage for so long, but rather ship it back to S.Africa. Ill health forces me to do otherwise. Thanks, Cheetah.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
What city in Arizona is the trailer currently stored in? I might possibly have an idea, maybe.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:32 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Dunwoody , Georgia
I think most buyers are going to be scared of the Nigeria scams looking at this. I'm not trying to insult, but too many strange variables. I am presently trying to sell a nice truck online, the first four emails I had regarding it were all "Nigeria scams".

I don't know the tax laws where you live, but I might be inclined to donate the trailer to a charity, then write it off on your taxes. Where I live the tax deduction benefit would exceed the profit from sale most likely.
mtbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #11
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
The trailer is located in Apache Junction, Arizona about 25 miles East of Sky Harbor airport in Phoenix.

It is unlikely the sale of personal property in the US will have any tax benefit in Africa.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #12
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I personally have issues with the BBB. Other sources

State Bar of Arizona :: For the Public

Maricopa County Bar Association (MCBA)

I know several attorneys none of which offer that type of service. And they all said fee collection in advance was what would happen. And it would be far more expensive than Pay Pal or E-bay and I believe those companies offer escrow services.

A trailer & car sitting for an extended period of time will not be in the best condition to sell. The market value of those vehicles will be diminished by the condition and the fees you will have to pay to sell.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #13
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
If you have the means to be able to show the trailer/car to anyone interested (storage yard manager?) perhaps you could arrange to do any transactions through your bank in SA and the buyers bank or a bank of choice in AZ near the storage yard. I would think the bank could handle the bank transfers of cash and then provide the titles for the DMV, maybe for a small handling fee. Bank to bank transfers are safe.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #14
Cheetah

1978 Argosy 30
Kensington , Gauteng
Hello Overlander 63, The rig is stored in Apache Junction and I have a friend, where it was previously stored in A.J. who has removed our personal belongings and started the Caddy, as he is a car Club member and recently completed restoring a '59 T Bird. He is willing to show the units and has the keys and lapsed CA registration papers, but does not know of a suitable Attorney. Thanks for your further help with the other entities mentioned. Cheetah.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
What O-63 said.

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:18 PM   #16

1973 29' Ambassador
Raphine , Virginia
The Dudes name is Cheetah , (cheeter) kinda scares me and leads me to think of the crazy scams out there. Maybe you should just ebay it and that way everything is handled above board.
CrazyGringo is offline   Reply With Quote