Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2015, 01:07 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
A member PMed me and suggested that the 6-digit number on the plates may actually be the serial number and start with an O instead of zero. Does anyone know anything about a 6 digit serial number system and how to decode? If that's the case, it might not be titled at all, and much easier for me to take ownership of. I think.
kristinatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:09 PM   #22

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Not so - trailers of this weight do NOT have to be inspected here in Texas. The fairly new law only pertains to those over 4,000 lbs.
Even light trailers have to be inspected (and weighed) once when retitling in Texas with an out-of-state title. They may have the same requirement for bonded-title transactions, though I don't know that to be the case.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:53 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
helotes , Texas
Just thought I'd put in my two cents. I believe that before you can get a bonded title you will need to have a VIN inspection (what they call a 68A inspection) done. That has to be completed by law enforcement. The folks in your area that may do those inspections is the Travis County Sheriff's Combined Auto Theft Task Force, 509 W. 11th St. Austin TX. (512) 854-9735. They should be able to find the confidential VIN number, if they even had them in the 60's. Good luck
aldamiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:02 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
my brother in law was able to sell a trailer that had no title in Colorado and there was no issue. The records office told him that it happens all the time. The VIN is on the plate to the right of the entry door, at least it is on mine. Once the VIN is established then a thorough search can be done to see if it was reported as stolen or was involved in an insurance scam in its history and if not it should be good to go
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:04 PM   #25
Classy Roscoe

Lots of talk, little of it accurate in such cases.

- Reference
Texas Department of Transportation / Department of Motorvehicles.
(800) 558-9368 www.txdot.gov/forms

There is a special class of motor vehicle in the State of Texas. Junk or abandon.

Regardless, of condition; if the vehicle ( in Texas a motor vehicle is anything that has wheels and can be taken on a highway or street and IS NOT a boat) is considered a Motor vehicle and has to have a title. ( Farm equipment is exempt).

Now, contact the police department where the trailer is located and ask for them to inspect the AS. If they are not Barnie Fife, they have data that allows them to find the VIN/serial number for the vehicle. There is a directory that shows all the (secret ) spots that vin/serial numbers are located and trained officers know this.
( sometimes on the axel)

When the trailer was built a "certificate of orgin" was created. From that a "certificate of title" is created and TAX is paid. (Home built trailers did not apply)

Using that data and the plate number, they (the police) can run an inquiry that will tell you exactly who the trailer is tilted to in about 5 minutes.

This will also tell you if there is a LIEN holder! That is the only person you gave to worry about. Period!

Next, attempt to contact either the the title holder and/or lien holder via certified mail at the address of record of the title/lien holder. Give that letter 15 days to get a reply. If no reply, your almost home.

In the news paper of record in the county where the vehicle is located run the title holder or lien holders name in the legal section saying you need to talk to them. Time this along with the certified letter. Do not say what you need them for you just need a call.

See Texas Transportation Code 683.001 - section 223 area under business, Property & Tax.

The subject vehicle may be abandoned and if so you may apply for lost, stolen or abandon title and once aquired you have your new to you Globe Trotter.

The TXDot forms will give you instructions to follow. Once you have followed all the requirements under Texas Law you have clear title.

Please don't take offense To all the posts and posters, great information, but the above data is the facts for dealing with this situation. Been dealing with this for over 40 years so save your breath just read the Code.

You may find that whom ever owned the vehicle is no longer with us and once you have that title, who ever is trying to sell it to you can kiss old rose unless they have a lien. Talk to the justice of the peace in the area and they will most likely help you and if necessary assist you when time comes to hook up to the trailer. (send a deputy to stand by)

Have a tow truck tie on to it and drag it to your place and move on.

Suspecting that it is stolen because a flimsy vehicle tag is missing may be a little premature.

Look on TXDot web page for your forms. Get all this accomplished before you pay any money. A hand written bill of sale with fix value and protect you from any other people trying to claim ownership when all they have is their hand out.

Happy trails
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:33 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Houston , Texas
I just purchased a Caravel 1967 trailer with weight of 2450 lbs and had to get it inspected because it had an out of state title from Michigan and they did not care how much the trailer weighed. The trailer had been in TX for the last 12 yrs but they never registered it here since they just parked it and left it alone. TX made me bring it up to code for lights , brakes and clearance lighting before I could register the trailer. Big pain.
Tamgary211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:40 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Temple , Texas
You might be able to get some good advice from your county Sheriff's Combined Auto Theft Task Force (they also do trailers). They can do what is called a VTR-68-A inspection and if they feel the trailer is not stolen the DMV can assign a new VIN. At the least, the deputy can give you his expert opinion on any legal issues you might encounter.

I have used this service in Bell County and have been very happy with the help they provided.
TxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:09 AM   #28
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Sometimes, there is a facsimile of the Lifetime Warranty attached to an inside closet door, showing the serial number.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:37 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Thanks for the suggestions! I didn't make it out there yesterday, but going today and trying to get the county sheriff to do the inspection. The seller looked at the tongue and found a third number that could possibly be the serial/VIN, but it doesn't follow Airstream's naming convention, so we'll see. I'm also going to check the wardrobes since they're the only cabinetry still present.

I'm glad there are so many active and helpful airstream owners out there. I'm sure I'll be asking a million other questions once the rehab starts.
kristinatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:43 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
1971 31' Sovereign
Orlando , Florida
Register it in Vermont, just like I did. 2.5 weeks and plate is in my hand!
GuitarmanFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:31 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1955 18' Globetrotter
Carrollton , Texas
Globe Trotter

Kristinatx - so......what's the update on your acquisition of the pretty Globe Trotter? Hope you got it! Curious minds want to know.
Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:58 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
I guess the laws in Texas are not clearly understood or consistently applied. I have registered two vintage Airstreams in Texas that came with out of state titles (NM and AZ) and was not required to get either one inspected.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:22 AM   #33
Classy Roscoe

BambiTex,

Congratulations on being able to get plates for your vintage Airstreams! I too believe that there is inconsistent applications of the new Texas Vehicle Registration laws.

I have noticed that dual axel vehicles must go thru the hoops of inspection then presenting the paperwork to the county clerk tax folks to get your plates. At that time they want some sort of liability insurance document as well, at least for the TV. Single axel trailers under 3000 lbs. capacity are exempt, but still have to buy a plate.

Once that has been done one time, from then on you get the yearly inspection and then go online and finish your registration, pay your money and receive your sticker in the mail. The vehicle inspection sticker and the license plate in one item, not two.

All that said, the satellite office for registration in the county could care less and just takes the money and gives you your license plate sticker. The office at the court house is a different matter all together.

At our court house the property tax folks are in the same room as the vehicle tax folks. They are really nice people but they have a thing for billfolds and purses. They want yours!

Happy Trails
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:54 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Just renewed the plate on my Flying Cloud. No inspection, no insurance documents, just pay the fee and get the sticker.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote