Old 01-13-2005, 08:42 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1969 31' Sovereign
Elizabeth , Colorado
I just went through the title process here in Colorado. I call it the sincere pumpkin search (as in Charlie Brown comic strip) The process is tedious but doable. The ideaq is that if you were trying to steal it you wouldn't go through the tedious steps to complete the process. Therefore,by your sincerity in completing the steps. you show that you are not stealing it. Make sure you have the steps required in writing from DMV before you start.
As suggested if the steps in your state are too stupid try an adjacent state or have some relative in another state inquire about their process. Keep smiling as you see just how stupid some of the requirements can be. Example:Step one. Take the trailer to the state police post (appointment required) and have the serial number inspected. Not a problem except the trailer was not ready for the road (it needed tires,bearings and brakes and lights checked first) . Solution drive it to a dealer with no plates to make it driveable to the state police. By now you have some of the picture, keep a cheery attitude and may the great pumpkin smile on your efforts.

stagecoachbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 06:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Or, just register it in Vermont. Vermont will not assign a title to any vehicle over 15 years old, even if previously titled, and accepts a Bill of Sale as proof of ownership. No State Police inspection required. I don't have a title on either of my trailers.

Later, you can re-register it in your home state, pointing out that it was "previously untitled" vehicle and they may accept the Vermont registration as sufficient proof of ownership.

Former full-timer | AIRSTREAM LIFE magazine | Tour of America (old blog) | Man In The Maze (current blog)

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 06:56 AM   #17
Old Paint, rolling again.
1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio

Originally Posted by whistler
...My question is 'How hard will it be to get a title for this old of a trailer?' I live in PA
The only correct answer is contact your DMV and do what they say. We all have stories but unless it's in PA it's irrelevant. Please try to do it legally...there are many ways to get around the system but that's why the system has become so restrictive. There's a place down south that will title almost anything for $250. You bought the camper legally and there is always a way to get it registered. Just be straight with them. The first person you talk to may not know all the hoops to jump through but keep trying and eventually you'll find someone with the knowledge , and professionalism to get you through this. You can usually ask questions on the DMV's web site too. Penn's contact page:

My state, Ohio, is tough with titles too but the solution was simple even though it took me a year to get the correct info for my '61 Serro Scotty. Not too cheap either ($50 extra) but simple and I sleep better knowing I didn't try to trick anybody.

Good luck,

Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 07:23 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
GA is the easiest.

GA does not require a tittle on vehicles and campers older then 1986. I have sold a couple vehicles to out of state buyers. I provided them with the info that it came from GA and our law does not require a tittle. The people at the tag office get anoyed when you ask them to get you a tittle in your name. LOL

After they were furnaished with that info they were able to submit for a new tittle from their DMV. One was to TX and the other was to VA.
1959 22' Caravanner
1988 R20 454 Suburban.
Atlanta, GA
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:02 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
This has nothing to do with Airstreams but it is about a trailer and its title, so here goes. About eighteen months ago my Haulmark racecar trailer was stolen from my home. I lost everything I had for racing but my racecar, which happened to be in my garage being repaired. My insurance quickly gave me a decent settlement, so that was pretty much the end of the saga.

Even after I bought a new trailer and got on with my racing life, though, I always did a double take when I'd see a trailer in the same pewter gray color as my old one. I'd examine the one I spotted until satisfied that it wasn't mine.

Last Saturday, my habit paid off - I found my old trailer sitting in a nice Nashville neighborhood! I had done a lot of mods to it, so it was pretty easy for me to identify from a distance. The police went to investigate, and then the story took yet another twist.

Turns out my original title had a one-character error in the VIN (vehicle identification number). The patrol officer compared the VIN I'd given her with the one on the trailer and concluded that it wasn't my trailer!

I contacted the Tennessee DMV, who determined that the VIN error was on the original Oregon title. The Oregon DMV researched it and sent me an "oops" letter. This was proof enough for the police, and they're now in the process of recovering the trailer.

Of course, I won't get the trailer back - it belongs to the insurance company. I may well have the pleasure of seeing the original thief brought to justice, though.

Moral #1 - If you live in a title state, never buy a trailer without the title. The fellow who has my old trailer is likely an innocent participant, but he's about to lose whatever he paid for it because he failed to follow this rule.

Moral #2 - Check your title now to make sure it's correct. The title clerk here in Tennessee had faithfully copied the VIN from the original Oregon title, which had been recorded wrong. I never looked at the trailer VIN plate but assumed that the title was correct.

Moral #3 - It's probably also a good idea to write your driver's license number or the VIN in a few obscure places in the trailer and record the locations. That will give you one more surefire ID method if something happens to the VIN plate.

I figure the odds of my finding that trailer must be in the billion-to-one range. If I don't go buy some lottery tickets now, I must be crazy!

mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote