Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2017, 12:26 PM   #1

1976 21' Globetrotter
East Greenville , Pennsylvania
Lost title

Hey guys, I'm looking to sell my Airstream and I seem to have misplaced the title.
I live in PA but I purchased the Airstream in NJ. Does anyone know how I would go about getting a replacement title? Unfortunately I don't have the contact info of the guy I bought it from anymore either.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!
dkeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:47 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
Assuming that the title is in your name contact the DMV on line or telephone and ask them for the procedure, In Texas this is all on line except that you have to appear in person at a regional DMV office and walk out the door with a new title. By Mail it takes 2 or three weeks.
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:13 PM   #3
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
presuming that you were titled and registered in Pennsylvania, here's a start -

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dv...rms/MV-38O.pdf

https://www.dot4.state.pa.us/locator...70322151028208

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
dkean,

I'm not an expert, but have had some experience with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in this area. The bottom line is, you need to go to a capable notary public that deals with titles and registration in your area. Most AAA offices are reasonably capable, if you're a member, although there are also many other private notaries available. The process will likely depend on whether you transferred the title and registration to your name at the time of purchase (and paid the sales tax). If so, getting a duplicate title will be a matter of filing the right form using the VIN and paying the fee. (That may even be able to be done online with a credit card.) If the title was signed over in NJ, but not yet transferred and registered to you in PA, the process may be arduous and might include running ads in the paper looking for the original owner, before proceeding through the "lost title" process. Some states require the title transfer be notarized at the time of sale. Pennsylvania is one of those states. Depending on whether NJ is a reciprocal state in this area with PA, could complicate things. PA may want the former owner present for the title transfer. (This is the situation I'm currently in for a small utility trailer; looking for the original owner (also a PA resident) to resign the title in front of a notary.) So, based on some limited experience, my opinion is to either find the title (which may still only be the starting point) or move to Maine.

Good luck and we hope a notary can help you through this,
Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:24 PM   #5

1976 21' Globetrotter
East Greenville , Pennsylvania
Thank you everyone for your insight! These responses have been helpful.
dkeane is offline   Reply With Quote