Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2002, 07:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

ID# question (first post)

I was at my Mom's today and took a pretty good look at her (my) Airstream. Mom's 81yrs. My Dad passed away in '99 and the trailer has sat since. I think it's a '69, 27' Overlander, rear bath. I'd say it's in "fair to middlin" condition. The most obvious problem is the door side, front curved glass is broken. I remember my Dad replaced the other front glass some years ago. The inside is a little tired, rugs, drapes, upholstery. I copied the serial # and was wondering if any interesting info. can be deciphered from it. I know on old cars some production info is sometimes included in the ID#. The # reads 127T9J389 . Also stamped on the plate above the ser. # is D 158 FJ . I don't think I want to do a "ground up" restoration on this trailer, but I would like to make it serviceable. My wife and I have an '02 GMC Crewcab to tow with. I watched this trailer sit in the original owner's yard, unused for at least 20yrs. prior to my parents purchasing it in approx. '90. My Dad replaced the 'fridge and had a roof A/C unit installed since it didn't have one from the factory. They used it quite a bit for 6/8yrs. I've enjoyed reading on this site for several mos. and I'm getting a little inspired to pull this thing around some. We had a '76, 31' Airstream that was damaged in Hurricane Andrew in '92 and haven't Airstreamed since. My folks had a '64, '28 I think, prior to this '69. Anyway, I've been around 'em enough to know I like 'em. Any hints, suggestions, advice or tips will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Howard, Miami, Fl.
PS. the Rusty Bucket screen name is from the condtion of my old Chevelles.
Rusty Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 07:10 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
ID# question (first post)

Greetings Howard!

Welcom to the forum.

If I understand what has been discussed at the various Vintage Airstream seminars and discussions that I have attended, your serial number:

Quote:
The # reads 127T9J389
Probably decodes as

I (my guess it that the first digit may be a letter rather than a "1") for International (trim package)

27 = 27' Length (would correspond to Overlanders of the late 1960s through the 1970s).

T = Center Twin Bed floorplan

9 = last digit of model year which would point to 1969 (IMHO)

J = Jackson Center, Ohio (plant where produced)

389 = sequential production number

I am more familiar with mid-1960s serial numbers, but I do think that the serial number points to a 1969 Overlander International with Center Twins.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 08:35 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Kevin, thanks for the prompt response and info. I'm a member on a Chevelle site, Team Chevelle, and the amount of knowlege and information shared on that site amazes me. Glad to have found another "gold mine" of info on things Airstream. Any ideas on the other numbers stamped on the plate? D 158 FJ Thanks again, Howard
Old 12-13-2002, 09:15 AM   #4
hex

Smile

Hey Howard, welcome aboard.
Best of luck with whatever you do regarding the trailer.

Is there any chance you or your mom have any pictures of the 31 footer that was damaged in the storm? What became of the unit?
It would be of great interest to know more about the whole circumstances and especially of how (if) the insurance performed and was settled.And to see/hear how the Airstream handled (or didn't) the storm.
Don't want or mean to pry, but it all adds to the knowledge base when folks are willing to share it.

Happy trails,
hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 12:36 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Hex,
The '31 was mine and my wife's. The '27 was (is) my parents. The '31 suffered mainly interior water damage to the carpet and upholstery. Suffered minor dents and scratches and tore the A/C housing off the roof. I knew that some models had particle board floors, so I pulled up all of the wet carpet and padding. The floor was plywood and dried out OK. I had no ins. coverage (dumb, I know) but my home owners policy paid an additional $1,000 for the trailer damage in addition to the damage to my residence. A little plug here for State Farm, they stayed and payed after so many companies bailed out. I sold the trailer, no rugs, bad A/C to a friend that owns a local plant nursery. He still uses it for a small office/apt. at the nursery. It is a center bath model. I nabbed the alum. tanks for my folks trailer and I'm going to try and get the alum. wheels too.