Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2006, 03:00 PM   #21
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
When I lived in Virginia I had a title mutilated (ex wife) and had to be re-issued in able to sell the trailer. The bank that held the lein and I were able to get that done. It can be done but I don't remember just all the details.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:30 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Well don't slam me too hard for being too nice. Fool me once, shame on them. Fool me twice, shame on me. I won't be fooled again. First RV purchase.

A friend of mine suggested an idea similar to the one above about telling the sheriff I suspect it's stolen and seeing if they'd look into it. Said they'd probably extend that to checking out all the RVs sold by the place, many of which are used, and that could take months. Of course no transactions could be conducted during this time so it'd put them out of business.

I didn't want to get like that. But it might come to that. I'm starting to think now I shouldn't have given them until next Wednesday. I may get my lawyer uncle to send them a letter now. If they still don't reply, then I do some of the harsher ideas mentioned on here.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-15-2006, 04:55 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
To clarify...

What is suggested was to go in to the local law enforcement office in person, ask to file a felony theft report, insist on speaking to an investigating officer or a detective. Bring your paperwork. Tell them you have no title and the dealer has your money. Don't let them try and tell you it is a civil matter.

The same day or the day after, the officer will make a call to the dealership. Faced with a felony theft report and possible investigation, you will either get your money back or a title from the dealership.

Do you want to legally own this? Do you want to be able to sell it again someday? If part of your contract involved a title transfer and that did not take place, you do not own this.....
Jim Jarzabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 05:03 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Jim,

That's a good idea and I may very well do it. The only hitch is that I've put more money into it as well as a ton of my labor. So, I'd actually want more than just a refund. I'd want a refund plus my labor plus my other expenditures on it. And that's what I told the GM. Either give me a refund plus my time plus my extra outlay, or get me the title now.

I'd rather just have the title so I can carry on with my mods. But you're right, I don't own it now.

I'll keep everyone posted on this. I should have asked for advice sooner.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Small towns and crummy deals

Jim -

You mentioned that you live in a small town and remember being in HS with the GM of this dealership. I would start asking around town about the business practices of this place - my $ would be on the fact you will likely find others with similar experiences in and around town. It really is sort of a shame that people don't speak up LOUDLY about being jerked around, ripped off and treated badly, when they deal with places/ people like this. I think that it mainly has to be with embarrasment - feeling foolish. I say GET MAD!

Sorry to hear that you have had a bad time of it with this AS and its paperwork. Stay after them and let EVERYONE you know hear about this place. There is no reason, based on your experience, that you shouldn't or can't spread the joy around of thier treatement of you. I know that small town WV (or anywhere) can be an interesting place to live. Take advantage of that small town, and that folks LOVE hearing about others in town.... Smile!

Make em sweat!

Good luck!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 03:41 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Today I got my Title

Today I got my title. It has only taken nearly six months.

I sent a nasty gram to the owner of the dealership a couple weeks ago and gave him until Wednesday the 22nd of February to either get me the title, refund my money plus some for the work I've done, or meet me in court. He called me up on Tuesday the 21st and said he'd personally driven down to the PO's place in Maryland and gotten the title. His title girl was supposed to mail it to me on Tuesday afternoon. I spoke to her that day and she told me she was putting it in the mail right then.

She sent me an email yesterday evening late saying she was going to UPS 2nd day it. I'm thinking "What happened to Tuesday?" But then she emails me one minute later before I could reply and says "How about a personal delivery?" and then telephones me to ask the same. I told her that would be wonderful. Today, the father of the owner came by and hand delivered my title. He was very apologetic about the entire affair.

From what I gather, it was not the GM/Owner who screwed up. He gave this to his title clerk and told her to take care of it and that girl messed things up. Whatever the case, the squeaky wheel (that admittedly took way too long to squeak) got the grease. The GM was very apologetic about the whole thing and I understand that title girl got chewed out pretty good. I guess shame on him for not running a tighter ship than he does, and shame on me for allowing it to go on for way too long. But, in the end when he saw what was going on, the GM made it right. I now own my Airstream, and can continue on.

For those that are interested, the name of the dealership is Outdoor Express RV, in Falling Waters, WV. They're right by the MD border. They are not an Airstream dealer, but rather sell several SOB's there new. My trailer was on the lot as a favor to a friend of the GM.

At any rate, I won't badmouth them too much. It was ludicrous to take this long, but the guy did make it right when I pressed him. He'd thought the title girl had taken care of it months ago. I bet he watches her a little more closely now. I don't think he's going to do any more consignment deals for his buddies either.

I have learned a valuable lesson here. I will not buy another one unless the title is clear and in front of me!!!!

Let the Mon-Stream creation begin!
Old 02-25-2006, 04:25 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Jim,
So glad you got it. I was telling my husband about it the other night and we had to share a laugh on our part. We drove 500 miles to pick up our Airstream, paid cash, hooked up and left about 100 miles down the road I looked over at my husband and asked him did he get the title, he looked at me with this dumb look and said no, I thought you did. Anyway when we got home the seller had left a msg and I called him back and he mailed it to us.
See what happens when you are so excited about getting your first Airstream.

Becky
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 05:37 PM   #28
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Good for you Jim....

Sorry you had that experience, glad its resolved.
As a side note in defense of sisters in the workplace...no disrespect intended...
I gotta say Jim, based on experience, stuff rolls down hill in offices, I'm kinda thinking the 'title girl' took the fall for someone else... Most office assistants, imho, are more organized than their bosses, how many times do you see the boss organizing his secretary's desk? Reminding the secretary of the appointments etc.?
Old 02-25-2006, 07:13 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Steph,

You may be right. I think that whole place is utterly disorganized. They're likely to not see much of me down there for a long while!

As a side note, good name: My daughter's name is Stephanie

Stay warm up there!
Old 04-25-2021, 06:32 PM   #30

2021 16' Bambi
sarasota , Florida
Title

I still have not received my Title to a NEW AS BAMBI that I bought several months ago. Due to family illness, I need to sell as soon as possible. I have reached out to dealer but no response yet. Why is taking so long?
Bambi12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:36 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
You might want to check the following newer thread, as this one is about 15 years old:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f35...al-221193.html

The OP there is also having a tough time. Apparently the virus pandemic has messed up many DMV and related infrastructures.

Have you called the toll-free number for Airstream in your paperwork? Do you have a working relationship with an attorney who could make a phone call to the dealer for you?

Sorry for your troubles . . . was wondering why you had not followed up on your "learning to back up" thread.

Good luck.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote