Old 12-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #1
Newbie campers

Currently Looking...
Middletown , Connecticut
how do i buy a trailer out of state?

i search used trailers online, let's say i see one i'm serious about checking out. perhaps i hit up the forum to see if anyone can do a local look at. my big question is how do i drive my vehicle to pick it up, how is registration done? or maybe buyer brings tag from another trailer to pick it up?

any help appreciated for first timer.

MEL868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
Several options

It really depends on current registration status and the two states involved. If it has a current tag, just tow it home with that and register it in your home state when you get back.
If not, you can normally apply for a temporary tag good for 10-20 days and then complete the new registration when you get home.
A third option, depending on the state, is to do the paperwork in your home state and register it before you drive out. Take the new tag with you and put it on for the trip home. This only works if the sale is completed prior to the delivery trip of course...

BambiTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:30 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
2005 30' Safari
1977 28' Argosy 28
North Port , Florida
Generally your best bet is to get a temporary tag from the state of purchase. Then register it when you get home. When I bought mine out of state it was just a $10 fee for the temp tag.
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:42 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Check with your DMV. In my state, you can print off a temporary permit your home computer that is good for 3 days. It is 5 bucks.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I bought my Bambi II in Florida. Drove over, paid cash and towed it home. Next day made trip down to county tax office, gave them $32 for a tag, came home and attached attached the tag. Could not of been any easier. I had already prearranged insurance before picking up the trailer so no worries there.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
You're good for the trip home in some states with just a bill of sale on your person. I've bought cars and driven them home with no plate, no issue.

Tow Vehicle: Ram Laramie 2500 crew cab, Cummins 6.7 Turbodiesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:01 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
You need to talk to the DMV in the state you intend to purchase it from they all have different rules some collect sales tax and some don't . I check this out last year when We were looking out of state . make sure you have collision insurance before you tow it home .
Buying form a dealer will be different than from a private owner .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:14 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
A bill of sale is your ticket. Just make sure you tow directly home. If you live in CT, and you bought in VA, your bill of sale won't work in GA. Also, don't take 6 weeks to get home. You have enough time to make the trip, plus one or two days. Don't expect to get pulled over unless you are driving dangerously.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Most states will issue a (up to) 30 day tag for a new purchase. Bill of Sale & proof of insurance will be required. Sales tax needs to be paid when registering the RV in your home state. Check with the state your purchasing from regarding temporary tag.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:45 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
We bought ours in Missouri and towed it back to Texas just before thanksgiving. We wanted to camp in Arkansas and east Texas on the way. I got a one trip temp tag from my local tax office for $5. I could add as many stops as I wanted and had 21 days to complete the trip. Previous owner kept tags. I had the title as well as the application for a new title the owners had to sign in addition to the title. Also had insurance ready to confirm and activate the day I bought it. Call your local tax office as a starting point. I also signed a form for the previous owner related to property tax for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:20 AM   #11
Newbie campers

Currently Looking...
Middletown , Connecticut
thanks all, didn't know about temp tags haven't bought anything out of state, but easy enough!
MEL868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:22 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEL868 View Post
thanks all, didn't know about temp tags haven't bought anything out of state, but easy enough!
A 10 day temporary tag is issued with your application for registration / tittle for an out of state or in state purchase of a used vehicle, which allows you to get it inspected. If you buy from a dealer they can get a temporary tag at time of the purchase.

What Connecticut says (mid way down the page) >>>
http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a...=|27883|#27884

add edit
I've bought four trailers and a truck or two out of state. The process is very similar in every state I have experienced.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Check with the DMV in your home state, see what they require for registration. Kentucky won't issue a plate until the trailer is inspected and certified. I pulled ours home from Tennessee with no plate, no problems, had a bill of sale, signed over title and all the original papers. Set up an appointment for the inspector to meet me at the storage lot. He checked it out for all the safety devices, VIN, etc., then gave me a certification I took to the DMV and got my plate.

We have property tax and the following year I had to call them an negotiate the value of the trailer, mailed it in with the renewal and I'm good to go from now on.

Each state is different, check with yours before traveling but have the signed over title and bill of sale, you should be OK. Kentucky doesn't require a plate on boat trailers but I've traveled to many states without one and never had a problem. YMMV

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I bought 2 airstreams from out of state, paid for them , called my insurance co, and hooked up and went on vacation, you got 30-45 days to buy the plates, don't worry about it..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:11 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Due Diligence

Please check with DMV of seller's AND yours as to their procedures. For example, Michigan and Texas have different quirks in how Titles are held. Be SURE the seller has a CLEAR & TRANSFERABLE Title (without Leins). Don't transfer cash until you are certain you know all you can about the trailer's pedigree - and ownership background. Find out if a AS dealer is nearby; I've had seller meet me at that point (I've paid for the inspection). Don't let AS lust cloud YOUR decision making process. Get (or give when selling) bank VERIFIED certified check!! Don't meet on some old creepy location to close a deal! Scammers just love to try and sell to the unwary. Best wishes on your adventure!!
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:12 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Out-of-sate buying

Previous comments were on the mark! Also, if there's a title for the trailer you are buying, DON'T leave the seller with your trailer without the title in your hand! Make sure there's no lien on the title too! Except NO excuses from the seller about the title. If you can't leave with the trailer AND a clean and clear title, don't pay for the trailer! Without the title, you're going to have a real hard time getting a new title issued to you in your home state, even if you have a bill of sale. The title is more important than the bill of sale!
GTOChucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Connecticut Trailer Registrations

Couldn't find out how long for a trailer, but for cars in Connecticut it's 60 days.
http://www.dmv.org/ct-connecticut/car-registration.php
If you are bringing a vehicle to Connecticut from another state, you have 60 days to transfer your previous vehicle registration to the Connecticut DMV.

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=810&q=245094

Used manufactured trailer:
To register a used manufactured trailer you will need the following:
  1. Bill of Sale (form H-31) or dealer invoice identifying the trailer – must include the buyer and seller information, purchase price, year, make, body style, and *VIN of trailer.
  2. If previously registered in Connecticut and the GVWR is 3,000 lbs. or less proof of CT registration is required. If the trailer was previously registered out-of-state a VIN verification will be required.
  3. Title properly assigned if GVWR is over 3,000 lbs. and under 20 model years old.
  4. Completed Application for Registration and Certificate of Title (Form H-13). Download the form, fill out online, and print to bring with you.
  5. Identification will be required to register a trailer. Please see list of Acceptable Forms of Identification.
  6. The trailer may require a safety inspection or VIN verification:
A 10-day temporary registration will be issued to bring the vehicle to inspection. The cost of the temporary plate is $21 for 10 days.
*If the trailer does not have a VIN or if the VIN is missing, an inspection will be required, no fee, and a VIN will be assigned. Please see Reassignment of Missing Trailer VIN and Assignment of VIN for Trailers for more information. There is a $50 fee for the new VIN if the trailers GVWR is over 3,000 lbs.
Fees (see acceptable forms of payment):
  • Registration fee - $19 to $22.50 (depending on month registered). See acceptable forms of payment.
  • Title fee - $25 and $10 for each lien-holder listed. (if the GVWR is over 3,000 lbs. and uner 29 years old). Safety plate fee - $5.
  • Sales tax will be 6.35 percent for vehicles purchased at $50,000 or less. In addition, the sales tax will be 7.75 percent for vehicles over $50,000. Credit will be given if tax was paid to a Connecticut licensed dealer and and the appropriate area is completed on the application for registration (form H-13).
  • Administrative fee - $10, if the vehicle was previously registered out of state or if the vehicle requires a DMV inspection.
A 10-day temporary registration will be issued to bring the vehicle to inspection. The cost of the temporary plate is $21 for 10 days. Sales tax is collected at the time the temporary plate is issued.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 03:13 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
We live in VT and bought ours at Colonial AS in NJ. They can and will handle all the details for you. It basically is a temp plate in NJ and then you go home to your state and you register it at home.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:33 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
I bought my AS from a nice man in Houston. We checked the trailer out, found it met with our approval, then paid by pre-arranged electronic transfer. When the funds arrived in his bank account, he gave me the title and asked me to send back the license plate when we got home. We hooked up and drove home to Tennessee with no problem at all. We did send him his plate.��
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:44 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Check the VIN yourself and make sure it matches the title exactly!

Tow Vehicle: Ram Laramie 2500 crew cab, Cummins 6.7 Turbodiesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote