Old 12-23-2016, 12:11 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Due Diligence

Please check with DMV of seller's AND yours as to their procedures. For example, Michigan and Texas have different quirks in how Titles are held. Be SURE the seller has a CLEAR & TRANSFERABLE Title (without Leins). Don't transfer cash until you are certain you know all you can about the trailer's pedigree - and ownership background. Find out if a AS dealer is nearby; I've had seller meet me at that point (I've paid for the inspection). Don't let AS lust cloud YOUR decision making process. Get (or give when selling) bank VERIFIED certified check!! Don't meet on some old creepy location to close a deal! Scammers just love to try and sell to the unwary. Best wishes on your adventure!!

Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:12 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Out-of-sate buying

Previous comments were on the mark! Also, if there's a title for the trailer you are buying, DON'T leave the seller with your trailer without the title in your hand! Make sure there's no lien on the title too! Except NO excuses from the seller about the title. If you can't leave with the trailer AND a clean and clear title, don't pay for the trailer! Without the title, you're going to have a real hard time getting a new title issued to you in your home state, even if you have a bill of sale. The title is more important than the bill of sale!

GTOChucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Connecticut Trailer Registrations

Couldn't find out how long for a trailer, but for cars in Connecticut it's 60 days.
http://www.dmv.org/ct-connecticut/car-registration.php
If you are bringing a vehicle to Connecticut from another state, you have 60 days to transfer your previous vehicle registration to the Connecticut DMV.

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=810&q=245094

Used manufactured trailer:
To register a used manufactured trailer you will need the following:
  1. Bill of Sale (form H-31) or dealer invoice identifying the trailer – must include the buyer and seller information, purchase price, year, make, body style, and *VIN of trailer.
  2. If previously registered in Connecticut and the GVWR is 3,000 lbs. or less proof of CT registration is required. If the trailer was previously registered out-of-state a VIN verification will be required.
  3. Title properly assigned if GVWR is over 3,000 lbs. and under 20 model years old.
  4. Completed Application for Registration and Certificate of Title (Form H-13). Download the form, fill out online, and print to bring with you.
  5. Identification will be required to register a trailer. Please see list of Acceptable Forms of Identification.
  6. The trailer may require a safety inspection or VIN verification:
A 10-day temporary registration will be issued to bring the vehicle to inspection. The cost of the temporary plate is $21 for 10 days.
*If the trailer does not have a VIN or if the VIN is missing, an inspection will be required, no fee, and a VIN will be assigned. Please see Reassignment of Missing Trailer VIN and Assignment of VIN for Trailers for more information. There is a $50 fee for the new VIN if the trailers GVWR is over 3,000 lbs.
Fees (see acceptable forms of payment):
  • Registration fee - $19 to $22.50 (depending on month registered). See acceptable forms of payment.
  • Title fee - $25 and $10 for each lien-holder listed. (if the GVWR is over 3,000 lbs. and uner 29 years old). Safety plate fee - $5.
  • Sales tax will be 6.35 percent for vehicles purchased at $50,000 or less. In addition, the sales tax will be 7.75 percent for vehicles over $50,000. Credit will be given if tax was paid to a Connecticut licensed dealer and and the appropriate area is completed on the application for registration (form H-13).
  • Administrative fee - $10, if the vehicle was previously registered out of state or if the vehicle requires a DMV inspection.
A 10-day temporary registration will be issued to bring the vehicle to inspection. The cost of the temporary plate is $21 for 10 days. Sales tax is collected at the time the temporary plate is issued.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 03:13 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
We live in VT and bought ours at Colonial AS in NJ. They can and will handle all the details for you. It basically is a temp plate in NJ and then you go home to your state and you register it at home.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:33 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
I bought my AS from a nice man in Houston. We checked the trailer out, found it met with our approval, then paid by pre-arranged electronic transfer. When the funds arrived in his bank account, he gave me the title and asked me to send back the license plate when we got home. We hooked up and drove home to Tennessee with no problem at all. We did send him his plate.��
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:44 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Check the VIN yourself and make sure it matches the title exactly!

Tow Vehicle: Ram Laramie 2500 crew cab, Cummins 6.7 Turbodiesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:53 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
There is no reason to make a big deal of buying out of state, just have your paper work and insurance receipt with you and go.I have bought several trucks and trailers and vacationed on the way home and never had a problem, even in California..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:39 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Hmmm, literally en route to finalize a private purchase and tow back to Texas. I hadn't thought about the plates, presuming I would tow back with the existing plates and registration, then register at home. Already set-up insurance coverage. Trusting the plates won't be an issue, even if I have to mail them back to the seller.

banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote