Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Cambridge , Massachusetts
How about this title scenario

Suppose I live in Massachusetts and buy a forty year old forlorn trailer that's been out in a field in Nebraska for the past ten years and is sold without a title. I pick up the trailer and take it directly to New Mexico where I spend the next several months doing a basic restoration at a location that I have rented short term for this purpose. Subsequently, I spend several months each year touring in various regions of the country. When not in use, I put the trailer into dead storage where ever I left off touring and return to and live in my residence in Massachusetts until I'm ready to tour again. How do I go about getting a title for this trailer? What state would issue the title? What plate (registration) do I use for the initial move from Nebraska to New Mexico? Note that while I do in fact live in Massachusetts, the choice to use Nebraska and New Mexico in this example is for illustrative purposes only. Thanks in advance for any help with this matter.
JoePfznik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePfznik
...Note that while I do in fact live in Massachusetts, the choice to use Nebraska and New Mexico in this example is for illustrative purposes only...
the advice given back here (another flavor of the same question) is still relevant.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f352...ons-36136.html

the 'rules' vary for each state, so be specific or check on the dmv regulations online for the specific state.

back taxes for the title are an issue too in some states...

some will let ya transport and some will issue an 'in transport' tag, others don't allow either.

south dakota is perhaps the easiest state to register as a full timer...

but licensing and insuring some place OTHER than your legal residence isn't legal in most states...

IF you have a residence in 2 states, or pay income taxes in multiple states, it can work.

you can leave/store the tv/trailer anywhere but the tag and title are issues.

don't ya wanna pay mass taxes like a responsible citizen ?

lastly buying without a title, then putting MONEY/TIME into a restoration without a title is a very bad idea....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Alabama -just requires bill of sale to register,any trailer over 10 years,don`t know if you must have physical address there or not.I`m lucky,have a brother who lives there,he was able to get my Spartanette registered {against his wife`s objections} then signed it back to me as a gift. Now to get an Ohio title shouldn`t be a problem. I hope.
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Generally speaking, vehicles are registered in the state in which one resides. The most recognized method for determining residency is the locale in which one is registered to vote. That being said, state laws differ in requirements for claiming residency.
Checking the laws in a state in which you are interested in registering the trailer would be in order to find the true and correct answer.

I can say that all states must honor a legitimate title and tag from any other state. So, unless there is a specific advantage in your particular situation for not registering the trailer in your home state, the simplest solution would be to tag it there. The plan you mentioned of storing the trailer at the last point of use would still be a possibility, so long as you renew the tag at the required interval.

As for a new title, again the best answer is to inquire as to the process of the obtaining a tag and or title for the trailer in the states in question, and then employ that process.

The earlier thread that mentioned having a friend or family member obtain a title in a state that has a more accommodating process may be helpful. Then transfer ownership to you in the state in which you wish to tag the trailer.

Good Luck, and welcome to the forums!

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote