Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Montauk , New York
Great deal but No Title, Should I get it? How to get title in MI or NY?

Just won a bidding war on ebay for a '62 24' Land Yacht Airstream that we (a band) plan on to transforming into a mobile recording studio!

The seller says check it out, if you don't like it then don't buy it. It seems a great deal (winning bid was $1175), in solid enough condition but gutted like we want. Only problem is it's in Paradise...Paradise, Michigan (practically Canada) and we're in Long Island, NY. Also it' has NO TITLE. So before we make the 20 hr trek to Paradise, I want to make sure we can get a title!

Seller got it about 5 years ago from a guy down the road who has since moved so no way of contacting previous owner.

What would we (or the seller) have to do to get a title in either MI or NY? Is it worth it?
Thanks! Can't wait to fulfill our airstream dream!
Lauren
Gypset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
You need to check with your DMV--don't take legal advice here. Spell out the exact situation to the clerk and get all the required forms in your hands before you decide to go pick up the trailer--I picked up an Airstream in California and got at least three different stories from CA DMV (over the phone) before I gave up with them and did a bond in Colorado. There are lots of details that can trip you up. In most states you can post a bond ($100-$200) and get a provisional title for 5 years.

That being said, Colorado passed a law a couple years ago that allowed owners of trailers more than 25 years old to simply document the known facts, attest to a personal bond, do a VIN search, and viola!, you could register the vehicle. (this is a bit of an over simplification, of course) You have to do this within 2 years of purchase and the documentation has to be significantly more robust than "I found this trailer and it followed me home."

Zep
Old 10-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Zep - what are you doing up in the middle of the night?

Lauren, I totally agree with Zep. Laws vary from state to state a lot. If the current owner can get a new title in MI, that might help you in NY.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Montauk , New York
Will Do

Thanks for your reply. I am working on following up with both MI and NY DMVs, but trying to find answers on the DMV websites is always a pain and the seller says you can't call to speak to someone at the MI DMV, he would have to visit.

If anyone has any experience with various loopholes that I can look into when I visit the DMV that would be helpful.

Thanks!
Lauren
Old 10-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Check out our saga on the Pacer; hopefully your situation is easier than ours.
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i'd guess that the MI seller has never registered the trailer. while my info is very dated, in NY you might be able to file for ownership as abandoned property.... but it isn't on your property. the procedure involved mailing the last registered owner a certified letter. if the letter is returned unanswered, you've cleared the first hurdle.

prior to 1973 ny does not issue titles.

the current owner should go to DMV and apply for ownership/title.

i once worked where a customer had a stolen car recovered after about 15 years. it was being used at a race track. the police ran the vin and located him and turned it over to him.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Adger , Alabama
When I bought my trailer (also a '62 trade wind) the State of Alabama told me trailers that old were never issued titles. I had to have a notarized bill of sale and then a local police officer had to inspect the vehicle to verify the vin on the bill of sale. The state then issued me a tag.
bcaffee29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
portland , Oregon
i bought my 57 flying cloud knowing that there was a title snafu. the previous owners- two different collectors one in calif one in wa had never signed the title into their names. the trailer was last registered in idaho and i live in oregon !!so i had the name for the last registered owner and had to track her down . i joined a "find anyone " service on the internet and located her last 3 addresses. sent registered letters to all three with a long letter of explaination , and a plea to expedite the properly signed over title.

it turns out that she was 93 years old. she signed the title, made me a co owner and then signed a release of all interest in the trailer. it turned out well for me with a little work, but others are not so lucky.
chris
cbcnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
prior to 1973 ny does not issue titles.
If this is true a title is not needed.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
no, it depends on the state of the last registration. it will need to be verified (my info is over 5 years old) but if the vehicle was titled, ny will ask for the title and not give one from ny when transferred to ny.

btw, in ny you have about 20 days from sale to transfer the ownership to avoid a $$$ penalty.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Montauk , New York
Update:
So we found out we just need to get the weight of the trailer and fill out this form (TR-205 Certification of Ownership) at the sec of state office and they can get a new title for it, hopefully in about a week.

Owner just called to tell me he's emptying the trailer and taking it to get weighed tomorrow
Fingers crossed!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Highland , Utah
This was so fun to read! I hope all of your troubles paid off and you are now recording, I also hop it help me in my situation as I need a title too and I as yet do not even know what I have. Happily Crossed Fingers For You!
vintagecaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:03 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
It was for me, I sold a 1964 Volvo, the last registration had a transfer space on the back that had to be signed and dated by both parties. You'll have to check with the State of sale.

BTW...when I bought a boat out of state I was able to get temporary transport tag's for 2 buck's.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:15 PM   #14

1977 Argosy 28
Calexico , California
Is there some where to enter in the VIN of a 77 Argosy 28 and get the background of ownerships,etc?
MY77Argosy28 is offline   Reply With Quote