Old 05-30-2008, 03:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Gee, thanks, didn't even realize it. I bet I'm the only "Rivet Master" who doesn't have an Airstream. I guess I'm one chatty mofo.

The joke about Holiday Inn Express is that you appear to have all of the answers...

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Probably better to have rivet master status and still be looking than four rivet status and a frameless trailer! No worries you'll find one. Wise to do the research. I probably should have looked before leaping...but I like leaping...it's where I got the scars.

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkendall
Ok, we will see how this works.

I live in an area loaded with AS and other trailers. There is a guy who is getting them for scrap. Doing a "clean-up" type operation in the area. He does not care about titles because he is scrapping them. That hurts.

Is there a way to get a title in Texas? Lets say I find a 1952 (I know where about 20 total in the 50-60 range are) AS and get permission to remove it. What would be the steps to title it and restore? And would it be worth the hassle as a hobby?

I know, a hobby is something you spend money on, not make it.

I just hate to see good Airstreams getting cut up for scrap. I saw one 74' that looked like it was almost new cut to shreds.

Keep in mind, this is in Texas. I have reviewed the TxDot info on line, but don't see anything in this area to help.
Rceptex's methods are viable options for sure. There are two possessory type lien situations in Texas: a garageman's lein and a worker's lein. The garageman's lein carries a right to force a sale, after proper notice, whereas the worker's lein carries a simple right of possession, repossession in some cases, until payment is received in full.

The bond scenerio happens in a situation where the department of motor vehicles refuses to issue a title after an application is filed. There an applicant has a right to a hearing before the local assessor-collector and may submit evidence. Or the applicant may file a bond in an amount equal to one and one-half times the value of the vehicle. Such a bond would expire on the third anniversary of the date the bond became effective.

Of course it seems like the simplest way, although not possible in your scenerio, would be to find the owner and have them make an application for a lost or destroyed certificate of title. In some situations it might be possible to make an application for a salvage motor vehicle certificate. And then after repairs an application for certificate of title by the rebuilder of a salvage vehicle!

Interestingly a salvage dealer that receives a properly assigned certificate of title is required to submit to the DMV a report stating that the vehicle will be scrapped and accompanied by the certificate of title. So check with the salvage dealer he's probably not supposed to be scrapping vehicles without some form of title and a report to DMV. And for obvious reasons...

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 05-30-2008, 05:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by monocoque
In some situations it might be possible to make an application for a salvage motor vehicle certificate.

Interestingly a salvage dealer that receives a properly assigned certificate of title is required to submit to the DMV a report stating that the vehicle will be scrapped accompanied by the certificate of title.
Brings up an interesting point. If you were wanting to insure a vehicle with a salvage title, would you be able to find an insurance company willing to do it?

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bake315
Brings up an interesting point. If you were wanting to insure a vehicle with a salvage title, would you be able to find an insurance company willing to do it?
I'm sure somebody would take your money. But keep in mind a person with a salvage title may not operate it on a public highway, even in Texas.

A person who holds a salvage vehicle title for a motor vehicle:

(1) is entitled to possess, transport, dismantle,
scrap, destroy, repair, rebuild, reconstruct, record a lien on, and sell, transfer, or release ownership of the motor vehicle or a used part from the motor vehicle; and

(2) may not operate or permit the operation of the
motor vehicle on a public highway, in addition to any other requirement of law.

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 05-30-2008, 06:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Do you have a friend in New York state? I bought an Airstream without a title,in New York and had a temperary title and licence in 20 minutes. It had to be made out in his name for 5 weeks for a title search, then he sold it to me and I took it across the border and licenced it Ontario where they are very hard to deal with without the original title.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
You need a friend in Alabama,no title required on trailer{I think it`s older than 10 yrs}.I have a brother there who registered my Spartanette with just a Bill of Sale from FL.,got the Alabama plate,towed to Ohio.He then wrote me b.o.s. since Alabama doesn`t have title Ohio issued me one. Dave
Old 05-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by monocoque
I'm sure somebody would take your money. But keep in mind a person with a salvage title may not operate it on a public highway, even in Texas.

A person who holds a salvage vehicle title for a motor vehicle:

(1) is entitled to possess, transport, dismantle,
scrap, destroy, repair, rebuild, reconstruct, record a lien on, and sell, transfer, or release ownership of the motor vehicle or a used part from the motor vehicle; and

(2) may not operate or permit the operation of the
motor vehicle on a public highway, in addition to any other requirement of law.

Where did you get your information about not being able to operate a salvage title vechicle or trailer on a public highway in Texas?

How would you get the salvage title returned to a regular title after it was made road worthy???

Kay
Old 05-30-2008, 09:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnegie1935
Where did you get your information about not being able to operate a salvage title vechicle or trailer on a public highway in Texas?
Kay
Post number 19 contains language directly from the Texas statute. In other words it's a direct quote from the law itself.

Quote:
How would you get the salvage title returned to a regular title after it was made road worthy???
You would need to file an application for certificate of title by the rebuilder of a salvage vehicle. There are specific provisions in the law for this type of application.

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 05-30-2008, 10:05 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
It has been my experience the rule rather than the exception is when you get to the end of the line and are told no get on the next line and 50/50 you will get a yes. I was told no a bunch or times and then contacted a state management level DMV employee and he gave me his stamp of approval and instructed the local DMV to give me what I was entitled to.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:02 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Wimberley , Texas
A few years ago I bought a deer lease trailer with no title, bill of sale only. I was in the processs of selling it and wondered what it would take to title it. The ladies at the Hays County accessors office gave me the name of a title bonding company, I don't recall the name. The company wanted all the pertinent info on the trailer in an attempt to put a value on the trailer. For a fee they would issue a bonded title or something to that effect. For this trailer it wasn't worth the expense incurred. It may be in your case.
My advice would be to go to the Travis County tax accessor, get in writing EXACTLY what they require. It might be better to get that info from the head cheese vs. the the folks at the front counter.
That being said, I have on numerous occasions questioned the personel in the accessors office until it was absolutely clear that I was doing the right thing to satisfy their requirements without wasting time and money. Be absolutely clear, be nice, and don't take "I think" or "I don't know" as an answer and you should get thru the tape unscathed with some money left over. Good luck

Utee94...I picked my Airstream in Hyde Park. It took a welder to get it home. It's a piece...but has potential.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Just checking back and wanted to post my thanks to everyone for their contributions and for the interesting discussion.

swhite-- Hyde Park? Really?? I've been dreaming of finding one just within 300 miles or so, Hyde Park would be amazing!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:17 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
On a related subject - does anyone know how I can do a title search in Texas? I'm curious how many owners my trailer has had....

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:17 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
filing a bond when an application for title is denied

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite832
A few years ago I bought a deer lease trailer with no title, bill of sale only. I was in the processs of selling it and wondered what it would take to title it. The ladies at the Hays County accessors office gave me the name of a title bonding company, I don't recall the name. The company wanted all the pertinent info on the trailer in an attempt to put a value on the trailer. For a fee they would issue a bonded title or something to that effect. For this trailer it wasn't worth the expense incurred. It may be in your case.
My advice would be to go to the Travis County tax accessor, get in writing EXACTLY what they require. It might be better to get that info from the head cheese vs. the the folks at the front counter.
That being said, I have on numerous occasions questioned the personel in the accessors office until it was absolutely clear that I was doing the right thing to satisfy their requirements without wasting time and money. Be absolutely clear, be nice, and don't take "I think" or "I don't know" as an answer and you should get thru the tape unscathed with some money left over. Good luck
Good advise. And to go along with good manners sometimes it helps to know exactly what the language says directly out of the Transportation Code:

Texas Transportation Code, Chapter 501, Certificate of Title Act

§ 501.053. FILING OF BOND AS ALTERNATIVE TO HEARING.
(a) As an alternative to the procedure provided by Section
501.052, the person may file a bond with the department. On the
filing of the bond the department may issue the certificate of
title.
(b) The bond must be:
(1) in the form prescribed by the department;
(2) executed by the applicant;
(3) issued by a person authorized to conduct a surety
business in this state;
(4) in an amount equal to one and one-half times the
value of the vehicle as determined by the department; and
(5) conditioned to indemnify all prior owners and
lienholders and all subsequent purchasers of the vehicle or persons
who acquire a security interest in the vehicle, and their
successors in interest, against any expense, loss, or damage,
including reasonable attorney's fees, occurring because of the
issuance of the certificate of title for the vehicle or for a defect
in or undisclosed security interest on the right, title, or
interest of the applicant to the vehicle.
(c) An interested person has a right of action to recover on
the bond for a breach of the bond's condition. The aggregate
liability of the surety to all persons may not exceed the amount of
the bond.
(d) A bond under this section expires on the third
anniversary of the date the bond became effective. The department
shall return an expired bond to the person who filed the bond unless
the department has been notified of a pending action to recover on
the bond.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

- Captain Jack Sparrow