Old 11-09-2015, 10:36 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1974 Argosy 26
Charlotte , North Carolina
FL Seller never transferred title to his name... How to title in NC?

Hello!
We just bought a 1967 Overlander from a guy in Jacksonville, FL over the weekend. He had the title from when he bought it a couple of years ago (from a NC seller), it's signed over to him and notarized and everything, BUT he never ended up doing anything with it and so he never got the title in his name in FL.

So it's the official title in the name of the prior seller, signed over to him on the back (dated a few years ago).

We have that, and our bill of sale from him. I know I should have insisted he do something with it, but we drove 5 1/2 hrs straight there with 4 kids in the car and it was 8pm at night He's super nice though, and I'm sure he'll work with me on it if needed, but if there's some way for me to get this done without inconveniencing him too much, I'd love to go that route (we got it for what I thought was a fair price and he was very accommodating with us).

We'll need to get it titled in our name now in NC.

Apologies if this has been covered somewhere...I tried searching for this on here, but just kept coming across no title situations.

Thanks for your help!

Old 11-09-2015, 10:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
FL Seller never transferred title to his name... How to title in NC?

Unless he is a dealer and that is stated on the title next to his name.He will have to title it in his name and pay the applicable taxes an fees and wait for the title to come back from the state in his name.Then and only then only then can the title be reassigned to you.
Title is non negotiable until than.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 11-09-2015, 12:42 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1974 Argosy 26
Thanks for the response!

That makes sense, and this might be a dumb question, but would it be cheaper/easier to just suggest he get a Title bond? (I think that's the term). Rather than pay all the taxes/fees associated with getting a title 2+ years after he bought it?

We just did this for a 1974 Argosy we bought that didn't come with a title. It's been a pretty straightforward process so far. We just emailed a local bond exchange office, filled out the form, included the bill of sale, and around $100-$150 (I forget the exact amount), and they'll send us the title in the mail shortly...

Granted that seems silly to do when there is a legitimate title, but I'm not sure what the costs would be to the seller to title it so late, and I want to suggest whatever is the easiest/cheapest to increase the odds that he'll comply
Old 11-09-2015, 03:15 PM   #4
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
This can turn out to be a big legal mess!
He was not a legal owner, therefore, it is an illegal sale! If he gave you a bill of sale, it is fraudulent!

I'd make certain he comes to take the trailer back with cash in hand!
If he is an out of state seller, he needs to present it for vin inspection in his state as he applies for title... First.

I had this same situation when I bought my classic. The seller never transferred to his name, bought it from another state... I then bought it from our of state.... Ultimately I discovered the actual first owner had died and had debt!
I demanded a full refund with expenses. I got a wire transfer of $20000, just to avoid me calling the sheriff. I unfortunately didn't inspect the title prior to a wire transfer. I assumed it was his wife's name!
It took 6 months of lawyering up, but I got a hell of a deal!
I will never trust old people again!
Swindler!!!
Old 11-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I would get it done 'ASAP'... your check is getting colder.. apparently it is too late to cancel the funds transfer I suspect..

Chances are, he is an 'ok' person and will help with the paperwork.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
The range of possible outcomes is vast.

Hope your investment was not more than you can afford to give away as a gift.

Good luck . . . I
Old 11-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Call your local tag office and ask!
Old 11-09-2015, 04:18 PM   #8
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I had exactly the same issue with my Argosy motorhome (seller had not registered it so the title was from the PO in PA).

I went to the RMV and they suggested I got a letter from the PO (whose name the title was in). I did just that, but when I went back to the RMV with the letter they passed me to the supervisor who said I didn't need to bother; apparently (and maybe MA is a special case) vehicles bought from Florida can be titled if the person trying to register signs and dates the original title as the 'seller'......at least that's all I had to do. They didn't even care I had the sellers bill of sale from the PO, or that the PO had confirmed the sale.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
The people making comments who are not from NC are not giving you 100% factual advice.
You going to be the person most inconvenienced.
You and the seller, together, will need to go to a NCDMV license plate agency to explain the situation. Since he failed to register before, he will be required to register the vehicle in his name, and also pay the past due taxes and penalties. This will be required before the title can be transferred into your name. You may have to wait a few weeks for the documents to go though the system before you are able to register and get a license plate for the trailer.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Alan you saw that the seller is located in Jacksonville Florida, right?
Old 11-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Seems you need some legal advice. An Internet forum is not the place for that. Find a real lawyer. Every state has different DMV laws. Good luck.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
I had the same thing with my Bambi. Bought in Pa from someone with an old NJ title.
I just never mentioned it when I transferred and no one cared.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:17 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1974 Argosy 26
Thanks all! Some good input thus far.
For the record, no I am not asking for legal advice, and yes I am planning on going by the local DMV, but with the average wait times there and the number of small children I'll be towing along, hearing from people beforehand who have personally dealt with this is always helpful

Due to our amicable relationship with the seller (and I know a good deal of the history for this particular trailer going pretty far back), plus the fact we have already tackled titling a titleless trailer, I'm not overly worried about it and am not opposed to doing some extra legwork if needed.

I'm not naive or overly trusting in the slightest, but we have a long history in real estate distressed sales, and while I realize that's in no way related, we get our best deals on purchases that most normal buyers aren't comfortable with, and we've developed a decent intuition of when to pounce on something and when to run from it ;-) And no, we never purchase anything we can't afford to lose.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
I live in NC and as I understand it you can bring the BOS to DMV and they will do a fifty state search to assure the trailer is not stolen. They will then issue a title.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote