Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration

Old 11-10-2015, 02:51 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
SLC , Utah
I had this happen with my prior airstream purchase. The DMV could have cared less. I'm a bit surprised at the reaction. The camper is not stolen.

peetoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Just a tidbit from an NC resident. I have learned the hard way that the NC DMV is a real stickler for following its rules precisely and the folks in the DMV local office give no latitude. In one case, to get a title transfer, I had to go to the Courts to get a document to prove the PO was deceased.

lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:45 PM   #17
1989 32' Excella
Ft. Myers , Florida
There has been a lot of interest shown by well meaning people. However your situation isn't really too complicated as long as the seller is willing to do what he should have done when he bought the trailer. He will have to go to his licensing office and Have the title transferred into his name. He will have to pay whatever costs to do that. When he gets his new title all he has to do is sign it over to you and you can then have it licensed wherever you choose.
patmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:09 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
St Paul , MN
The trickier part is to make sure that nothing happens to the title you have in hand until the seller can transfer it into his name and sign it over to you, otherwise, then you have to track down the 'original' owner on the title (if you can). I believe your seller not only needs to pay transfer fees but also sales tax (that he should have paid initially to Florida). I would start with calling the DMV in Florida to find out what should have happened and get an idea of what the fees to transfer will be - if they can do a quick title or if they mail the title to your seller (and how long it takes - in MN it takes 6 - 8 weeks unless you pay an extra amount to get a 'fast' title). I've worked with Florida before and they were pretty helpful. You might get lucky. Try asking if you can fax your rep a copy of the title you have and they can advise you from there. I don't know what you paid for it but if Florida will take the title with two transfers on it then it might be easier to pay Florida their 6%(?) sales tax to get the title in your name then when you register it in your state you can show that you paid FL and work out difference with them but check your DMV how it works when you paid sales tax in another state.
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:17 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
St Paul , MN
Meant to include in previous post if you are interested
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
How about having the seller contact the previous owner and having him apply for a lost title. Then he can sign it over directly to you.Good luck.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:08 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
I live in North Carolina as well. I had this exact problem with a car I bought from up north several years ago. Like you, I did not realize what was going on until it was too late. The guy I bought it from in New York refused to put it in his name and pay the taxes so I had to get a "bonded" title as you suggested in your first post. My dad is going through this right now with a used boat he bought. My experience is the people that sell things like this are very helpful until you as them to title it in their name and then sign the new title over to you. Once you ask them to do that and pay the taxes they stop answering your phone calls and act like they do not know you. I bet you will have to get a bonded title. Let Florida deal with the previous owner if they want to. Your other option is to find the person in North Carolina that he bought it from (the name of the title) and see if they will sign it over to you. Good luck.
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:24 PM   #22
2006 34' Classic
Fort Worth , Texas
I am from FL and I have titled an out of state Bill of Sale only purchase (no tittle). Also, FL DMV has a vested interest in helping you because they want the revenue the most recent PO did not pay them when he did not transfer his NC title. I believe you will be surprised how easy this might go down with the National Data base now available, and I might add a non disputable source of who owns the vehicle. There really isn't much dispute as far as DMV's are concerned. Your PO never legally owned the trailer as far as the date base shows. Good Luck.
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:14 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
2011 23' International
clovis , California
My experience with DMV, suggests that if you show up 3 times and ask 3 different people you will likely get 3 different answers.
Go in , show them what you have, and you may just luck out.
Good luck
jgerardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:09 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member
1967 26' Overlander
1974 Argosy 26
Charlotte , North Carolina
Wow, great info all.Thank you! I'm going to try first with the NC DMV after the weekend... We'll see what they say...
bjmckernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:04 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
egg harbor city , South Jersey
Every state is different. I did this a number of times in NJ. I had a valid NJ title, not officially transferred to the middle purchaser. Went to NJ MV, paid the past due fees, got a title in the name of the middle guy. Transferred that to my name. Costly but the final deals were worth it.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote