Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
1971 31' Sovereign
Orlando , Florida
Easiest Way To Fix Jumped, or No Title

Hi Folks:

I took about a month off my Overlander Resto to try and deal with the registration issues here in FL.

I hope what I learned helps others!

I bought a very rough 27' this past December with a jumped title. I went straight to DMV, who told me "no problem". Very long story short - it's a huge problem. I had planned on a this worst case scenario and would simply use the OL as an awesome backyard Air BNB / Office / In Law shack.

But I wasn't quite ready to give up! Glad I didn't!

Here's how I registered my trailer with no title, and no registration:

Vermont.

- I am looking at my tag as I type.
- Okay if you don't live in Vermont
- Okay if you don't have a Vermont license.

They will issue you a tag and mail it to you.

You don't need to pay big money to agencies. I did it myself. I printed out the form, and using the required NADA "high" value paid about $180, and 2.5 weeks later opened my mail box and saw the yellow envelope with my tag.

SO, I can now register in FL is I want, because I have a registration, but I kinda like Vermont anyway, so I'll just keep it registered there.

If you want specific instructions, I searched while on Youtube and a guy put a video up about the exact process. He's your hero, not me.

It really makes sense too. How many old motorcycles, cars, and trailers like the one I have long ago lost their paper work? Too many to count!

Kudos to Vermont!

B
GuitarmanFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
You can do something similar through Maine as well.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:14 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Moab , Utah
Apologies, but I don’t quite understand your process. What form did you print, what video on YouTube, etc? The tag is a registration tag?
Satchien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:56 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
I also had to register in Vermont as my restoration was done on an AS that had sat in a field for 20 years. No problems either. Filled out the paperwork and along came my plates. Saved a big lot of headache and money.
Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 09:21 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
dousman , Wisconsin
Vermont loophole closed July 2023

The Vermont Vehicle/ RV registration loophole is no longer available
as of July 2023.

Don't know if a skipped title registration can be done in Maine or Virginia.

It is going to make it tough on some folks with old barn finds.
campngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 09:40 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
This is true but I say do not be deterred... Vermont is gone unless you can provide some kind of residency proof. Years back we used to "wash" classic car titles in Alabama but that required thesevices of an attorney there, several were in business to do it. That said, many (but apparently not all) states provide a path forward though often obscur and littered with potholes. I would think there would be a reasonable amount of info on web sites, as there is in Colorado. I've done 3 "tragedy" titles on Airstreams and all eventually worked out with often substantial savings on the front end due to the possible problems. Hoops may include appraisals, bonds, physical and VIN inspections, weights, coroners, power of attorneys and good old fashioned persistence.
Good luck, Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote