Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2003, 07:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Question Common rural zoning?

Hypothetically, let's say you had a rural piece of land (say 10 acres). And let's say this piece of land had electricity running to it, a well, and a septic field.

Is it possible to guess how often local zoning laws or other restrictions would disallow semi-permanent or seasonal trailer residency?

Is it more acceptable in some parts of the country?

How about in Canada?

Are there reference materials that cover this?

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2003, 10:56 PM   #2
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
2 cents worth

My limited knowledge is it varies with the county you reside in.Rural Los Angeles county zoning allows you to have a trailer during the construction process of building a dwelling for up to a year.Many folks reside in trailers in mountain regions for long periods but I do not know the legality of same.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 04:55 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

No zoning here where I am. Only thing that comes to mind is septic system --- county may want to inspect it.

I have our 40' motorhome parked next to the house --- the Airstream next to my shop building ---- big Orange Monster parked "where-ever" ----- works for me.

70 acres of forest.

don
Old 08-22-2003, 05:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Zoning policies vary wildly from county to county. I suggest you contact the county and/or city that the 10 acres resides in and check the local requirements.

The restrictions will fall into one of the below areas:
1) Zoning Ordinances
2) City Ordinances
3) County Ordinances
4) Private deed restrictions (restrictive covenants)

Each of them are unique. 1, 2, & 3 can change AFTER you have acquired the property. You will know about any deed restrictions BEFORE you purchase the property. Changing deed restrictions is difficult but most rural land will not have deed restrictions since they are mostly used in developed neighborhoods to prevent people from parking unsightly RV's and boats.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 05:18 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
In Ohio it depends on the township's zoning. Some townships in Ohio have no zoning. There are basic guidelines that the state has in place that must be adhered to.

Our township, and some of the surrounding ones have some weird zoning laws. For example, if you own a parcel of land, you cannot construct outbuildings or accessory buildings, such as garages or barns, unless there is a house on the property. I asked the township trustees why they had this law. They said they were afraid someone would put up a building and use it for storage. I said, "So,what if a person has a house, then puts up a building and uses it for storage?" He said that would be OK.

I own a 1.25 acre lot across the street from my house. I plan on putting an RV pad and septic system in. Our current plan is to sell the house upon retirement, and spend the winters in FL, then come "home" to Ohio for the summers. The taxes on this parcel are only $400 a year. But, they keep going up.

My advice is to check LOCAL zoning laws before you purchase a piece of property.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 06:46 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Check the local zoning laws, boy does it ever vary. We have 40 acres in semi-rural NC we can do about what ever we want!(short of a hog farming operation) Also have 10 acres in VA near the Blue Ridge Parkway that we are very limited as to what can be put on it, or done with it.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 07:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
It Should be Covered by Zoning Ordinances

Darkstar,

The first thing that came to my mind when buying my Airstream was would my community allow me to park it on my property? Zoning ordinances and city rules and regulations generally govern it. In the metro Minneapolis/St. Paul area there there are communities that forbid parking RVs on personal property. My community posts their zoning ordinances and rules and regulations on the Internet so it was easy for me to check. All was OK but I learned I was illegally shooting squirrels with my air rifle in the tail to keep them off our bird feeders.

My next lust is to buy 10 plus acres on the Gunflint Trail in Northern Minnesota so I can park my Airstream, sit in a vintage webbed lawn chair with a can of Leinenkugels and shoot those squirrels with my air rifle.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 07:43 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Hmmm...

It would seem I have some co-conspirators...