Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2011, 11:05 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
What happened the "Serve" part of "To Serve and Protect"? When I think of how our tax money is spent. errrrrr!
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Wooo! Hooo!

I HAVE TEMPORARY TAGS!!!!
lucymcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
As a long time hot rodder, I understand the perils of registration better than most. For any number of reasons, "bought" titles like those from Broadway Title in Alabama no longer fly in Colorado. I have had verified VIN inspections from sheriff deputies, new car dealers and salvage yard owners over the years. The car in the photo is registered as a 2000 Homebuilt. Note that I have the same number on a personalized plate as an original 1927 plate that's been painted to match the car. A CHP officer said that he could care less about the 1927 plate with current stickers, however it would be a valid excuse to pull me over. I tried registering this with a New York title that I bought on line and was told that it's a capitol offense to misrepresent a motor vehicle title. Went the bonded route without any problems.

If it were my trailer, I would purchase insurance and have proof of insurance in the TV glove compartment, tow it to the inspection station and fight the ticket if one was actually written.

The photo is old! BTW, the blue dot on the tail light used to be illegal in CO. Now OK after car clubs lobbied the DMV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-002F.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	121698  
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
Note that I have the same number on a personalized plate as an original 1927 plate that's been painted to match the car. A CHP officer said that he could care less about the 1927 plate with current stickers, however it would be a valid excuse to pull me over.
I had a 1973 VW Bug in Texas that had 1973 plates on it (legally) and got so tired of dealing with tickets on it that I finally put new plates on it.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucymcdog View Post
Congratulations Lindy! Soon your Lil' trailer will be running with the Big Dogs.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
awesome lindy! you're almost there now
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
WooHoo!!!!

After all those hoops...now you can sleep at night!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
WooHoo!!!!

After all those hoops...now you can sleep at night!

Shari
Hmmm... how did you know I've been losing sleep over this mess?

Been there? Done that?
Old 02-07-2011, 10:19 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Good

Now you can get back to more enjoyable stuff like finishing the dinette. Did you have any luck with the door handle?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #70
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Now you can get back to more enjoyable stuff like finishing the dinette. Did you have any luck with the door handle?
I'm actually working on the curtains now while the polyurethane dries on the dinette and while we're waiting for the table hardware to be delivered so all work didn't stop because of that %$#^% license stuff was going on.

I did screw up on the dinette but think I have figured out a way to make it work. In the interest of "aesthetics" I made the end piece of the dinette nice and curved and had it sticking out about 2" from the front face of the bench, not thinking that the table had to go there to make into a bed. I could either take off that piece and re-cut it or make a notch for the table to go into when it is down into a bed. The easy route is to make a notch so that's what we'll do - unless you can come up with a better solution? We've done nothing yet...

How did you know I needed a door handle? I have a bid in for a reproduction one on e-bay so if I get it (it looks like I'm the only bidder) then I'll at least have a one-piece handle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	galley curtains.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	121834  
Old 02-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #71
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Lindy, how did you pull it off?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Door Handle

I think I read about the door handle on the dinette thread. I understand that the aftermarket handles are susceptible to the same problems as the original.
As good as you are at woodworking. When you get the new handle, make a wooden copy of it with the same dimensions. Then just put it some where for safe keeping. If the new handle breaks, take your wooden pattern to a machine shop and see if they will make you one from a solid block of aluminum. I could be polished and would look great. The older they get the harder they will be to find.
You might even be able to do it yourself if the need arises. I know! I get carried away sometimes.
Curtains look good.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
The saga continues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Lindy, how did you pull it off?

Gene
I told the young man in the courthouse my dilemma and asked if I could have temporary tags just long enough to get a VIN inspection and, after much ado, I got them!

I took the trailer this morning and met the state trooper at the top of Poncha Pass (I live in Saguache county and he works in Chaffee county and the line is at the top of the pass). He did the VIN inspection and called in the VIN number to Oregon and found that the last registration - in 1994 - was not in the name of the person who sold me the trailer and gave me the bill of sale. He said there is a "history" in Oregon of the trailer but said he couldn't tell me what the history was. I asked if there was any history of it being stolen and he said if there was, he would be taking the trailer off my truck right now.

Anyway, the officer was VERY nice and even called the woman I bought the trailer from who explained that she had taken it in as a trade on another trailer (with only a bill of sale) and that it had been sitting in a field for 17 years. She never got the trailer registered in her name because she sold it right away (to me, the sucker! ). The officer did give me the certified VIN inspection and wrote up the whole thing and said that I should go ahead and send it in to the state and it was up to the state to decide whether or not to title it to me. I sent it all in today and should know something in about a week to 10 days.

If nothing else, I've learned to NOT buy anything with a bill of sale. Even if it costs more it is worth it to have a real title.

To be continued...
Old 02-10-2011, 06:32 AM   #74
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
if nothing else your experience is acting as a great teacher to the rest of us, as well. keeping my fingers crossed for you. i hope they can get it all squared away.
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:46 AM   #75
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
I told the young man in the courthouse my dilemma and asked if I could have temporary tags just long enough to get a VIN inspection and, after much ado, I got them!
Glad you found someone helpful.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:11 AM   #76
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Quote:
As good as you are at woodworking. when you get the new handle, make a wooden copy of it with the same dimensions. Then just put it some where for safe keeping. If the new handle breaks, take your wooden pattern to a machine shop and see if they will make you one from a solid block of aluminum. It could be polished and would look great.
You might even be able to do it yourself if the need arises. I know! I get carried away sometimes.
Surely you jest!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
and....... Don't call me Shirley
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Lindy; I'm serious, not surely. LOL I saw a photo of one and it doesn't look all that complexed.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:50 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Hmmm... how did you know I've been losing sleep over this mess?

Been there? Done that?
Not with a title, but with other Airstream related issues...it's an affliction called aluminitus!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:46 AM   #80
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Quote:
Lindy; I'm serious, not surely. LOL I saw a photo of one and it doesn't look all that complexed.
Anytime you'd like to try your hand at it, let me know and I'll send you a handle to work with! If you can pull it off you can sell them because almost EVERY L-77 handle is broken. At least with mine, I have both parts...