Old 02-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #99
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Hi Lindy:
As far as the new axle goes, remember the post I wrote on how to check out the bushings and adjusting the brakes?
I think the biggest problem you would have would be getting brake parts. The bearings and seals should be available at most auto parts stores.
As small as your trailer is; even if the brakes failed, I don't think you would have a major problem with handling.
Any good trailer place should be able to tell you if you need new bushings etc and be able to replace the bushings. If the bushings and springs are good, I'd go with it. If down the road you need brake parts and can't get them you could upgrade.
The "new ends" refered to in the info you posted are new backplate assemblies; which will include all new brake parts. They just bolt onto the end of the axle. But they must match your brake drums. The guy in Ponch Springs should be able to determine if parts are available.
Glad to hear you got the Title thing resolved.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #100
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
The guy in Ponch Springs should be able to determine if parts are available.
Glad to hear you got the Title thing resolved.[/QUOTE]

i agree with all except this last part. if you're talking about the camper place in poncha. you may want to consider someplace else. unless you know somebody over there that's doing you right. i've just never had any sort of luck with them on anything other than a plug adapter...but hell you can get those ANYWHERE!

Old 02-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #101
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojer View Post
The guy in Ponch Springs should be able to determine if parts are available.
Glad to hear you got the Title thing resolved.
i agree with all except this last part. if you're talking about the camper place in poncha. you may want to consider someplace else. unless you know somebody over there that's doing you right. [/QUOTE]

I was talking about the RV place in Poncha - I think it is called Holiday RV. Have you had a bad experience with them? I was going to have them check out my propane and appliances and install a propane light as well as check out the axle and springs. Know of any place else in Salida that is reputable? Needless to say, I want somebody to do the job right.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #102
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
it's just that every time i've ever gone in there they have been absolutely no help whatsoever to me. maybe you might have better luck i don't know. you might give c&j automotive a call and ask them about the axle (539-4727) they're auto mechanics but they're good, and an axle is an axle. they've built two sets of leaf springs in the past for me. as far as the propane stuff i'm not sure. but you could call johnny berndt & sons heating...(539-4525) i have no idea whether or not he would do that kind of thing but he strikes me as the the type who might. kind of a jack of all trades type of guy. he's bent alot of metal and made ducts for me in the past and a friend of mine just recently told me to go talk to him for a thermocoupler for the oven in my trailer. i had no idea, but apparently he's got alot of that type of thing lying around as well....with propane i guess i would just be inclined to do that myself...use my nose and a squirt bottle with soapy water to check for leaks. it's worked out really well for me up to this point!
Old 02-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
What kind of axle does a 1966 Tradewind have?
Old 02-27-2011, 06:26 AM   #104
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclarkego View Post
What kind of axle does a 1966 Tradewind have?
Rubber torsion axles.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #105
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Larkspur , Colorado
It looks like the poster has figured out a few things along the way. Getting a title issues can be a pain, and my wife and I have been documenting everything exact thing that we have had to do along the way to getting ours in Colorado.

Figuring out how to get a temp tag, and doing things not mentioned by the DMV up front...we're documenting everything. We've been doing this at our blog at Issue title for airstream trailer

Everything is going rather smoothly. If you follow all their directions and stay persistent, things WILL move along. Trying to jump through hoops to get around the process will only make things harder to deal with, as mentioned in many other posts about this.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:28 AM   #106

Loveland , Colorado
Similar issues with getting a title

I know this thread is very old but everyone had such great ideas I thought maybe someone could give me some advice.
Several years ago I paid my ex for a travel trailer. He had a bunch of his stuff in it and it took him several years to finally turn over possession.
I went to get a title, telling them it was an abandoned vehicle since the actual title was in the name of a now deceased relative and I actually did not have a title. I did have a bill of sale from my ex but he never had it changed to his name.
I was shocked when the clerk returned from a powwow with a supervisor saying because I was not related I could not get a title and I had to have a tow company come get it and they file for a title and I have to pay for them to store it while the search precedes. One of the steps is to put an ad in the paper stating they had the abandoned property and if nobody claimed it in 30 days they were going to sell it..
After that time they could sell it but not to the person who called in the tow or anyone with interest in the towing company.
Excuse my language but..WHAT THE HELL?? This is the most bizarre procedure I have ever heard of. I have to buy my trailer from the towing company at whatever price they decide PLUS pay for 30 plus days of storage?!?
Please someone tell me this is wrong. I am worried sick about this.
Oh, sorry..this was Loveland Colorado in Larimer County.
Thank you so much for any info anyone can share with me.