Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
OK! I'll send you a private message and give you my address. Send me the broken handle and I'll see what I can do with it.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
OK! I'll send you a private message and give you my address. Send me the broken handle and I'll see what I can do with it.
Seriously? I haven't put the new lock mechanism in the handle yet so I'll see if I can get the handle shipped off to you soon. Right now I'm in Wyoming for a grandbaby's birthday party.
lucymcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #83
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
The handle I was bidding on went for $179.00 on e-bay. Needless to say, it was much more than I was willing to pay.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:14 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Where in Wyoming? I'm only 8 miles from Torrington.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #85
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Quote:
Where in Wyoming? I'm only 8 miles from Torrington.
Casper - where the wind never stops blowing! Heading home on Tuesday morning, weather permitting...
Old 02-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
When you say the lock mechanism; do you mean the cylinder? If so, would you send the old cylinder with the handle?
If you have the time, drop by, we are 70 miles east of Wheatland, WY on Hwy 26. I know it's out of your way. And the 450 mile drive home will be a trip in itself.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:31 AM   #87
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Quote:
When you say the lock mechanism; do you mean the cylinder? If so, would you send the old cylinder with the handle?
If you have the time, drop by, we are 70 miles east of Wheatland, WY on Hwy 26. I know it's out of your way. And the 450 mile drive home will be a trip in itself.
Yes, the cylinder. It is still in the handle with the key broken off. I have the new cylinder ready to put in but will need a locksmith (which, of course, Saguache doesn't have).

I thought of you when I passed the Wheatland exit but no way was I going to add another 140 miles on to my very long trip. Would have loved seeing your trailer though...
Old 02-17-2011, 08:20 AM   #88
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Lock

I understand about the 140 miles, the drive home is long enough.
If your cylinder is installed in a similar manner to the one I just replaced in the Argosy, it won't be difficult. The one I installed came with a warning not to remove the key until it is installed. Is yours the same?
Do you have a duplicate key of the one that is broken off? If so send it along, I may be able to get the broken key out of the old cylinder. I've had some success with that.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #89
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Quote:
If your cylinder is installed in a similar manner to the one I just replaced in the Argosy, it won't be difficult. The one I installed came with a warning not to remove the key until it is installed. Is yours the same? Yes
Do you have a duplicate key of the one that is broken off? No If so send it along, I may be able to get the broken key out of the old cylinder. I've had some success with that.
I bought a replacement cylinder from VTS and they are the ones who said I would need a locksmith if the key was broken off in the lock. The new cylinder comes with two new keys.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:28 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Key

Hi Lindy:
Don't send the new cylinder with the handle. Let me know when you are ready to send it. The weather here will be turning cold soon, good time to work in the shop. Did you read the PM I sent?
Old 02-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #91
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Patience and perseverance

Temporary tag: $6.22
VIN inspections: $30.00
Record search: $2.20
Title and legal registration: PRICELESS!

I've got my tag and the title will be here in 2 weeks!

YEA!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 002.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	123037  
Old 02-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Way cool!!!!!
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #93
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
sweet!!! i was just getting on here to ask whether or not you had gotten it yet. so are you ready to take her out yet? we're planning on going to the spring break at the lake rally in april (provided i get my new axle installed by then) you should caravan along with us.
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #94
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojer View Post
sweet!!! i was just getting on here to ask whether or not you had gotten it yet. so are you ready to take her out yet? we're planning on going to the spring break at the lake rally in april (provided i get my new axle installed by then) you should caravan along with us.
Spring break at the lake rally? Is that an AS rally? What lake?

And where are you getting your new axle installed? I need to do likewise. Did you shop around and get the best price?
Old 02-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #95
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
Yes it's an AS rally here is the link...http://www.airforums.com/forums/f289...tml#post938749

Its at Lake Pleasant in AZ
NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:49 PM   #96
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
yes it's an as rally
i'm getting an axis axle through colin hyde i found him here on the forums ...or maybe he found me, i don't really remember. it will be shipped here and i will install it.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:03 AM   #97
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojer View Post
yes it's an as rally
i'm getting an axis axle through colin hyde i found him here on the forums ...or maybe he found me, i don't really remember. it will be shipped here and i will install it.
I got this from a responder on the Vintage Airstream forum. Now I don't know whether I need a new axle or not. Guess I should start a thread on the axle forum.

Every new buyer in the Airstream world thinks they need a new axle. If you have unluckily bought a newer one with a rubber band axle- or Torsion Flex, you may need to, but I think if you have a 1960, that you still have a solid axle and a set of leaf springs.

Take the trailer to any good and experienced trailer shop, and tell them that you want new loaded hubs from the backing plate out, that match the capacity you have. The old solid axles are the best, and ride great. If you need new shackles and leaf springs, and new bushings and bolts and u-bolts, it still costs less than a new one by far. Nothing is usually wrong with the steel solid axle- its just steel.

Just my opinion, new ends are enough on a solid axle trailer. Unless your solid axle is bent from offroading or falling from a cliff or rusted through. Doubtful though...
Old 02-26-2011, 07:12 AM   #98
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
yeah if you've got a solid axle on that thing you might be fine. i think that responder is right on. mine has the torsion axle. and it has flattened out.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #99
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Hi Lindy:
As far as the new axle goes, remember the post I wrote on how to check out the bushings and adjusting the brakes?
I think the biggest problem you would have would be getting brake parts. The bearings and seals should be available at most auto parts stores.
As small as your trailer is; even if the brakes failed, I don't think you would have a major problem with handling.
Any good trailer place should be able to tell you if you need new bushings etc and be able to replace the bushings. If the bushings and springs are good, I'd go with it. If down the road you need brake parts and can't get them you could upgrade.
The "new ends" refered to in the info you posted are new backplate assemblies; which will include all new brake parts. They just bolt onto the end of the axle. But they must match your brake drums. The guy in Ponch Springs should be able to determine if parts are available.
Glad to hear you got the Title thing resolved.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #100
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
The guy in Ponch Springs should be able to determine if parts are available.
Glad to hear you got the Title thing resolved.[/QUOTE]

i agree with all except this last part. if you're talking about the camper place in poncha. you may want to consider someplace else. unless you know somebody over there that's doing you right. i've just never had any sort of luck with them on anything other than a plug adapter...but hell you can get those ANYWHERE!