Old 02-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
An expired plate is the same as no plate. The trooper sounds like a straight arrow and may ticket you for an expired plate, no registration, no title and possibly a dirty license plate.

I believe you can tow a car without a plate, but not a trailer. I can see the logic in that, but it's kind of weird too.

I checked the statutes, but mine are 2009, so things may have changed (there may be rules about this too and I didn't check them; usually you can find Colorado rules on the internet). Any peace officer can be an inspector if he or she has taken the certification course. So, maybe there are other sheriff's deputies or municipal cops who have taken the course. For example, a game warden could do it if he or she had taken the course. I've never see a local cop in Saguache, Villa Grove, Center or Moffat. But you can check all the towns and see what you can find out. I think Monte Vista does have a local police force. If I remember correctly, all cops did back in '70's was make a tracing of the VIN and little else and it was easy to get a title, even from a non-title state. Since no one can find a title, the bond makes sense in case the state has to come after you.

The statutes about inspections are 42-5-201 to 207; titles are covered in 42-6-101 to 147. I didn't check those because it's getting to be time to eat (gotta go) and your problems seem to be about finding an inspector.

Gene

Old 02-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
ALL of Minnesota is nice! We live in the Twin Cities area, but if I could, I'd live in Ely, up north. We only had to mail four pics of our AS to the DMV after we turned in our paperwork. We could have sent them anyone's trailer pics and they never would have known since they didn't require a pic of the VIN number (we even asked them if they wanted one). Ours didn't have a title when we bought her, because they don't need one in Alabama. Every state is different.
I agree with going to the top of the food chain to get this resolved. It's ridiculous. If the officer in Salida didn't specify "current tags" maybe you could sweet talk your way through using 17 year old ones....He DID only say "tags", right? "But, occifer, you didn't specify "valid tags"! You could try crying - Chris has a sister that it works for every time she gets pulled over. Would never work for me....

Good luck!
Kay

Old 02-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucymcdog View Post
It helps to be creative!

Do you know if the trailer that he got weighed was the same kind of trailer that he was getting the title on? I'm not sure I have to do that - I have the original brochure that says how much it weighs. But knowing Colorado, I probably will have to get a CERTIFIED weight!
It was not the same type of trailer...it was smaller and lots of weight was thrown in there (barbell weights, etc.) to make it more similar to the actual dry weight of the AS. Ridiculous!! All went smoothly once the notary snt in all the paperwork.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
[QUOTE=CrawfordGene;948461]An expired plate is the same as no plate. The trooper sounds like a straight arrow and may ticket you for an expired plate, no registration, no title and possibly a dirty license plate.

so even if the plate is from another state and the p.o. was the one who let it expire, lindy has to pay for that?....really!?!..i mean, you would think that they would be able to trace the tag to insure that it did indeed belong to the person who's name appears on the bill of sale. and if that person was able to register it at one time, then he obviously at one time had a title and there would be record of that! it just seems to me that this would all be pretty easy for someone who is "trained" to do vin inspections....i dunno it just doesn't make sense to me

clunk clunk....that's me stepping off my soapbox
Old 02-07-2011, 12:05 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
What happened the "Serve" part of "To Serve and Protect"? When I think of how our tax money is spent. errrrrr!
Old 02-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
Wooo! Hooo!

I HAVE TEMPORARY TAGS!!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
As a long time hot rodder, I understand the perils of registration better than most. For any number of reasons, "bought" titles like those from Broadway Title in Alabama no longer fly in Colorado. I have had verified VIN inspections from sheriff deputies, new car dealers and salvage yard owners over the years. The car in the photo is registered as a 2000 Homebuilt. Note that I have the same number on a personalized plate as an original 1927 plate that's been painted to match the car. A CHP officer said that he could care less about the 1927 plate with current stickers, however it would be a valid excuse to pull me over. I tried registering this with a New York title that I bought on line and was told that it's a capitol offense to misrepresent a motor vehicle title. Went the bonded route without any problems.

If it were my trailer, I would purchase insurance and have proof of insurance in the TV glove compartment, tow it to the inspection station and fight the ticket if one was actually written.

The photo is old! BTW, the blue dot on the tail light used to be illegal in CO. Now OK after car clubs lobbied the DMV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-002F.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	121698  
Old 02-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
Note that I have the same number on a personalized plate as an original 1927 plate that's been painted to match the car. A CHP officer said that he could care less about the 1927 plate with current stickers, however it would be a valid excuse to pull me over.
I had a 1973 VW Bug in Texas that had 1973 plates on it (legally) and got so tired of dealing with tickets on it that I finally put new plates on it.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Congratulations Lindy! Soon your Lil' trailer will be running with the Big Dogs.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
awesome lindy! you're almost there now
Old 02-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
WooHoo!!!!

After all those hoops...now you can sleep at night!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
WooHoo!!!!

After all those hoops...now you can sleep at night!

Shari
Hmmm... how did you know I've been losing sleep over this mess?

Been there? Done that?
Old 02-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Good

Now you can get back to more enjoyable stuff like finishing the dinette. Did you have any luck with the door handle?
Old 02-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Now you can get back to more enjoyable stuff like finishing the dinette. Did you have any luck with the door handle?
I'm actually working on the curtains now while the polyurethane dries on the dinette and while we're waiting for the table hardware to be delivered so all work didn't stop because of that %$#^% license stuff was going on.

I did screw up on the dinette but think I have figured out a way to make it work. In the interest of "aesthetics" I made the end piece of the dinette nice and curved and had it sticking out about 2" from the front face of the bench, not thinking that the table had to go there to make into a bed. I could either take off that piece and re-cut it or make a notch for the table to go into when it is down into a bed. The easy route is to make a notch so that's what we'll do - unless you can come up with a better solution? We've done nothing yet...

How did you know I needed a door handle? I have a bid in for a reproduction one on e-bay so if I get it (it looks like I'm the only bidder) then I'll at least have a one-piece handle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	galley curtains.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	121834