Old 02-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucymcdog View Post
I guess they could make the process harder but I'm not sure how.
Well, they could require you to come to Denver only on Feb. 29 and the governor must do the inspection.

But, since the state troopers aren't much help and the sheriff seems to be just as bad, contacting DMV in Denver may be necessary. There are people there who know what they are doing though it make take time to find them. County Clerk staff aren't always knowledgeable on titling an out of state vehicle.

Another "but" is DMV may be no help (though I'd check—maybe they will allow the "wrong" form and direct the local County Clerk to accept it), next go to the governor. Phone numbers and e-mail can be found on the internet, or contact a legislator. I think Gail Schwartz is your senator (and mine) and she has helped our water company. Her contact info is on the internet too.

Gene

Old 02-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
What's the penalty for not having it all done within 45 days? I know that's paying a penalty or fine is not the ideal situation, but might be worth the hair you're losing right now! Or you could move your "official residence" to another state, and license it there, then "move" back! Stupid ideas, but desperate times breed desperate measures. Minnesota was easy (hint, hint).

Kay
I've been thinking Minnesota might be a nice place to live...

I'm going to the courthouse in the morning and will get down on my knees begging them to give me a temporary license so I can get the dang thang over to Salida.

Stay tuned...

Now, what part of Minnesota might I like????

Old 02-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojer View Post
lindy since you're coming over the hill to get work done on her...can you have it inspected here in salida?....i don't know if they'll allow it but you might check it out. when i brought my new baby home from texas i had to go to the courthouse to register it only for them to tell me i had to have a vin inspection so i had to go over to the city bldg. to give them 20 bucks then go home and call the cops then one came over and did it..pain in the butt but it was all said and done in a couple of hours. if you need a place to park her over here to get it done just let me know i've got plenty of space
Actually, I CAN have it inspected in Salida BUT the officer told me (and I quote) "If you tow it over here and it doesn't have a tag, I can't inspect it".

Uh.... the purpose of the inspection is to get a TAG!
Old 02-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Well, they could require you to come to Denver only on Feb. 29 and the governor must do the inspection.

But, since the state troopers aren't much help and the sheriff seems to be just as bad, contacting DMV in Denver may be necessary. There are people there who know what they are doing though it make take time to find them. County Clerk staff aren't always knowledgeable on titling an out of state vehicle.

Another "but" is DMV may be no help (though I'd check—maybe they will allow the "wrong" form and direct the local County Clerk to accept it), next go to the governor. Phone numbers and e-mail can be found on the internet, or contact a legislator. I think Gail Schwartz is your senator (and mine) and she has helped our water company. Her contact info is on the internet too.

Gene
I've written the state DMV and hope to hear back in a day or two. My next thought was to get in touch with Gail..

Although it might be a photo op to have my picture taken with the governor while he performs the CERTIFIED inspection (which he probably couldn't do since he isn't a certified inspector!)
Old 02-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Thumbs up

My Dad had a friend years ago who had a title in hand for an out-of-State trailer. The original owner was dead, had never signed it over to his next of kin, and therefore the new State of title would not consider the original title valid.

No names will be mentioned and all associates are long gone, but this is what happened: Dad's acquaintance got a title and bill of sale from a friend in a State that did not require stringent VIN inspection or even the need to produce the actual trailer for inspection. He then got a different trailer weighed for dry weight verification and sent that paperwork in with the "new" title and bill of sale.

While none of these documents weas really legitimate, the eventual title he received was.

Gotta love loopholes. How was that process better than accepting and transferring the deceased man's title?
Old 02-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Lucy', Schwartz Denver phone number is (303) 866-4871.

When I went to register my father car in Colorado after he died I had an order from the Florida probate court and all the Florida documents and the Jefferson County Clerk staff couldn't handle it (for non-Coloradoans, here County Clerk's handle vehicle registrations for DMV). I found the out-of-state expert at DMV and she helped me get it done. That was 15 years ago and I don't remember who I talked to. But there is someone at DMV who may know a workaround. Or, the head of the state troopers may see the Catch 22 situation and solve it.

If someone at a large organization (a gov't or corporation—they are the same except sometimes the corporations are worse) can't get something done, I go to the top and then it will get done once I find someone who can act.

Gene
Old 02-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucymcdog View Post
Actually, I CAN have it inspected in Salida BUT the officer told me (and I quote) "If you tow it over here and it doesn't have a tag, I can't inspect it".

Uh.... the purpose of the inspection is to get a TAG!
..what if you put the old oregon tag on it for the drive over?..i mean that's the tag you bought it with right? what this guy is going to do is look at the vin number and then he gets on his little radio and runs a check on the tag and if everything matches up you're golden!...you do have the old oregon tag right?
Old 02-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
Dad's acquaintance got a title and bill of sale from a friend in a State that did not require stringent VIN inspection or even the need to produce the actual trailer for inspection. He then got a different trailer weighed for dry weight verification and sent that paperwork in with the "new" title and bill of sale.

While none of these documents weas really legitimate, the eventual title he received was.

Gotta love loopholes. How was that process better than accepting and transferring the deceased man's title?
It helps to be creative!

Do you know if the trailer that he got weighed was the same kind of trailer that he was getting the title on? I'm not sure I have to do that - I have the original brochure that says how much it weighs. But knowing Colorado, I probably will have to get a CERTIFIED weight!
Old 02-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
oh hell i went back and read more on this thread and i see that the deputy ran a check and came up empty...so by coming over to salida with the oregon tag on it you may come up with the same results..but then again maybe not. it might be worth a shot.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
Quote:
..what if you put the old oregon tag on it for the drive over?..i mean that's the tag you bought it with right? what this guy is going to do is look at the vin number and then he gets on his little radio and runs a check on the tag and if everything matches up you're golden!...you do have the old oregon tag right?
Maybe it would work. I can e-mail the trooper and see if he would accept 17 year old tags.

I do have the old tag.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
well yeah i mean you have to pay them to do a vin inspect...make THEM work to figure it out...i don't think i would e-mail him though it just gives him the chance to shoot you down again. i would just do it and if he asks you about it, you tell him you didn't think you had the old tag but then you dug it up out in the shed...that is unless he already knows you have it
Old 02-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
I agree with Gene. When I don't get my way, I politely but firmly, head for the top. One time it took me two hours on the phone but I got a big insurance company to change their mind and pay for a patient's brain surgery they had denied payment on. Never give up, call up every Mr. Big there is....
Old 02-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
btw lindy i think once you get this thing registered, you should sell it to me for 2 dollars and then i'll turn right around and sell it back to you for a dollar...just for grins and giggles
Old 02-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
Quote:
btw lindy i think once you get this thing registered, you should sell it to me for 2 dollars and then i'll turn right around and sell it back to you for a dollar...just for grins and giggles
Hey! I'd make BIG BUCKS that way (or at least ONE buck!)