Old 02-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
and the beat goes on....

The trooper from Salida called tonight and said he would do the inspection BUT I couldn't tow the trailer over there because it has no tag. I said "but I can't get a tag until I get a VIN inspection and can't get a VIN inspection because I have no tag". What a catch 22!

In Salida, the trooper will come to the house to inspect. No so from the Alamosa office. I have to take it there which I can't do because it has no tag.

I suppose I could load it on my flat bed trailer and trailer the trailer over the mountain but that seems kind of silly.

I'm going to try to get a temporary tag from the courthouse (which I doubt they will give me) or if that fails, I'll go to Salida to the RV place and see if they will give me a temporary tag.

Hmmm... I can't get a tag because I don't have a title and can't get a title because I don't have a certified VIN inspection. I can't get a VIN inspection because I don't have a tag.... something seems wrong with this picture.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Lindy:
I'm not sure; but if you have a Bill of Sale and the Title. I would think you could tow it without a plate. Does your Bill Of Sale have a date on it less than 10 days old?
My son towed a trailer I sold to him home to Colorado with just the title and a bill of sale with no problem. I towed my Argosy clear across the state without a plate. And registered it 4 month's after I got it home, had to pay the back 4 month's fees for the plate when I got it though. How else are you supposed to do it?
Maybe 47weewind could chime in here.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Lindy:
I'm not sure; but if you have a Bill of Sale and the Title. I would think you could tow it without a plate. Does your Bill Of Sale have a date on it less than 10 days old?
My son towed a trailer I sold to him home to Colorado with just the title and a bill of sale with no problem. I towed my Argosy clear across the state without a plate. And registered it 4 month's after I got it home, had to pay the back 4 month's fees for the plate when I got it though. How else are you supposed to do it?
Maybe 47weewind could chime in here.
I have a notarized bill of sale dated 1/18/10 - but no title. The title was lost years ago. There was a 1994 Oregon tag on it that I towed it home from Oregon with and nobody stopped me. But the officer was adamant - if I towed it over there without a tag he wouldn't give me a VIN certificate.

I was thinking maybe I could tow it over to a friend's house in Salida and then have the trooper come there but now he already knows that I have a 1960 Airstream in Saguache without a tag so I don't think I would be able to pull that one off. It's crazy. Maybe I can write the State Patrol in Denver and ask them what to do...???
Old 02-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Do you still have the Oregon Plate? Maybe you could do a title search and get a duplicate title. Or have we been here before.
I can help you fix most things; but I'm not much help here. Sorry!
Old 02-05-2011, 11:43 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
Quote:
Do you still have the Oregon Plate? Maybe you could do a title search and get a duplicate title. Or have we been here before.
I can help you fix most things; but I'm not much help here. Sorry!
I still have the 1994 Oregon tag. My daughter lives in Washington and works in Oregon so I've asked her to see if maybe she can get me an Oregon title. The deputy who did the (non certified) VIN inspection called in both the VIN number and the tag number and got nothing in either Oregon or Colorado.

It shouldn't be this hard. AAAAAgggggghhhhhh!!!!!!

We're going to Mississippi and Texas in May - wonder if they will issue a title with a bill of sale????
Old 02-06-2011, 12:19 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Maybe you can fill out this form and get some answers.

https://www.oregondmv.com/SSL/comment/index.htm
Old 02-06-2011, 08:48 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
Thanks!

Quote:
Maybe you can fill out this form and get some answers.

https://www.oregondmv.com/SSL/comment/index.htm
Done! We shall see what we shall see....
Old 02-06-2011, 09:11 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Title

Lindy:
Do you know if the guy you bought it from owned the trailer in 1994. If so maybe he could get a duplicate title? Just another thought.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Lindy:
Do you know if the guy you bought it from owned the trailer in 1994. If so maybe he could get a duplicate title? Just another thought.
It doesn't matter whether you have the original title from another state as Colorado law requires a VIN inspection for all vehicles/trailers registered in another state and brought into Colorado
Old 02-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
It doesn't matter whether you have the original title from another state as Colorado law requires a VIN inspection for all vehicles/trailers registered in another state and brought into Colorado
And therein lies the problem!

I wonder if I had the title from Oregon if a "regular" VIN inspection would work. I have that. It's getting the CERTIFIED one that is the problem since I can't tow it to the inspector (without a tag) and the inspector won't come to me.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
What's the penalty for not having it all done within 45 days? I know that's paying a penalty or fine is not the ideal situation, but might be worth the hair you're losing right now! Or you could move your "official residence" to another state, and license it there, then "move" back! Stupid ideas, but desperate times breed desperate measures. Minnesota was easy (hint, hint).

Kay
Old 02-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #40
Rivet Master

I forget the time line, but a "bill of sale" is good for road use. We recently sold our duramax 4X4 to a guy in Kremmling. His Credit Union told him, the bill of sale would get him on the road home until he did the license.
The VIN veerification is the biggest pain. We had one done last fall on the Square Stream we brought home from Wisconsin and the officer blurred print for make ended up on the title as a "Fir-stream". I asked if our DMV could change it, NO. Needed to be re-certified. they were blaming it on the Wisconsin title, but when I showed them a photocopy from Wisc, they shut up. Meanwhile we tore the trailer apart for re-model which made tough to tow since everything was loose.. Then we had to go thru the process all over. Boy, we pay these people to be so dumb. We did get it done over> Geesh!!
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
lindy since you're coming over the hill to get work done on her...can you have it inspected here in salida?....i don't know if they'll allow it but you might check it out. when i brought my new baby home from texas i had to go to the courthouse to register it only for them to tell me i had to have a vin inspection so i had to go over to the city bldg. to give them 20 bucks then go home and call the cops then one came over and did it..pain in the butt but it was all said and done in a couple of hours. if you need a place to park her over here to get it done just let me know i've got plenty of space
Old 02-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
also if you need to tow it somewhere and you need someone to follow close to provide a little distraction....i would be more than happy