Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Send a message via Skype™ to WILDRTEXAS
CLUELESS in Texas

I bought an AS from Ga and pulled it back to Texas.
Now, I need to know how to title and register it in TX.
Do I need a Texas inspection? Can I get personalized trailer tags in Texas?
I still on Airstream training wheels and could use some friendly Texas help. Cliff notes requested as attention span will not allow me to read the fine print on TXDOT. Thank you all.
WILDRTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've bought two Airstreams from out of state. Each of them required a VIN inspection, and the latest one required a certified weight from a scale because the Mass. title did not state the weight of the trailer. Others have reported none of this was required in their county, so I would advise you to take what paperwork you have to your county office, and see what they want. Wish I could be more exact, but this is what I know.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
some background info:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f342...ons-53624.html
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
We too bought our Airstream in GA and brought it back to TX.
Its been 4 years, but here's what I remember.

First, plan on multiple trips to the TxDot because they'll always think of something you didn't bring:

1. Bill of sale - if they don't believe the amount, a new law in TX says they can use book value.

2. You will need proof of safety inspection - your local inspector can do it, and its pretty cheap ($14 I think).

3. Proof of the weight of the trailer. We went to a local Flyin' J. Do a search in these forums for how to get your trailer weighed. The weight-scale people are very helpful - tell them you've never done it, and try not to show up during a busy period.

4. Can't remember for sure, but I suspect they'll want proof of insurance (they always do).

5. Money! They will charge you sales tax! Cash is always best.

I think you can call TxDot and ask if there's anything else, but it always seems that you'll get different answers from different people.

Welcome aboard.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:14 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
McKinney , Texas
Be sure to ask for a "Green Sheet" (out of state VIN verification) when you get it inspected. It will cost you an additional $1. Also, you will need to show proof on insurance for the tow vehicle at inspection. You do not have to get it inspected if the "actual gross weight" (empty weight + estimated cargo) will be less than 4500 lbs. Note that this is less than the GVWR. If your GA title has weight on it, you may not need to get it weigh.
Xstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Unfortunately Georgia titles do not have the weight on them-- I'm going through all of this as well, and looking for a scale somewhere in the Austin area.

Also, be sure to transfer title ASAP, because anything beyond a certain number of days (30 days from date of sale maybe?) and they will charge a penalty. It's not a steep penalty, I think mine is going to be something like $20-$30, but still, I'd rather spend that on gas for towing.

So, if anyone knows of a scale in the Austin area, I'm all ears!

Thanks,
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Helotes , Texas
I took my louisiana title to a company that specializes in auto/truk/trailer registrations and title transfers (san antonio auto titles). Told them how much i paid for the trailer, wrote them a check got my tag and was out in less then 15 minutes
lsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Helotes , Texas
Ps, my louisiana title did not have the weight either....good luck
lsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Forney , Texas
WILDRTEXAS - The easiest way to approach this is to go the the county tax assessor's office there in Arlington with whatever you have in hand and ask them what else they require to register and title the trailer. Assuming you are in the Arlington area, the closest tax office is --

700 E Abram St
Arlington, Texas 76010
Phone: 817-548-3935

Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m

At a minimum, they will probably ask for the green sheet from the inspection station, a bill of sale, and the GA title as well as a substantial (at least it usually seems to me) pile of cash They may or may not ask for a certified weight. That seems to vary based on the office you go to and what is on out of state title they are processing. It could also be whether or not they are in the mood to make you jump through a few more hoops. If you have to get it weighed, you have a few options that aren't too far from the Arlington area. Any truck stop will likely have scales. The closest ones to you are probably in South East Dallas. Just take I-20 East and you will run into them just past the I-45 interchange. Just watch for the signs.

Most TX county tax offices will take cash or checks. Some won't take credit cards though, so be prepared for that. The trailer can be inspected at any place that does regular vehicle safety inspections. The green sheet is just an extra piece of paper they give you for the VIN check.

Marcus -- I think the only "close" scales to Austin are either down in New Braunfels or in Seguine. Just depends on which way you want to go. You can check the yellow pages for feed stores and scrap metal places. They often will have scales. Some will let you use them, some won't

In another thread here a few days ago, which I can't find now, another member from TX said he had called the good folks at the DPS office and asked them if they could help him weigh. A little while later, a trooper showed up with portable scales and helped him get axle weights of his rig. I've never tried it, but as momma said "you won't know until you ask".

Good luck!
wayner61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:57 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
McKinney , Texas
Got mine weighed at a grain company as suggested by the tax office. They gave me a list of five to pick from. Two are truck stops. The scale operator told me not to unhitch when I pulled up on the scale. He said it would "save" me money. He charged me $5 for the weight ticket. Your registration fee is based on weight. Also, I found out that not all inspection places do trailer inspections.
Xstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:47 AM   #11

Arlington , Texas
Checklist from Texas Tax Assessor Collector

I made a trip to the Tax Assessor Collector's office here in Tarrant County.

They provided me with the attached checklist and forms to register a trailer without problems.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TexasTitleRequirements.pdf (278.7 KB, 723 views)
jgmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
This is wierd, I registered a 2003 Safari 25 SS a couple of years ago in San Antonio after purchasing it in Florida with no hassel what so ever. No inspection or weight certification. I'm getting ready to title a 2007 Safari 25 FB I recently purchased in Chicago here in San Antonio. I guess that I will keep my fingers crossed on this one.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Texas Registration Needs-Houston

Went in to the Court House in W. Houston to get title transferred. Got a nice form that says "Title Application Rejection". I need to get a Texas Safety Certificate (V130A). In other words an inspection of the trailer with this specific form. Also a Weight "Certificate" so I have to go get her weighed somewhere. Even though the existing NCarolina title has the weight in it, I have to get it done here in the state as they don't take it for granted when it's on an out of state title.

Anybody in Houston know where to get this done?
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Texas Registration Needs-Houston

Oh and also the bottom of this little form tells me that there is a 5% PENALTY
(yes it is all caps on the form) if the transfer isn't completed within 20 working days of the date of sale. But wait there's more, on the 31st date and beyond there is an additional 5% PENALTY due!
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1987 33' Argosy
Campbellsville , Kentucky
Wow - just realized how lucky we were today. Our 87 Argosy 33 already had a TX plate and an inspection sticker. SOOOOO glad I didn't have to worry with getting it weighed and all that other DPS stuff to register in TX.

Counting my blessings even as I post.
CCGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
You can get personalized tags here. You can even order them online once your AS is registered.

MyPlates.com
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
--Mark Twain
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwhisman View Post
You can get personalized tags here. You can even order them online once your AS is registered.

MyPlates.com
I did think about the personlized plates that used to cost about $40 additional Now anywhere from $300-$500 ayear!!
Anyone buying a Georgia or any other State that does not have titles for trailers over 10 yrs. old.Here's a tip.Have the seller contact the DOV and fax you a letter stating they do not require titles.
This along with a weight cert. an inspection,a tracing of the vin ,and pictures of the Airstream got me legal Pronto.It also kept me from having to drive the trailer down to DMV.
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:50 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Utee,

There is a certified Cat scale in Jarrel. That is the closet one that I know of.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
Utee,

There is a certified Cat scale in Jarrel. That is the closet one that I know of.
Check one of the farm supply stores in the area.I went to one in Texarkana on my way into the state that had a certified scale.
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote