Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
The checks for a trailer are minimal... basically it has to have a label stating the recommended tire inflation pressures...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
The trailer is an 07. Yes the process is probably a whole lot easier than it is made out to be. Never the less I want to ensure that the seller gets paid and that I don't mess anything up in the process of importing it. Since I am driving all the way out to Cali to pick it I would like to make it a vacation at the same time, not just a trip to pick up a trailer. I want to make sure I have the correct paper work for the border and that I handle the money correctly. I want to pick the trailer up the day I get to Cali and have the money to the seller that day. I will most likely setup a transfer from my Canadian account to my sisters US account and have her transfer the money to the seller. I just don't want glitches otherwise all my trip planning will be messed up.

Friday you mentioned that I can set up an RIV case and call them with my plans and that way they will accept the recall clearance letter if it is older than 30 days? Did I understand that correct?

Thanks for your assistance.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I hauled my first Airstream from Vegas to Telegraph Creek... and needed several months before I was able to tow it back south to Canadian Tire to get inspected. I called RIV and explained the situation and they put a note on the file so I wouldn't get into trouble. They are quite helpful and you can give them a call, explain what you are doing, and they'll tell you exactly what to do.

For my second Airstream it was so easy I used uShip to get a guy to bring it from San Francisco to Kamloops...

The important piece of US documentation is the Certificate of Title. That is the proof of who owns it. If the current owner says it is 'clear title', it means they are the only ones on it (no banks or other lenders) and can sign it over. A bill of sale will provide the documentation for how much the transfer was.

Canadian Customs WILL look up the value of the trailer when you bring it back for GST purposes. If you have PST in your province, that gets paid when you register it. They have internet, and will look at Craigslist, eBay, and AirstreamClassifieds... so if you pay substantially less then a comparable trailer, be prepared to explain why.

Wire transfers are easy... but make sure you set it up with your bank before you leave. Some will accept instructions over the phone... others require you there in person to sign. Transferring to your sister might work... but she'll need to be at her bank to do the transfer.

If you are paranoid, every transfer of over $10,000 gets reported. You may want to give your sister a copy of the bill of sale in case she is every questioned about it down the road.

Don't worry too much - it's pretty easy, and you can call RIV anytime and they were very helpful with my first import.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #24
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I did a bit of research for a friend who was considering purchasing a trailer that had been brought in from the USA many years previously and left in a trailer camp. The owner is now widowed and she has no interest in coming up from PA to holiday in a place that is strongly associated in her mind with her recently deceased husband. Quite understandable.

So, she needs to sell the trailer.

It was never imported legally, and I called around a few days ago to find out what needs doing to transfer title and found out that Ladybug (and a couple of others) had it right. If it is over 15 years of age, it's dead easy if the TT is >15 yrs old and has not been modified.

A bill of sale, signed by the same person whose name is on the title (or ownership, as it is called here), and the title is all that is needed. Oh, and C$195 for the RIV, plus C$100 if it has an AC unit, and then 13% HST (5% going to the Feds, and 8% to the Province), and it's all yours.

Since the one my friend is considering buying is already here (and not in fit shape to go anywhere) my friend needs to go to the nearest Canada Customs Office with the title and Bill of Sale to pay the RIV and the 5%, upon which they will be given a "Form 1". The Form 1 is taken to any Ontario Motor Vehicle Office where the other 8% is paid, and a plate is issued.

A lot simpler than I had ever imagined!
Old 07-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2008 28' International CCD
1970 23' Safari
Ham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot
GT1963

You said
Biggest issue we have found is to be sure that you have a valid title of the trailer itself from the person you are purchasing from. Depending on the Province you are from and individual licensing offices that is where you can run into the problems in not being able to plate your trailer without a valid title to transfer ownership of.

How do you know you have a valid title? I am planning on buying a trailer in Cali and bring it back to Ontario. I would like to make the return trip a vacation as well. Taking a month for the return trip. Do I need to pay taxes in Cali? I am getting all sorts of conflicting advice from the DMV. I would like the purchase the trailer soon and pick it up at a later date. I would have the current owner take it to a storage facility until I can get down there.

Any advice would be great.
Hi there...
In 2006 we purchased an AS in San Diego. We did as you mentioned and spent the better part of a month vacationing and bringing the Airstream back to Canada. Once purchased, inform the border where you intend to cross back into Canada and declare. You pay tax, no duty buy must purchase a an RIV package. Then take to a Canadian Tire auto shop for inspection and they send off the validation info to MOT and give you a new sticker to place on the roadside near original VIN plate. Then go get your license and registration...and Bob's yer uncle!
AirHead2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #26
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Here's what I heard from the Gummint:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHead2305 View Post
must purchase a an RIV package. Then take to a Canadian Tire auto shop for inspection and they send off the validation info to MOT and give you a new sticker to place on the roadside near original VIN plate. Then go get your license and registration...and Bob's yer uncle!
No inspection required for TTs older than fifteen years and/or not modified in any substantial way, according to the Can Gov't Help line (Canada Customs).

You still pay the RIV fee of C$195, plus an extra C$100 if you have AC.

Using the sale value stated in the bill of sale, GST of 5% is paid at the border, and the Provincial GST of 8% (Ontario) is paid when you go to a Provincial Motor Vehicle Permit office.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
No inspection required for TTs older than fifteen years and/or not modified in any substantial way, according to the Can Gov't Help line (Canada Customs).

You still pay the RIV fee of C$195, plus an extra C$100 if you have AC.

Using the sale value stated in the bill of sale, GST of 5% is paid at the border, and the Provincial GST of 8% (Ontario) is paid when you go to a Provincial Motor Vehicle Permit office.

I have never paid the RIV fees for any of the vintage trailers - as they are exempt - so you don't need to register through the RIV program.

I did pay it when I brought the 05 in though. Unless the rules have changed since 2008??
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
We did not pay an RIV fee when we brought our '60 Tradewind across last August (2011). Just the duty, and HST was collected when we plated it.

It was dead simple, as it has been for several others we hang with who have imported vintage units (15 years or older as far as Canada Customs are concerned).

The most that happened with ours was that several officers departed the office for a few minutes and we noticed they were taking a tour of the trailer .

We know of one couple who brought a very beat up Airfloat in to Canada and when they presented the bill of sale to the Customs agent they were told that they were not idiots, they know what vintage trailers sell for, and there is no way they could have bought it for what they were saying. Then the officer went out to have a look at a trailer held together with duct tape, rope, straps and anything else they could come up with to keep loose parts from falling off. On his return he famously said "you paid THAT MUCH for that thing?" You must be crazy.

The critical thing is to have your paperwork neat and in order, and what has always helped us is having a copy of the advertisement printed and included, in our case the listing off of Craigslist. One other comment, for those purchasing on either side of the border - if you are taking 10 grand or more across either way you must declare that. This doesn't just mean the money to purchase but the total amount of money you are carrying so your travel/spending money as well. And travelers cheques are considered cash. If you don't and you get caught it can get real expensive and oppressive I'm told. From that point on, any time you cross, you are likely to be checked again. So make sure if you are doing this that you have your copy of the advertisement with you and any correspondence with the seller as well to verify that you are really going to purchase said trailer. Otherwise, make arrangements with your bank to have funds available at the place of purchase, in one manner or another.

It is so simple I'm always amazed at how worked up people get over it. There is a lot of information on line that affirms how easy this is.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:17 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Well the trailer is now registered in Ontario. Thanks to all who responded to my questions. As others have mentioned it could not have been easier.
Just drive to the border get your form 1 and pay your GST.

Phoned Airstream and they emailed me the Recall Clearance Letter

Register on the RIV with the information from the form 1 and print out the required inspection list.

Take the trailer to CT and get the inspection. No one cared about the Recall letter. CT faxed the completed inspection to RIV and week later I received the new sticker for the side of the trailer.

Took the paper work to Service Ontario and they gave me my new ownership. They did require proof of the dry weight of the unit so the new sticker that RIV sent me came in handy. Paid my PST and that was it.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote