Old 06-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
A valid title is an official registration that has the correct serial number of the trailer on it with the RIGHT description of the trailer. It has to be in the NAME of the PERSON you are BUYING it from. So that your Bill of Sale is signed by the same person.

I.e. - we bought the ladybug - the son of the father who owned it was selling it to us. The lady he bought it off - never signed the back transfer to his father, and neither did the father sign it to his name - thus the registration had not been transferred from the old woman to his father, or from the father to his son.

For all we knew it could have been stolen..(little secret we trust people too much) we sorted that issue out but it was not legal and if we were caught we could have been in serious trouble. and 800.00 dollar airstream is NOT worth not have the correct documents.

Get them to fax you or scan and e-mail you a copy of the title. Make sure they are on the title - their name and their current address. That is what makes a title official and legal. In the SELLERS NAME!

All the states are different as to the document they use for the title - but they are pretty things - more like a fancy certificate - not like our small document that fits in a wallet.

As I said above - Registration/Bill of Sale - in Sellers name signed over to you and your name. You may have to have it notarized depends on state and counties.
If it is older than 15 years - when you sign the import paper at the board MAKE SURE YOU SIGN OFF THE EXEMPT SECTION AND YOU HAVE TO TELL THEM THAT TOO. Or you will be charged different taxes on AC, and inspections and stuff. It is a yellow form and you get to keep it - don't let the tell you otherwise.

Good luck.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
Ayr , Ontario
Thanks to all who replied to my earlier questions on the title and taking it back. But now that I have purchased it I have a couple of questions regarding the RIV in Canada.

First the letter for recall that needs to be shown at the border? And at the inspection? RIV says I have 30 days, but can I submit before leaving Canada? The web site is rather confusing. They let you pay the $195 fee ahead of time, but not sure if you can submit the paper work then. The reason I am asking is that I plan on taking a nice trip back and that it may exceed my 30 days.

Second, is payment. The seller wishes to have a wire transfer. Never used one in my life. Here in Canada we generally use certified cheques. Not sure what the equivalent is in the US. Can I transfer the money to my US account and then withdraw it in a certified cheque or is a wire transfer better. Not sure how to set this all up.

Any help on these 2 items would be appreciated.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
How old is this trailer? It is a trailer right? if it is older than 15 years then you DO NOT have to go through the Vehicle import program at all!!!

What you need is the Yellow VIP Exemption form to be filled out at the border. Make sure you have your bill of sale with the sellers signature the same on the title.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Dang I just read this full thread - why is it so difficult - when it is really simple.

Trailers - newer than 15 years - to come into Canada have to have an inspection thus they go through the Vehicle import Program. Same with ALL motorized vehicles. But because it is a trailer you do not have to have the 48 hour pre-inspection - it is done in your home town/province.

Trailers older than 15 years - do NOT go through the Vehicle Import Progarm. However they must at the border have a Bill of Sale and the Title transferred - or signed off by the seller - BOTH documents are needed at the CANADIAN border to import the trailer. At the border you tick off EXMEMPT under the Vehicle Import Program.

YOU DO NOT NEED PLATES - as now the THREE forms make up your legal transport to your HOME town - where you will go to the MTO which is now called something else - something services and Register it.

You can even go as far as asking to KEEP the original Title - (cause they are so pretty) and the woman/man at the desk just has to fill out another form saying they have seen the original title make a copy and keep for their files. You will have plates and a new Green - registration.

I have imported 4 vintage trailers and a new one that went through the Vehicle Import Program and it is NEVER as difficult as everyone is saying - it is easy - just know you have and ask for the right forms - every time we have crossed we have had to tell the border staff what to do - cause they are so dang dippy!
Old 06-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
Thanks to all who replied to my earlier questions on the title and taking it back. But now that I have purchased it I have a couple of questions regarding the RIV in Canada.

First the letter for recall that needs to be shown at the border? And at the inspection? RIV says I have 30 days, but can I submit before leaving Canada? The web site is rather confusing. They let you pay the $195 fee ahead of time, but not sure if you can submit the paper work then. The reason I am asking is that I plan on taking a nice trip back and that it may exceed my 30 days.

Second, is payment. The seller wishes to have a wire transfer. Never used one in my life. Here in Canada we generally use certified cheques. Not sure what the equivalent is in the US. Can I transfer the money to my US account and then withdraw it in a certified cheque or is a wire transfer better. Not sure how to set this all up.

Any help on these 2 items would be appreciated.
A wire-transfer is s direct transfer from your bank account to theirs. It is not reversible. It is similar to an Interac transfer that we Canadians can do bank-to-bank, but can be done for larger amounts of money. Most banks will charge a fee for a wire transfer as it is done manually. They will need to provide you their full bank info and the 'Swift Code' which will let you send them money. Sometimes it can be done real time, other banks run the process over night.

As a seller, a wire-transfer is the best, because there is no way to fake the process. A bank-draft still leaves the possibility of a fraud.

If possible, try find a dealer to act as escrow... have the seller take the trailer to the dealer, they can store it for a few days while you send the money, once the seller gets the money the dealer can release the trailer to you. This gives you some protection against sending the money and never seeing the trailer.

Or, you can set up the transfer at your bank but have them wait until you call to complete the transfer. Go look at the trailer, call the bank, and you might have to wait a day for the money to go. You can give them a deposit to hold it.

Once you get your RIV file number, you can fax the recall letter to them with the file number. Until you've opened your case (and paid the $195) you can't send them anything.

If you are going to be doing a long trip, don't open your RIV file, or call them and tell them about your plans. They can add a note to your file giving you more time to have the inspection complete... I've done this...
Old 06-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
When we imported our 2005 trailer to Canada, the only problem we had was that the Canadian border official didn't fill out his paper work clearly enough when recording the VIN.

I had been warned this could be the case and watched for it and it did indeed happen!

When at the border, I noticed that the official's handwriting was "subject to interpretation" and tried to politely raise the issue hoping he would clarify his printing. He told me it was not a problem as written and there was no need for clarification - his tone f voice was such that I dropped it.

Sure enough, after getting home and waiting for the paperwork to be mailed to me so I could go and get the required inspection done by Canadian Tire, instead, I received a rather snotty email from the Canadian authorities teling my that the VIN was not recognized and that unless there was an error and I could resolve this within so many days, I would be obliged to return the trailer to the US!!!

After faxing copies and photos of the VIN I was able to resolve things but needless to say I was less than impressed with our border officials and theor procedures!

Incidentally we didn't have to send any advance notice of export/import intent to any border officials either US or Canadian - just show up at the border with all your required paperwork including a manufacturer's letter showing no outstanding recalls.

I think the advance notice is only needed for motorized vehicles.

Other than the handwriting problem the whole process was very smooth.

CTC's "Inspection" was very superficial. There were things they were supposed to have checked that were written only on stickers inside the trailer, yet they didn't require me to even open the trailer!

They basically seemed to only check the VIN plate on the outside of the trailer and did a 30 second walk around. Pretty easy work for $200 !

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
The checks for a trailer are minimal... basically it has to have a label stating the recommended tire inflation pressures...
Old 06-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
Ayr , Ontario
The trailer is an 07. Yes the process is probably a whole lot easier than it is made out to be. Never the less I want to ensure that the seller gets paid and that I don't mess anything up in the process of importing it. Since I am driving all the way out to Cali to pick it I would like to make it a vacation at the same time, not just a trip to pick up a trailer. I want to make sure I have the correct paper work for the border and that I handle the money correctly. I want to pick the trailer up the day I get to Cali and have the money to the seller that day. I will most likely setup a transfer from my Canadian account to my sisters US account and have her transfer the money to the seller. I just don't want glitches otherwise all my trip planning will be messed up.

Friday you mentioned that I can set up an RIV case and call them with my plans and that way they will accept the recall clearance letter if it is older than 30 days? Did I understand that correct?

Thanks for your assistance.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
I hauled my first Airstream from Vegas to Telegraph Creek... and needed several months before I was able to tow it back south to Canadian Tire to get inspected. I called RIV and explained the situation and they put a note on the file so I wouldn't get into trouble. They are quite helpful and you can give them a call, explain what you are doing, and they'll tell you exactly what to do.

For my second Airstream it was so easy I used uShip to get a guy to bring it from San Francisco to Kamloops...

The important piece of US documentation is the Certificate of Title. That is the proof of who owns it. If the current owner says it is 'clear title', it means they are the only ones on it (no banks or other lenders) and can sign it over. A bill of sale will provide the documentation for how much the transfer was.

Canadian Customs WILL look up the value of the trailer when you bring it back for GST purposes. If you have PST in your province, that gets paid when you register it. They have internet, and will look at Craigslist, eBay, and AirstreamClassifieds... so if you pay substantially less then a comparable trailer, be prepared to explain why.

Wire transfers are easy... but make sure you set it up with your bank before you leave. Some will accept instructions over the phone... others require you there in person to sign. Transferring to your sister might work... but she'll need to be at her bank to do the transfer.

If you are paranoid, every transfer of over $10,000 gets reported. You may want to give your sister a copy of the bill of sale in case she is every questioned about it down the road.

Don't worry too much - it's pretty easy, and you can call RIV anytime and they were very helpful with my first import.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #24
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I did a bit of research for a friend who was considering purchasing a trailer that had been brought in from the USA many years previously and left in a trailer camp. The owner is now widowed and she has no interest in coming up from PA to holiday in a place that is strongly associated in her mind with her recently deceased husband. Quite understandable.

So, she needs to sell the trailer.

It was never imported legally, and I called around a few days ago to find out what needs doing to transfer title and found out that Ladybug (and a couple of others) had it right. If it is over 15 years of age, it's dead easy if the TT is >15 yrs old and has not been modified.

A bill of sale, signed by the same person whose name is on the title (or ownership, as it is called here), and the title is all that is needed. Oh, and C$195 for the RIV, plus C$100 if it has an AC unit, and then 13% HST (5% going to the Feds, and 8% to the Province), and it's all yours.

Since the one my friend is considering buying is already here (and not in fit shape to go anywhere) my friend needs to go to the nearest Canada Customs Office with the title and Bill of Sale to pay the RIV and the 5%, upon which they will be given a "Form 1". The Form 1 is taken to any Ontario Motor Vehicle Office where the other 8% is paid, and a plate is issued.

A lot simpler than I had ever imagined!
Old 07-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2008 28' International CCD
1970 23' Safari
Ham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot
GT1963

You said
Biggest issue we have found is to be sure that you have a valid title of the trailer itself from the person you are purchasing from. Depending on the Province you are from and individual licensing offices that is where you can run into the problems in not being able to plate your trailer without a valid title to transfer ownership of.

How do you know you have a valid title? I am planning on buying a trailer in Cali and bring it back to Ontario. I would like to make the return trip a vacation as well. Taking a month for the return trip. Do I need to pay taxes in Cali? I am getting all sorts of conflicting advice from the DMV. I would like the purchase the trailer soon and pick it up at a later date. I would have the current owner take it to a storage facility until I can get down there.

Any advice would be great.
Hi there...
In 2006 we purchased an AS in San Diego. We did as you mentioned and spent the better part of a month vacationing and bringing the Airstream back to Canada. Once purchased, inform the border where you intend to cross back into Canada and declare. You pay tax, no duty buy must purchase a an RIV package. Then take to a Canadian Tire auto shop for inspection and they send off the validation info to MOT and give you a new sticker to place on the roadside near original VIN plate. Then go get your license and registration...and Bob's yer uncle!
Old 07-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #26
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Here's what I heard from the Gummint:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHead2305 View Post
must purchase a an RIV package. Then take to a Canadian Tire auto shop for inspection and they send off the validation info to MOT and give you a new sticker to place on the roadside near original VIN plate. Then go get your license and registration...and Bob's yer uncle!
No inspection required for TTs older than fifteen years and/or not modified in any substantial way, according to the Can Gov't Help line (Canada Customs).

You still pay the RIV fee of C$195, plus an extra C$100 if you have AC.

Using the sale value stated in the bill of sale, GST of 5% is paid at the border, and the Provincial GST of 8% (Ontario) is paid when you go to a Provincial Motor Vehicle Permit office.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
No inspection required for TTs older than fifteen years and/or not modified in any substantial way, according to the Can Gov't Help line (Canada Customs).

You still pay the RIV fee of C$195, plus an extra C$100 if you have AC.

Using the sale value stated in the bill of sale, GST of 5% is paid at the border, and the Provincial GST of 8% (Ontario) is paid when you go to a Provincial Motor Vehicle Permit office.

I have never paid the RIV fees for any of the vintage trailers - as they are exempt - so you don't need to register through the RIV program.

I did pay it when I brought the 05 in though. Unless the rules have changed since 2008??
Old 07-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
We did not pay an RIV fee when we brought our '60 Tradewind across last August (2011). Just the duty, and HST was collected when we plated it.

It was dead simple, as it has been for several others we hang with who have imported vintage units (15 years or older as far as Canada Customs are concerned).

The most that happened with ours was that several officers departed the office for a few minutes and we noticed they were taking a tour of the trailer .

We know of one couple who brought a very beat up Airfloat in to Canada and when they presented the bill of sale to the Customs agent they were told that they were not idiots, they know what vintage trailers sell for, and there is no way they could have bought it for what they were saying. Then the officer went out to have a look at a trailer held together with duct tape, rope, straps and anything else they could come up with to keep loose parts from falling off. On his return he famously said "you paid THAT MUCH for that thing?" You must be crazy.

The critical thing is to have your paperwork neat and in order, and what has always helped us is having a copy of the advertisement printed and included, in our case the listing off of Craigslist. One other comment, for those purchasing on either side of the border - if you are taking 10 grand or more across either way you must declare that. This doesn't just mean the money to purchase but the total amount of money you are carrying so your travel/spending money as well. And travelers cheques are considered cash. If you don't and you get caught it can get real expensive and oppressive I'm told. From that point on, any time you cross, you are likely to be checked again. So make sure if you are doing this that you have your copy of the advertisement with you and any correspondence with the seller as well to verify that you are really going to purchase said trailer. Otherwise, make arrangements with your bank to have funds available at the place of purchase, in one manner or another.

It is so simple I'm always amazed at how worked up people get over it. There is a lot of information on line that affirms how easy this is.