Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Sonoma Valley , California
Question CA Registration?-'66 Safari just purchased

Hello -
Hope you can help answer my questions. We just purchased a 66 Safari from a nice couple, and I need to have it reregistered in our name. I have the title and it is currently registered in CA.

How much will this cost me to have it registered in our name? It looks like the process is different for trailers, as compared to autos.

Do you know what rate the DMV assesses for sales tax (on behaf of the state board of equalization)? Or reg fees?
And lastly, I hope to accomplish this at AAA...will I be successful?
Hate going to the DMV!
Thanks _ Corinne
corinnedavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
I just did this last month, but with an out of state trailer. Sales tax was 9%. Registration was $281 (This will vary, depending on the value of the trailer.) You might have better luck at AAA. The DMV didn't know how to classifying my AS because they said they don't deal with many trailers(?) - and they don't have a category for travel trailer. Ended up having to go to the CHP to have them inspect it and categorize it. The category for an AS in Calif. is a "coach". You might want to tell them that if they don't know as it may save you a trip to the CHP. The reason it's a coach is that you can live in it (bathroom, kitchen, bed, etc.).
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Sonoma Valley , California
Thanks for your information.
Did your registration of $281 include the 9% sales tax? According to the CA DMV there's a $15 fee to register the trailer, and apparently other misc fees. Hoping I can get away without overspending for the registration. I'll see what AAA thinks about all this tomorrow. Thanks again - Corinne
corinnedavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I registered our '66 six years ago. We brought it down from Oregon. I have forgotten the price details but I had to take the trailer to our local DMV for them to 'verify' it. Like I said this was 6 years ago and 'things' have changed in this state. Just be gratefull that you don't have to smog check it!
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by corinnedavid View Post
Did your registration of $281 include the 9% sales tax?
No. They were separate.
And since it's not an out of state vehicle, you shouldn't have to have the DMV verify the trailer, i.e., you shouldn't have to bring the trailer to the DMV office.
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Both the sales (use) tax (varies by county and city) and the registration are a function of the purchase price, and combined they will be roughly10% of the purchase price. I believe AAA can help you.
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Knights Landing , California
I just did mine. Went to AAA and they did it all for me. I said I paid 4k for the trailer, and they made me pay for 2012 reg cause it was up soon. Cost me 490 dollars for tax and all the fees.
drunkensloth is offline   Reply With Quote