Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2006, 06:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , New York
Buying out of state

How does one buy and legally return to his home state (NY) in one trip?

NY will only offer an 'in-transit' permit for intrastate, OR interstate leaving NY. No wonder everyone is leaving :-)

I've got an e-mail into the MD MVA, but could not find anything on their web site that covered this situation.

Closest thing MD had was a 'temporary registration' that assumes you are registering in MD and need some time for a safety inspection.
dwhilsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 06:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
It's usually the state you start in...

DW;

Welcome, and good luck with the search...

Usually the transit or temp license permit comes from the state where you acquire the trailer, not the state where you are taking it. That would be why NY has permits "FROM" NY, but not into... Calif uses red sticker thing, other states use temp paper plates... It may well be that MD DMV has a program that isn't documented on their website, and a call or visit is required... Generally required only when unit is unregistered or way past current.

If registration is current, story is likely different. In most states, it is perfectly legal to drive off with old plates until time to register in your home state, and no action needed if trailer registration and/or stickers are current.. When we bought our trailer remotely from Texas, all I had was TX registration, and license plate and signed copy of certificate of title and bill of sale, and that was plenty to drive home across 4 states... CA then gives you 30 days to register (and pay all important "Use Tax and Fees") in state...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
DW;

Welcome, and good luck with the search...

Usually the transit or temp license permit comes from the state where you acquire the trailer, not the state where you are taking it. That would be why NY has permits "FROM" NY, but not into... Calif uses red sticker thing, other states use temp paper plates... It may well be that MD DMV has a program that isn't documented on their website, and a call or visit is required... Generally required only when unit is unregistered or way past current.

If registration is current, story is likely different. In most states, it is perfectly legal to drive off with old plates until time to register in your home state, and no action needed if trailer registration and/or stickers are current.. When we bought our trailer remotely from Texas, all I had was TX registration, and license plate and signed copy of certificate of title and bill of sale, and that was plenty to drive home across 4 states... CA then gives you 30 days to register (and pay all important "Use Tax and Fees") in state...

John McG
Same here. Bought new in Georgia and pulled the trailer to New Orleans on a Temp Tag. Registered within 60 days. I had to pay the 2K plus tax plus the transfer and tag cost.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:10 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Bought my trailer in New Mexico and it was registered in Colorado. I just drove it home and got Arizona plates after I got it home. I did have to take it to the AZ DMV so that they could match the VIN with the title. BTW, it is new plate time again, $18 for one year or $28 for two.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Or Try This...

When I recently sold our 2000 Safari to an Airstream Forums member from Berkley, CA; I sent the purchaser a Bill of Sale and NM Title with the transfer of title section on the back completed.

He had the title transferred to CA and arrived with CA registration and tag in hand when he came to Albuquerque to pick up his Airstream.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:33 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Brought one home to NY recently

I brought a trailer home to NY....that I had purchased in MI. Since (as you have found), NY's temp reg isn't useful for this purpose, I went to the MI DMV (or actually their SOS). I showed them my NYS license, and the bill of sale (and I think the old MI reg for the trailer), and they gave me a paper license plate good for a week or two.
-Chuck
funchucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Huhhhhh??????

Never heard of such legal mombo-jombo till now. Guess I have lived in the SOUTH to long (all my life). You just drive to wherever the trailer is and drive it home, that simple. No temp tags, no fees, first tag and registration was $29, next year it will be $5 less, register within 30 days in Mississippi, they don't care where you got it from with a title and Bill-of-Sale. You can over govern but does it do any good?????? BTW, my insurance (State Farm) just told me to connect it to my insured vehicle and it was insured - AUTOMATICALLY.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hmmm we bought from New Orleans - got the title and bill of sale notarized - drove home to CA - Canada that is with a paper IN- Transit sign stuck on the back. Spoke with the State police about traveling via various states - and they said - no problem as long as you have the bill of sale and title - and not all states require their transactions to be notarized.

And although said before - just in case any cannucks are listening - when you get to the border fill out "Form 1" and you are on your way.

Go figure - anything over 15 years old does not have to be certified....
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
Never heard of such legal mombo-jombo till now. Guess I have lived in the SOUTH to long (all my life). You just drive to wherever the trailer is and drive it home, that simple. No temp tags, no fees, first tag and registration was $29, next year it will be $5 less, register within 30 days in Mississippi, they don't care where you got it from with a title and Bill-of-Sale. You can over govern but does it do any good?????? BTW, my insurance (State Farm) just told me to connect it to my insured vehicle and it was insured - AUTOMATICALLY.
I just bought a New Trailer in GA and it came with a temp tag and GA is considered the south as were all the states I pulled it through including Mississippi. You may want to ask your insurance agent what coverage you have when the unit is unhooked at a trailer park or storage lot. Be sure to get his reply on tape or in writing. You want to get a in writing exactly what coverage you have. I know in my case my trailer has more value than the tow vehicle it is attached to I don’t believe my insurance will pay me the total value for the trailer for the premium I pay for my truck.

I have had over a 100K in house hold claims and a claim on a totaled 34’ ocean going sailboat I have learned a few things about insurance companies, agents and adjusters. At this very moment in New Orleans there are thousands of home owners who were told by their agents that they didn’t need flood insurance who now are not covered. The court cases are starting. Don’t take your agents word for anything concerning insurance they are salesmen.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 07-15-2006, 09:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Hmmm we bought from New Orleans - got the title and bill of sale notarized - drove home to CA - Canada that is with a paper IN- Transit sign stuck on the back. Spoke with the State police about traveling via various states - and they said - no problem as long as you have the bill of sale and title - and not all states require their transactions to be notarized.

And although said before - just in case any cannucks are listening - when you get to the border fill out "Form 1" and you are on your way.

Go figure - anything over 15 years old does not have to be certified....
Louisiana requires a notarized bill of sale if you are going to register in the state,a in state sale. When I registered my trailer in Louisiana the required the original bill of sale with original signature but was not notarized came from GA. We had a temp tag from the dealer but had it been a private sale I don’t think it would of mattered.

I purchased my trailer cash and did call my insurance company who said hook it up and tow it. But I can tell you if it had been financed it would not of moved until the lien holder had proof of insurance. Had I had a accident I am sure I would have had liability but I would have had to fight for the value of the trailer.

The only thing a notary dose is verify the identity of the parties involved in the transaction.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 07-16-2006, 05:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
We bought our trailer in Virginia and towed it to Canada without any tags, three state troopers passed us and didn't even give us a look. That is the way I always do it. I think you are allowed so many days anyway and if you have your receipt they know you just bought it. Never had a problem.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:13 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , New York
I'm impressed by the feedback on this board.

Will definitely obtain the VIN and have it formally 'added' to the insurance. Not worried at all about liability with a trailer, but am worried about collison, comprehensive, etc.

If I get no useful answer from MD MVA, I'll ask about driving home with the existing plates or might consider no tags and see what happens when I tell my story. I will have the correct paperwork to show intent to register it in NY.

Thanks all for the input, and yes we are way overregulated in NY. It's illegal to hold a cell phone to my ear while driving, but not a Big-Mac! Topic for a different thread!
Old 07-16-2006, 08:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
I should have added, I am covered by my insurance on anything I drive or tow. I did call my insurance co. and added the trailer before we picked it up.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:40 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Bowmanville , Ontario
Bought mine in Florida to be towed back to Canada. I called the DMV in Florida and asked about a temp plate, maybe that wasn't the correct terminology but I did explain what I wanted to accomplish and they didn't have a suggestion that avoided paying their State sales tax on a trailer that was leaving their state only to return during none hurricane season. No way I'm paying sales tax twice, I had the Florida registration in hand and bill of sale, screwed on my Ontario Canada trailer plate I had from my popup and got her home. In Ontario, a trailer plate is bought one time for that particular trailer and there is not an annual renewal fee, the plate was an Ontario trailer plate and I took my chances. At the Canada/U.S. boarder the Canadian border guard didn't even look inside, when I opened the trailer for him, he said we looked honest and didn't check it, I could have been smuggling weapons of mass destruction. I did store the trailer in Florida for two months prior to bringing her home and I made sure I had insurance coverage on the trailer for theft , etc while it was in storage and off the TV. Good luck.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
People in New Orleans KNEW better.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
I just bought a New Trailer in GA and it came with a temp tag and GA is considered the south as were all the states I pulled it through including Mississippi. You may want to ask your insurance agent what coverage you have when the unit is unhooked at a trailer park or storage lot. Be sure to get his reply on tape or in writing. You want to get a in writing exactly what coverage you have. I know in my case my trailer has more value than the tow vehicle it is attached to I don’t believe my insurance will pay me the total value for the trailer for the premium I pay for my truck.

I have had over a 100K in house hold claims and a claim on a totaled 34’ ocean going sailboat I have learned a few things about insurance companies, agents and adjusters. At this very moment in New Orleans there are thousands of home owners who were told by their agents that they didn’t need flood insurance who now are not covered. The court cases are starting. Don’t take your agents word for anything concerning insurance they are salesmen.
I have nothing to say for dishonest Insurance companies or agents. Mine has been very honest and has recomended may new things for me to look at for coverage post Katrina. My Caravel was a last second purchase during the holidays and I went to pick her up without notifying my agent or insurance company (WRONG MOVE). I made the call from a Walmat parking lot in Indiana wondering what a mess I got myself in for. They verified that ANYTHING I tow with my vehicle was covered, I had to add the camper with a rider(sp?) to my homeowners to insure her when disconnected ($189.00 per year for $20K in coverage), even faxed a copy of the policy to a SF office in the town I got the trailer in to pick up for the ride.

As far as New Orleans, every year the predictions of the "BIG ONE" were all over the news. Unprepared???? They live in a bowl, it's going to fill again someday, that's what bowls do. Some of the same people that did not have flood insurance put axes in their attics as a way out when the floods did happen (?). Don't worry about them too much, the Feds will gladly give them your tax dollars to rebuild, it's an election year and LA is a key state. Pray for the less fortunate on the MS Gulf Coast, we are rebuilding with our own money.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
BTW - EST. Value of Trailer

BTW - I had to find reasonable sales of like trailers for the insurance amout I got for my Caravel. I did it all online with past ebay sales and here with adds for simular size campers and their prices. Once I had three comparisons they wrote up the policy, camping gear was an additional amount, $8 extra per year for up to $2500 in value.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
I have nothing to say for dishonest Insurance companies or agents. Mine has been very honest and has recomended may new things for me to look at for coverage post Katrina. My Caravel was a last second purchase during the holidays and I went to pick her up without notifying my agent or insurance company (WRONG MOVE). I made the call from a Walmat parking lot in Indiana wondering what a mess I got myself in for. They verified that ANYTHING I tow with my vehicle was covered, I had to add the camper with a rider(sp?) to my homeowners to insure her when disconnected ($189.00 per year for $20K in coverage), even faxed a copy of the policy to a SF office in the town I got the trailer in to pick up for the ride.

As far as New Orleans, every year the predictions of the "BIG ONE" were all over the news. Unprepared???? They live in a bowl, it's going to fill again someday, that's what bowls do. Some of the same people that did not have flood insurance put axes in their attics as a way out when the floods did happen (?). Don't worry about them too much, the Feds will gladly give them your tax dollars to rebuild, it's an election year and LA is a key state. Pray for the less fortunate on the MS Gulf Coast, we are rebuilding with our own money.
Your are very uninformed about New Orleans and Mississippi also. I live in New Orleans and I and almost everyone I know were well insured. What I stated was many people in New Orleans and Mississippi were told that they were not required to have flood insurance by their insurance agents. The flooding in New Orleans was caused by the failure of levees designed and maintained by the United States Corp of Engineers. BTW I am one of the persons who has an axe in my attic. Mississippi is getting more of the tax payer money than New Orleans and the same benefits as New Orleans. The first insurance suit went to court last week in Mississippi and concerned flood damage verses wind damage. I can tell you I have driven along the Gulf Coast for years and looked at the foundations of the homes which Camille blew away in 1969 and wonder why people would rebuild in the area and place floating Casinos in the area. I assume that you feel that is a acceptable risk. How you come to the conclusion the Louisiana is a key state shows how politically out of touch you are. Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour is the former head or the Republican National Committee and the Federal response in Mississippi was much better than in Louisiana. Governor Barbour is a very good leader and is doing a great job in your state. Please do not insult my state or my home town as I do not wish to insult yours.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 07-17-2006, 06:45 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , New York
Maryland MVA response

-----Original Message-----
From: mvacs@mdot.state.md.us [mailto:mvacs@mdot.state.md.us]
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 10:46 AM
To:
Subject: Re: MVA0000103276 Temporary registration

Dear MVA Customer,

Thank you for your recent e-mail inquiry. The answer to your question is as
follows.

If an out-of-state resident purchases a vehicle from a MD dealer, the dealer
will issue a temporary tag for the vehicle to be driven to the state it is
going to be titled and registered in. However, if an out-of-state resident
chooses to purchase a vehicle in Maryland from a non-dealer, the purchaser
would need to provide their own means of transporting the vehicle to the
other state as MD MVA does not offer any type of temporary, in-transit or
transporter tag for this purpose. Please contact your state's Department of
Motor Vehicles to inquire if they provide a temporary tag for this purpose.

We hope this information will assist you.
A0005
Maryland MVA Customer Service Center
Every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the information in this
e-mail. Please note this is the most current information we have at this
time.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Purchase From Dealer Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhilsdorf
-----Original Message-----
From: mvacs@mdot.state.md.us [mailto:mvacs@mdot.state.md.us]
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 10:46 AM
To:
Subject: Re: MVA0000103276 Temporary registration

Dear MVA Customer,

Thank you for your recent e-mail inquiry. The answer to your question is as
follows.

If an out-of-state resident purchases a vehicle from a MD dealer, the dealer
will issue a temporary tag for the vehicle to be driven to the state it is
going to be titled and registered in. However, if an out-of-state resident
chooses to purchase a vehicle in Maryland from a non-dealer, the purchaser
would need to provide their own means of transporting the vehicle to the
other state as MD MVA does not offer any type of temporary, in-transit or
transporter tag for this purpose. Please contact your state's Department of
Motor Vehicles to inquire if they provide a temporary tag for this purpose.

We hope this information will assist you.
A0005
Maryland MVA Customer Service Center
Every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the information in this
e-mail. Please note this is the most current information we have at this
time.

Sounds as if MD only wants you to do business with dealers if you are from out of state. I don't understand a legal way of driving or towing your purchase out of the state must exist.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 07-17-2006, 08:26 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , New York
I Love NY :-) Catch-22, runaround

I'm feeling brave, once I add the insurance. Too hard to do it 'legally', and not worth another 60 gallons of fuel after I've looked at it to come back with NY plates.

Question
How do I bring a vehicle I purchased in NYS to another state to register it in the other state? How do I bring a vehicle I purchased in NYS to another part of NYS to register it? Answer At a DMV office, you can apply for an in-transit permit that is valid for 30 days. You can use a NYS in-transit permit to transport the vehicle to another location in NYS or to another state where you will register the vehicle. You cannot use a NYS in-transit permit to transport a vehicle from another state into NYS. Contact the motor vehicle agency in the state where the vehicle is located.