Old 07-15-2006, 07:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rochester , New York
Buying out of state

How does one buy and legally return to his home state (NY) in one trip?

NY will only offer an 'in-transit' permit for intrastate, OR interstate leaving NY. No wonder everyone is leaving :-)

I've got an e-mail into the MD MVA, but could not find anything on their web site that covered this situation.

Closest thing MD had was a 'temporary registration' that assumes you are registering in MD and need some time for a safety inspection.

Old 07-15-2006, 07:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
It's usually the state you start in...

DW;

Welcome, and good luck with the search...

Usually the transit or temp license permit comes from the state where you acquire the trailer, not the state where you are taking it. That would be why NY has permits "FROM" NY, but not into... Calif uses red sticker thing, other states use temp paper plates... It may well be that MD DMV has a program that isn't documented on their website, and a call or visit is required... Generally required only when unit is unregistered or way past current.

If registration is current, story is likely different. In most states, it is perfectly legal to drive off with old plates until time to register in your home state, and no action needed if trailer registration and/or stickers are current.. When we bought our trailer remotely from Texas, all I had was TX registration, and license plate and signed copy of certificate of title and bill of sale, and that was plenty to drive home across 4 states... CA then gives you 30 days to register (and pay all important "Use Tax and Fees") in state...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
DW;

Welcome, and good luck with the search...

Usually the transit or temp license permit comes from the state where you acquire the trailer, not the state where you are taking it. That would be why NY has permits "FROM" NY, but not into... Calif uses red sticker thing, other states use temp paper plates... It may well be that MD DMV has a program that isn't documented on their website, and a call or visit is required... Generally required only when unit is unregistered or way past current.

If registration is current, story is likely different. In most states, it is perfectly legal to drive off with old plates until time to register in your home state, and no action needed if trailer registration and/or stickers are current.. When we bought our trailer remotely from Texas, all I had was TX registration, and license plate and signed copy of certificate of title and bill of sale, and that was plenty to drive home across 4 states... CA then gives you 30 days to register (and pay all important "Use Tax and Fees") in state...

John McG
Same here. Bought new in Georgia and pulled the trailer to New Orleans on a Temp Tag. Registered within 60 days. I had to pay the 2K plus tax plus the transfer and tag cost.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Bought my trailer in New Mexico and it was registered in Colorado. I just drove it home and got Arizona plates after I got it home. I did have to take it to the AZ DMV so that they could match the VIN with the title. BTW, it is new plate time again, $18 for one year or $28 for two.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Or Try This...

When I recently sold our 2000 Safari to an Airstream Forums member from Berkley, CA; I sent the purchaser a Bill of Sale and NM Title with the transfer of title section on the back completed.

He had the title transferred to CA and arrived with CA registration and tag in hand when he came to Albuquerque to pick up his Airstream.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:33 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Brought one home to NY recently

I brought a trailer home to NY....that I had purchased in MI. Since (as you have found), NY's temp reg isn't useful for this purpose, I went to the MI DMV (or actually their SOS). I showed them my NYS license, and the bill of sale (and I think the old MI reg for the trailer), and they gave me a paper license plate good for a week or two.
-Chuck
Old 07-15-2006, 08:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Huhhhhh??????

Never heard of such legal mombo-jombo till now. Guess I have lived in the SOUTH to long (all my life). You just drive to wherever the trailer is and drive it home, that simple. No temp tags, no fees, first tag and registration was $29, next year it will be $5 less, register within 30 days in Mississippi, they don't care where you got it from with a title and Bill-of-Sale. You can over govern but does it do any good?????? BTW, my insurance (State Farm) just told me to connect it to my insured vehicle and it was insured - AUTOMATICALLY.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Hmmm we bought from New Orleans - got the title and bill of sale notarized - drove home to CA - Canada that is with a paper IN- Transit sign stuck on the back. Spoke with the State police about traveling via various states - and they said - no problem as long as you have the bill of sale and title - and not all states require their transactions to be notarized.

And although said before - just in case any cannucks are listening - when you get to the border fill out "Form 1" and you are on your way.

Go figure - anything over 15 years old does not have to be certified....
Old 07-15-2006, 10:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
Never heard of such legal mombo-jombo till now. Guess I have lived in the SOUTH to long (all my life). You just drive to wherever the trailer is and drive it home, that simple. No temp tags, no fees, first tag and registration was $29, next year it will be $5 less, register within 30 days in Mississippi, they don't care where you got it from with a title and Bill-of-Sale. You can over govern but does it do any good?????? BTW, my insurance (State Farm) just told me to connect it to my insured vehicle and it was insured - AUTOMATICALLY.
I just bought a New Trailer in GA and it came with a temp tag and GA is considered the south as were all the states I pulled it through including Mississippi. You may want to ask your insurance agent what coverage you have when the unit is unhooked at a trailer park or storage lot. Be sure to get his reply on tape or in writing. You want to get a in writing exactly what coverage you have. I know in my case my trailer has more value than the tow vehicle it is attached to I don’t believe my insurance will pay me the total value for the trailer for the premium I pay for my truck.

I have had over a 100K in house hold claims and a claim on a totaled 34’ ocean going sailboat I have learned a few things about insurance companies, agents and adjusters. At this very moment in New Orleans there are thousands of home owners who were told by their agents that they didn’t need flood insurance who now are not covered. The court cases are starting. Don’t take your agents word for anything concerning insurance they are salesmen.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 07-15-2006, 10:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Hmmm we bought from New Orleans - got the title and bill of sale notarized - drove home to CA - Canada that is with a paper IN- Transit sign stuck on the back. Spoke with the State police about traveling via various states - and they said - no problem as long as you have the bill of sale and title - and not all states require their transactions to be notarized.

And although said before - just in case any cannucks are listening - when you get to the border fill out "Form 1" and you are on your way.

Go figure - anything over 15 years old does not have to be certified....
Louisiana requires a notarized bill of sale if you are going to register in the state,a in state sale. When I registered my trailer in Louisiana the required the original bill of sale with original signature but was not notarized came from GA. We had a temp tag from the dealer but had it been a private sale I don’t think it would of mattered.

I purchased my trailer cash and did call my insurance company who said hook it up and tow it. But I can tell you if it had been financed it would not of moved until the lien holder had proof of insurance. Had I had a accident I am sure I would have had liability but I would have had to fight for the value of the trailer.

The only thing a notary dose is verify the identity of the parties involved in the transaction.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 07-16-2006, 06:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
We bought our trailer in Virginia and towed it to Canada without any tags, three state troopers passed us and didn't even give us a look. That is the way I always do it. I think you are allowed so many days anyway and if you have your receipt they know you just bought it. Never had a problem.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 07:13 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rochester , New York
I'm impressed by the feedback on this board.

Will definitely obtain the VIN and have it formally 'added' to the insurance. Not worried at all about liability with a trailer, but am worried about collison, comprehensive, etc.

If I get no useful answer from MD MVA, I'll ask about driving home with the existing plates or might consider no tags and see what happens when I tell my story. I will have the correct paperwork to show intent to register it in NY.

Thanks all for the input, and yes we are way overregulated in NY. It's illegal to hold a cell phone to my ear while driving, but not a Big-Mac! Topic for a different thread!
Old 07-16-2006, 09:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
I should have added, I am covered by my insurance on anything I drive or tow. I did call my insurance co. and added the trailer before we picked it up.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:40 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Bowmanville , Ontario
Bought mine in Florida to be towed back to Canada. I called the DMV in Florida and asked about a temp plate, maybe that wasn't the correct terminology but I did explain what I wanted to accomplish and they didn't have a suggestion that avoided paying their State sales tax on a trailer that was leaving their state only to return during none hurricane season. No way I'm paying sales tax twice, I had the Florida registration in hand and bill of sale, screwed on my Ontario Canada trailer plate I had from my popup and got her home. In Ontario, a trailer plate is bought one time for that particular trailer and there is not an annual renewal fee, the plate was an Ontario trailer plate and I took my chances. At the Canada/U.S. boarder the Canadian border guard didn't even look inside, when I opened the trailer for him, he said we looked honest and didn't check it, I could have been smuggling weapons of mass destruction. I did store the trailer in Florida for two months prior to bringing her home and I made sure I had insurance coverage on the trailer for theft , etc while it was in storage and off the TV. Good luck.