Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
1976 Caravanner 25' (Salvage Title)

Everyone's least favorite topic, Salvage Title. While going to checkout an ebay listing we discovered this Caravanner (25' model) at an auction site. It looks like it's in sound condition structure wise. Few minor dents, all original glass windows (I think they're original because everyone of them has bubbled film between panes!) Based on the burned out 120v wall plug(s), I'm thinking it was totaled from all the electronics being burned out. My plan would be to empty it out down to the shell with inside panels removed, and start with a new floor and work my way up. Rewiring as I go and modernize everything.

I'm not looking to flip this thing, but at some point down the road when I'm ready to sell it, I think this Salvage Title is a huge issue.

Another thing that bugs me, the auction disclaimer says they mail you the title within 20 days of the auction. Huh? What I'm I getting, a bill of sale?

So I've tried to get my local DMV office on the phone a couple times now. Giving up after 23 minutes, and again after 45 minutes of hold time.

Looks like it has had current tags on the license plate, March of 2009. Anyone ever take this restoration road before (in California)? Auctions without pink slips, Salvage Titles? This sucks.

Kevin
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If it had tags that new any cop could tell you who owned it and go ask them why it is salvage.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote