Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-22-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
1964 26' Overlander
Spring , Texas
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 22
Images: 12
1964 Overlander International -VIN

Hi, We have just purchased what we think is a 1964 Overlander International Land Yacht. It is a full restoration project and we do not have any information of the history of this trailer. We have the VIN number but can't find any information regarding VIN's for 1964. Is there somewhere you can go to run the VIN? Also, if anyone could tell if there is a place to download a manual. http://www.airforums.com/forum...1&d=1148355540 The is a picture of our diamond in the major rough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Airstream Overlander 012 sm.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	21567  
__________________

calredcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
wkerfoot's Avatar
 
1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by calredcoat
Hi, We have just purchased what we think is a 1964 Overlander International Land Yacht. It is a full restoration project and we do not have any information of the history of this trailer. We have the VIN number but can't find any information regarding VIN's for 1964. Is there somewhere you can go to run the VIN? Also, if anyone could tell if there is a place to download a manual. http://www.airforums.com/forum...1&d=1148355540 The is a picture of our diamond in the major rough.
Calredcoat,

The best source of VIN information that I have found is at www.vintageairstream.com and the photo archive here: http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives/index.html

Bill
__________________

__________________
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:54 PM   #3
My Grandparents Airstream
 
Andrew Selking's Avatar
 
2007 28' Safari SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 174
Images: 18
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Selking
Please post your VIN and the group here at the forums will tell you what you have. Do you have any inside pictures ? This looks like a good find will polish up fine. If you are looking for a WBCCI unit to join send me a PM . We have some members that live in Spring and you might want to hook up with them they are great Airstreamers.
__________________
Andrew Selking
WBCCI #6062
International 3rd Vice President

"Airstream the Best trailer ever built."
Andrew Selking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
GreatPumpkin's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,033
Images: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by calredcoat
Hi, We have just purchased what we think is a 1964 Overlander International Land Yacht. It is a full restoration project and we do not have any information of the history of this trailer. We have the VIN number but can't find any information regarding VIN's for 1964. Is there somewhere you can go to run the VIN? Also, if anyone could tell if there is a place to download a manual. http://www.airforums.com/forum...1&d=1148355540 The is a picture of our diamond in the major rough.
Welcome to the forums - it's good to see another '64 out there. I was beginning to think I had an anomoly as there seem to be very few members with '64 Overlanders. It appears from your picture that you have a California model. You can decode your serial number using the following:
First digit should be an O or I, next two numbers would be 26 (length) next digit a 4 (1964) Next digit a 1 or 2 depending on a twin layout or a single double bed in the hallway. Last four digits are the sequence.
Example, mine is S 026410559 (Ohio model 26' 1964 Double bed, sequence # 0559)

1964 Overlander 26'
Ohio | S O(I) 26 4 1(2) NNNN
California | O(I) 26 4 1(2) S NNNN
(O prefix = Landyacht options; I = International options)
(1=double-bed layout, 2=twin-bed)

Compare yours to others here: http://vintageairstream.com/archives...der/index.html
__________________
AIR 12256
Currently Looking
2001 Dodge Ram 1500
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
GreatPumpkin's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,033
Images: 70
I forgot to mention I have the original owners manual for mine in great shape. I don't know of any place they are available - if you can't find one I would be happy to photocopy mine and send it to you for the cost of the copies and postage.
__________________
AIR 12256
Currently Looking
2001 Dodge Ram 1500
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:15 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
 
1964 26' Overlander
Spring , Texas
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 22
Images: 12
1964 - Overlander interior dump pictures -plus VIN

Hi Andrew,

We'll she doesn't look to bad on the outside but the inside is like from the movie twister. We are thinking about calling her Dorothy. To bad we can't tap our red shoes together and have a new interior. This restoration will definitely be a labor of love. This is our second restoration. Our first one was a 1983 popup skamper which we recently sold on Ebay. Our VIN number is I24-S-5215 and just below that engraved is 6404. What does all this mean?
http://www.airforums.com/forum...1&d=1148357333

http://www.airforums.com/forum...1&d=1148357037
calredcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
GreatPumpkin's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,033
Images: 70
Your last photo links aren't working. Do you have more pictures? What do the rear taillights look like?
I don't think you've got a '64 Overlander by the numbers provided. It might be a '64 Tradewind 24'. Is the number I 24-S-5215 as posted above, or I 42-S-5215 as posted in your profile?
__________________
AIR 12256
Currently Looking
2001 Dodge Ram 1500
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:46 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
1964 26' Overlander
Spring , Texas
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 22
Images: 12
photos of the inside and out

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
Your last photo links aren't working. Do you have more pictures? What do the rear taillights look like?
I don't think you've got a '64 by the numbers provided.

Here are some pictures.Attachment 21568

Attachment 21572

Attachment 21574Attachment 21575

It is a complete disaster on the inside. Also, Does anyone know what the white numbers on the outside shell stand for? Ours is 29741.
calredcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
GreatPumpkin's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,033
Images: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by calredcoat
......Does anyone know what the white numbers on the outside shell stand for? Ours is 29741.
Those are the remains of the RED WBCCI membership numbers http://www.wbcci.org/
Wally Byam Caravan Club International.

Picture links still show "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

I'm pretty sure by the numbers provided that you've got a '64 Tradewind 24' model but the last 4 digits 5215 are throwing me, as it should be a 4nnn instead of a 5nnn.
California | O(I) 4 1(2) S 4NNN
("O" prefix for Landyacht options; "I" for Int'l options)
"2"=twin-bed layout; "1"=double-bed
__________________
AIR 12256
Currently Looking
2001 Dodge Ram 1500
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:52 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member
 
1964 26' Overlander
Spring , Texas
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 22
Images: 12
Overlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
Your last photo links aren't working. Do you have more pictures? What do the rear taillights look like?
I don't think you've got a '64 Overlander by the numbers provided. It might be a '64 Tradewind 24'. Is the number I 24-S-5215 as posted above, or I 42-S-5215 as posted in your profile?
It's late for me. The VIN number is I 42-S-5215. Sorry about the pictures, this is the first time I have ever been on a forum. Still trying to figure out how to things work. Also I forgot to mention that there is a 6404 engraved just below the VIN. Does that mean anything? The name plate does have Overlander on it.
calredcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:54 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
 
1964 26' Overlander
Spring , Texas
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 22
Images: 12
Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
Those are the remains of the RED WBCCI membership numbers http://www.wbcci.org/
Wally Byam Caravan Club International.

Picture links still show "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"
Okay, that is really strange, because when I click on them my pics come up.
calredcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:04 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
 
1964 26' Overlander
Spring , Texas
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 22
Images: 12
More pics

calredcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:06 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member
 
1964 26' Overlander
Spring , Texas
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 22
Images: 12
calredcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:09 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member
 
1964 26' Overlander
Spring , Texas
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 22
Images: 12
more pics

calredcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
GreatPumpkin's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,033
Images: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by calredcoat
It's late for me. The VIN number is I 42-S-5215. Sorry about the pictures, this is the first time I have ever been on a forum. Still trying to figure out how to things work. Also I forgot to mention that there is a 6404 engraved just below the VIN. Does that mean anything? The name plate does have Overlander on it.
Maybe I should step back and let an expert chime in here - I'm fairly new to Airstreams myself. As far as I can determine a '64 Overlander California model should have a number in the format of I 26 42 S 5215: I = International options, 26 = length 4 = ? 2 = Twin bed layout S = California factory NNNN = Sequential number. The 6404 I don't have any idea about.

Don't worry though, someone else will pop in and set us straight
__________________
AIR 12256
Currently Looking
2001 Dodge Ram 1500
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:35 PM   #16
Van
4 Rivet Member
 
1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 348
Images: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by calredcoat


Okay, that is really strange, because when I click on them my pics come up.

It could be a number of issues. Too many photos, photos too big, etc. A mod can tell you for sure what your doing wrong i think. You could also sign up for ... http://photobucket.com/

A free online hosting service.

Nice find on the trailer btw, cute kid too.
__________________
Van
2009 F-350 FX4 Crewcab 4x4 6.4l
former '78 Argosy 20' Minuet owner
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master
 
overlander63's Avatar

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,900
What you seem to have, is a 28' Ambassador, International trim package. 26 is an Overlander, 24 is a Tradewind. The "428 is a 1964, 28'. The extra window in the first picture leads me to believe it is an Ambassador, as it has one more window then our Overlander. Also, it seems to have come from Ohio, based on the shape of the wheelwells, the California models' wheelwells are arched, rather than straight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000684.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	21577  
__________________
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:04 AM   #18
Rivet Master
 
47WeeWind's Avatar
 
1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,162
Images: 20
A character is still missing ...

Hi calredcoat:

I'll begin with the easy part: 6404 is the year and month your trailer was built, 1964 04 [April, the 4th month], or April 1964.

You still seem to be missing a number or character from your serial number. The first photo in this thread shows the name "Overlander" under the front jalousie window, so your trailer is a 26' Overlander. The small black plate next to the large serial number plate is a California Division of Housing certification plates and identifies your Overlander as having been built in California. The "I" in the serial number, the raised trim around the large blue serial number plate, and the name "International Land Yacht" on the blue serial number plate itself all identify your Overlander as having the International trim level package, the top of the line trim package. The 5 panel end caps and small black Calif. Div. of Housing plate appeared together only on 1964 trailers, which is consistent with the April 1964 built date, together which tell us yours is a 1964 model year trailer 26' Overlander International. But your serial number remains an odd puzzle.

Once you learn how to post a photo, could you please post a close up of your serial number? Could the "S" be a misread "6"? I'll refrain from further guessing until I see a photo of the serial number. Thanks, and welcome.
__________________
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:57 AM   #19
Rivet Master
 
GreatPumpkin's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,033
Images: 70
Fred -
I was hoping you would see this post and chime in as you seem to be the expert in this

Why does the serial # format on the California model vary so much from the Ohio of the same model and vintage?
__________________
AIR 12256
Currently Looking
2001 Dodge Ram 1500
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:29 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
 
1964 26' Overlander
Spring , Texas
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 22
Images: 12
Pics of my VIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Hi calredcoat:

I'll begin with the easy part: 6404 is the year and month your trailer was built, 1964 04 [April, the 4th month], or April 1964.

You still seem to be missing a number or character from your serial number. The first photo in this thread shows the name "Overlander" under the front jalousie window, so your trailer is a 26' Overlander. The small black plate next to the large serial number plate is a California Division of Housing certification plates and identifies your Overlander as having been built in California. The "I" in the serial number, the raised trim around the large blue serial number plate, and the name "International Land Yacht" on the blue serial number plate itself all identify your Overlander as having the International trim level package, the top of the line trim package. The 5 panel end caps and small black Calif. Div. of Housing plate appeared together only on 1964 trailers, which is consistent with the April 1964 built date, together which tell us yours is a 1964 model year trailer 26' Overlander International. But your serial number remains an odd puzzle.

Once you learn how to post a photo, could you please post a close up of your serial number? Could the "S" be a misread "6"? I'll refrain from further guessing until I see a photo of the serial number. Thanks, and welcome.
Hi Fred,
Just got home from work. Happy to see your post. After going out and taking a couple of pictures of the VIN, I realize the I is actually a 1. So my VIN say 142 S 5215 and underneath 6404. Here are a couple of pictures of that. What do you make of it? Thanks, Pam
Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Airstream Overlander 050 sm.jpg
Views:	1571
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	21592

Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Airstream Overlander 051 sm.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	21593
__________________

calredcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1964, 1964 overlander


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1966 Overlander International Double Tamara 1965 - 1969 Overlander 30 03-28-2006 02:55 PM
Thinking of Buying '72 Overlander Joe C 1970 - 1973 Overlander 16 07-20-2005 06:01 AM
1966 Overlander International Twin Bed Action 1965 - 1969 Overlander 6 10-04-2004 06:12 PM
P30 VIN location dienst1 Airstream Motorhome Forums 5 01-14-2003 03:11 PM
PROUD NEW OWNERS of a 1974 International Overlander Anna Our Community 6 11-09-2002 07:29 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×