Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2009, 06:08 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbosa View Post
I called three DOL offices in my state who all said that without a "notarized letter of testimentary," or a court order authorizing whoever signed the title over to actually sign the title, they won't register it for me.
Back to the search.
Thanks for bringing this this problem to our attention and reminding us how important it is to make sure the paper work is all in order before closing the deal. In buying a couple of trailers and 4 other vehicles in several different states to import to Canada I've learned that each government handles titles/registration differently.
I was all set to buy an Airstream in Maine, but the owner didn't have a title. The trailer was old enough that a title wasn't needed to register it in Maine, but when I asked at the Ontario Ministry of Transportation they said there was no way I could register the trailer here without a title from Maine. Maybe there would have been a solution to getting a Maine title, but I decided it wasn't worth pursuing due to the distance and that the trailer wasn't anything special.
I hope you're able to work this out and get your trailer!

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
nmbosa,

If this trailer was sold by a personal representative of the decendent, then most likely there would have been an order by the probate judge. Ask the owner to check with the appropriate county court and see if there are documents already on file. Property, or a vehicle sold by a PR is no different than a vehicle sold by a dealer, and it wouldn't have to be titled in their name. If this type of verification is all your state requires, then it will probably be an easier process than the current owner may have to deal with in California.

There a really two issues that these rules cover. First is the issue of a stolen vehicle. The second is a revenue issue. One governmental entity or another expects some money from every vehicle owner every year without fail. As long as the ownership isn't questionable, then you should be able to title this trailer in your name.

By the way, my father had a small utility trailer that he loaned my aunt and uncle. They loaded it up with stuff they got in Florida and drove it to their home in Alabama. Sometime during the two years we lived overseas my uncle sold the trailer without my fathers permission or legal title. For many years that issue undermined their relationship. Just because something's doable -doesn't mean it should be done.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Hey forum members, can anyone help with tire and wheel size for a 1959 dual axle Overlander International.

This deal is finally going through. Title is clear and I'm buying the trailer tonight with the amazing assistance of a very understanding mother-in-law who is going to take possession of the trailer while I arrange to get it home. Now I need to order tires and wheels. The seller swears the current set up has 14 inch rims with a tire size of "7-14.5MH." I have not put eyes on this thing yet, so I can't tell if this is correct. He also swears they are not split rims.

I was planning to buy 15 x 6 JJ wheels (Dexstar conventional rims) with a bolt pattern of 6 on 5.5 inches. Does this sound right?
nmbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Hey forum members, can anyone help with tire and wheel size for a 1959 dual axle Overlander International.

This deal is finally going through. Title is clear and I'm buying the trailer tonight with the amazing assistance of a very understanding mother-in-law who is going to take possession of the trailer while I arrange to get it home. Now I need to order tires and wheels. The seller swears the current set up has 14 inch rims with a tire size of "7-14.5MH." I have not put eyes on this thing yet, so I can't tell if this is correct. He also swears they are not split rims.

I was planning to buy 15 x 6 JJ wheels (Dexstar conventional rims) with a bolt pattern of 6 on 5.5 inches. Does this sound right?
Could be, Rob Baker (robandzoe) (PM him) has that size on his SOTR. I believe that it was a common size in the mid-late 1950's. It was used on mobile homes also.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:43 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hello,

Congrats! We are ready for more pics once you bring it home!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Well done!

Congratulations Norm! Can wait to see it in real life!
Old 04-13-2009, 09:50 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
about your wheels

Check out this thread about another overlander that made a trip home several years ago:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...9-a-10709.html

It sure is starting to look like it might indeed have 14.5 rims. But if you're going to replace them, could you up to 15s? I've got no idea.

You should start a thread in the overlander sub-forum as well. I bet quite a few people would love to see photos etc. of the trailer and its trip to Seattle.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:53 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
Thumbs up Wheels

My 58 overlander had 14.5 wheels on it that were not split rims. I put 15 inch wheels, 6 bolt pattern 5.5 inch circle on mine to get it home. the bolts were 7/16 not the 1/2 common today. So glad to hear you are getting that overlander.
navyeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:33 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
nmbosa,

Glad things worked out for you. I'm sure the trailer will now have a well deserved home.

Sounds like the same wheels I put on my '55 Spartan.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #30
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:

14.5" is tubeless size, so they are not split rims, if the size is in fact 14.5. It sounds like someone put equipment trailer tires and wheels on it when they had to make a decision about the split rims.
This is why many older motor homes have 16.5" wheels, for the same reason, 16" used to be tube only, way back in the olden days of yore.
I would make sure you still have 6 lug wheels on there before ordering.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
alameda , California
edit: sorry folks, I put this reply up before I realized I hadn't read the thread entirely. Anyway, it still may be useful info, so I'll leave it alone.....

Hi there nmbosa. The other week I came across a freebie AS (the one I have now). It had been sitting on a trailer park for 20 years or so and had been abandoned, not registered since '86. In CA, I've learned, that DMV holds record history for only three years on trailers (perhaps all vehicles?), then the record is "closed". When I called my CA DMV to check the VIN history before pulling it home, they had no record of it. There was no owner for the trailer as that info had been closed or purged out of the system. In order to tow it on the street, I began the registration process by paying the $62 in "three years" of past-due reg, they gave me the temporary registration tag, good until the end of next month so that I could tow it in to DMV for the VIN verification. The VIN matched what I had given them for history check, I did a statement of facts describing the history as I understood it per "seller" and that was that. They gave me my plates, title should be here pretty soon, and they said they just started over with a clean record.
It sounds a lot like your situation (but your trailer looks great inside).
Maybe give it a shot. I don't know about DMV in your state, but in CA you often will get someone who is very indifferent to your situation. You'll likely have to call again after being discouraged and mildy frustrated, wait on hold again for 10-15 minutes until you reach someone helpful and who actually takes their job seriously.
Best of luck!!!!!!!
Ruben J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1959, 1959 overlander