Old 04-14-2009, 09:33 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida

Glad things worked out for you. I'm sure the trailer will now have a well deserved home.

Sounds like the same wheels I put on my '55 Spartan.

tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #30
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Originally Posted by nmbosa View Post
Hey forum members, can anyone help with tire and wheel size for a 1959 dual axle Overlander International.

This deal is finally going through. Title is clear and I'm buying the trailer tonight with the amazing assistance of a very understanding mother-in-law who is going to take possession of the trailer while I arrange to get it home. Now I need to order tires and wheels. The seller swears the current set up has 14 inch rims with a tire size of "7-14.5MH." I have not put eyes on this thing yet, so I can't tell if this is correct. He also swears they are not split rims.

I was planning to buy 15 x 6 JJ wheels (Dexstar conventional rims) with a bolt pattern of 6 on 5.5 inches. Does this sound right?
14.5" is tubeless size, so they are not split rims, if the size is in fact 14.5. It sounds like someone put equipment trailer tires and wheels on it when they had to make a decision about the split rims.
This is why many older motor homes have 16.5" wheels, for the same reason, 16" used to be tube only, way back in the olden days of yore.
I would make sure you still have 6 lug wheels on there before ordering.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member
1973 31' Sovereign
Alameda , Ca
edit: sorry folks, I put this reply up before I realized I hadn't read the thread entirely. Anyway, it still may be useful info, so I'll leave it alone.....

Hi there nmbosa. The other week I came across a freebie AS (the one I have now). It had been sitting on a trailer park for 20 years or so and had been abandoned, not registered since '86. In CA, I've learned, that DMV holds record history for only three years on trailers (perhaps all vehicles?), then the record is "closed". When I called my CA DMV to check the VIN history before pulling it home, they had no record of it. There was no owner for the trailer as that info had been closed or purged out of the system. In order to tow it on the street, I began the registration process by paying the $62 in "three years" of past-due reg, they gave me the temporary registration tag, good until the end of next month so that I could tow it in to DMV for the VIN verification. The VIN matched what I had given them for history check, I did a statement of facts describing the history as I understood it per "seller" and that was that. They gave me my plates, title should be here pretty soon, and they said they just started over with a clean record.
It sounds a lot like your situation (but your trailer looks great inside).
Maybe give it a shot. I don't know about DMV in your state, but in CA you often will get someone who is very indifferent to your situation. You'll likely have to call again after being discouraged and mildy frustrated, wait on hold again for 10-15 minutes until you reach someone helpful and who actually takes their job seriously.
Best of luck!!!!!!!

Ruben J is offline   Reply With Quote

1959, 1959 overlander