Old 02-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Twisp , Washington
What about insurance?

Having spent thousands of dollars and countless hours converting a pile of aluminum on it's way to the recyclers into a polished diamond inside and out, how do you go about getting it insured for something close to what you now have into it?

We bought ours about 15 years ago for $5000, had we not bought it, it's next stop would literally have been the wrecking yard. In the last few years I've replaced axles, shocks, tires, water heater, water lines, furnace, most of the 12 volt electrical, batteries, in other words, all the critical systems. I'm now working on secondary systems and interior cosmetic issues, next winter will be exterior. So far, we're into it for somewhere around twice our initial cost, and that's JUST material cost, I've done all the labor myself, don't even want to think what the bill would have been if we'd had to pay someone to do all that.

So how do you keep your insurance company from writing it off as totaled from one minor crease down the side? Or worst case, how do you recover something close to what you've got into it in the event it DOES get totaled, somehow? My wife talked to our agent today, but I've got a feeling that our agent is clueless in this kind of situation. I'd really appreciate hearing from some of you that have already dealt with this issue. Thanks.

Dave

Old 02-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Windsor , Ontario
Get a letter of value from an Airstream dealer & take lots of pictures.

Show these things to an insurance broker & no doubt you'll find that he'll be pleased to help you !!

P.
--------------------
Calling all Airstream 34's...
Join the Facebook A'34 group today !!

Old 02-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Check with the classic car/boat insurance companies and talk about agreed value. I use Hagerty, however there are quite a few different companies. Also if you have an umbrella policy, make sure that the company insuring the AS meets the umbrella policy requirements.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
Dave - I'm in the same boat as you. I restored my trailer by myself and have taken photos and kept receipts as well. I currently have State Farm and all they have told me is to keep good records. But it's hard to value the time we have both invested.

I know if you do find a company who issues "stated value" policies, they will require a professional estimate of the value. That's going to be in the $300.00 range. Probably worth it in the end. I know my local AS dealer will not do value estimations.

Until my policy with State Farm ends, I have been meticulous in keeping good records and whenever a similar trailer pops up for sale, I print it off as proof of the value of these trailers. It's the best I can do for now!

Denis - Hagerty told me they do not do travel trailers. Do you have a vintage car policy with them?
star kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Springfield , Illinois
I have the same problem with insurance. I'm hoping somebody has a insurance company that will write a policy on declared value and I'm willing to pay a premium appropriately. My last unit was a white box that got totalled and took a bath on that.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Windsor , Ontario
Dave : Just one more thing...

Keep in mind that "quite often" insurance is like a hospital gown...because...

You get the impression that you're covered...but in reality, your ass actually isn't !!
Join the Facebook A'34 group today !!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/206443579449380/
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
We have an agreed upon policy with Progressive. I send some pictures of our trailer, and some links to trailers for sale so that they had a reference as to what replacement cost was and they agreed. Initially they asked for an appraisal, but after I sent the above information Progressive decided the appraisal wasn't necessary.

No claims as yet, thankfully, so I can't attest to their service.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
We also used Progressive with an agreed value. I sent them a copy of every receipt for the entire resto/reno including the original purchase price. We have an agreed insured value of $15,000.00 and I'm happy with that. You really get nothing for you labor.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Amica sends me a notice each year asking to update the coverage to reflect any improvements on a booster policy. Keeping good records is also for homeowners & the tow vehicles drivers insurance for if/when they have to approach yet another insurance company to recover damages from an incident not of your doing. I think.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Most companies provide "stated value" policies where the premium is based on what you say it's worth (within limits), rather than current market value of a 40-year old vehicle. This is often done in the case of old cars. Values above a certain level, or a certain level above blue book will likely require a degree of documentation, in the form of an appraisal, not your shoebox of receipts. If you don't have stated value coverage, then your restoration and TLC are of value to you only, and it's insurance value is that of a 40-year old vehicle.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Star Kitty, i have four cars with Hagerty and also used their boat policy for a restored Chris-Craft. I may send them a link to this thread as it might make sense to for them to do some follow up.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:23 AM   #12
Always learning
Commercial Member

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
For those of you wanting to get a professional appraisal, I recommend you contact SilverPal or SilverPal2 here on the forums. SilverPal2 gave a very informative presentation about insurance and agreed policy values at the Vintage Restoration Rally in Albuquerque.
Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
Star Kitty, i have four cars with Hagerty and also used their boat policy for a restored Chris-Craft. I may send them a link to this thread as it might make sense to for them to do some follow up.
I figured you were a good customer and they threw in your trailer as a bonus!

I found my Globetrotter a year ago in Durango. Bought it out in May Day.

BTW, there is a vintage Chris Craft sitting in a salvage yard in Denver just withering away. What a shame. The wood may be too far gone to restore. It's a beauty though!
star kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Just got off the phone with Hagerty and asked about vintage AS coverage. The sticking point seems to be propane appliances and the added liability that that incurs. It's still under study according to the rep I talked to.