Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #21
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Has anyone had any luck with Foremost? They are a part of Farmers. Great thread by the way!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
Has anyone had any luck with Foremost? They are a part of Farmers. Great thread by the way!
My agent checked with Farmers, since my cars and house are with them. They were double the premium of Progressive. I assume she checked with the associated "arms" of Farmers......maybe not.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
Foremost should indeed be placed on an insurance list.

DEAD LAST.

Why???

They depreciate the aluminum on the exterior.

Bad, bad deal.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Hey folks, I am an insurance Agent and an Airstreamer. I am licensed in NC and SC, so what I am about to say is relevant in NC and SC.

Typically, your liability coverages on your tow vehicle extends to your AS. If you wreck and do property damage, your liability insurance will take care of the other guy's vehicle.

The questions is "What covers my poor wrecked Airstream?" That would be your Collision and Comprehensive coverages. Collision covers you when you are moving. If you have an accident while moving your coverage kicks in and takes care of your vehicle. Comprehensive covers your trailer when it is not moving. So, if a tree falls on your AS, Comprehensive kicks in and covers it. Having said that, with my company I can write *stated value* coverage for an AS. Currently I have my 72 Overlander trailer insured for 10K. What this means is that in the case of a claim they will pay *UP TO* 10k for replacement value.

Your local Agent can help you determine if this type of coverage is available in your state, typically the mooks on the phone don't have any idea how to write this type of coverage, nor are they typically aware that the coverage exists. One more thing, and this is important - Comprehensive *DOES NOT COVER* Awnings and other attachments to your trailer, nor does it provide very much for *personal property*. So check these coverages as well.

Lastly I write Haggerty, insurance, please understand that they impose a *limit* to how far you can operate a vehicle each year, typically this is 1000 or less. Feel to holler at me via email and I hope this helps.

Thanks!
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #25
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Foremost should indeed be placed on an insurance list.

DEAD LAST.

Why???

They depreciate the aluminum on the exterior.

Bad, bad deal.

Andy
Thanks Andy good to know!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:06 AM   #26
Noob

2009 22' Sport
Columbus , Texas
Much of the insurance industry is now calling Comprehensive coverage Other Than Collision, which helps the insurance buyer understand better what the coverage does for them. Again, this will be defined in your policy. Usually things such as; fire, theft, vandalism, flooding, hail, glass breakage, and others. NEVER assume you have coverage. Only slightly trust your agent or carrier to tell you the correct information. Read your policy. (Oh, did I mention that you should read your policy?)
Old 02-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Dan and Liz - Thanks for the tip. I got an "Agreed Value" Policy for my 65 Safari of $20,900.00 from FCIS via an appraisal from a local RV dealer. Thanks.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Tim: hope you"ll still say thanks if you have a claim; we'll both see how they work out. Luck to us both!

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
I finally got to do my Donald Trump impersonation last year, when I told Camping World (GMAC), "You're Fired", after they almost DOUBLED the price, when I traded a 2011 28' Flying Cloud for a 2012 30' Int'l. (Incidently, I've never had to file a claim).

After checking around, I went with Progressive; reasonable rates for everything, and you can manage your accounts online, as opposed to GMAC, where everything seemed slow, difficult (old-school), and eventually, outrageously expensive. Time will tell.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Claims people different from sales

As a former mgr of a small ins agency (sales) and claim adjuster and claim office supervisor (claims) covering three major insurers, and a methods analyst in the home office of a major insurer, what I learned is that sales agents will tell you what they think is correct or will sell the policy, but there is often a HUGE gap between what the agent says (knows) and what the eventual claim adjuster will say. And that's assuming the agent is honestly trying.

The agent really doesn't know (or care, usually) what details of claims will get you in trouble. Adjusters are reluctant to answer hypothetical questions. So the loss of your A/S can sort of fall between those two stools. But for sure, even with a stated value policy, you will not get that stated amount of $$ in the event of loss or damage unless you have documentation out the wazoo: appraisals, photos, receipts (and yes, your labor is worthless, oops: uncompensated).

The adjuster's purpose in life is to pay as little as possible, so the value of a vintage trailer is zero until you prove otherwise, even on a stated value policy. In the parlance of insurance, even a completely restored trailer that they agreed was worth $20,000 ten yrs ago on completion of resto will depreciate a certain % per year, so 10 yrs later at 10-15% depreciation/yr, how much do you think they will pay out? So as in real estate (location, location, location), for vintage folks it is documentation, documentation, documentation, with the added twist of CURRENT photos detailing condition at time of loss/damage. Can't overemphasize that: current condition. Then, you might have a chance of wringing out close to the stated value from them.

Sorry for the cynicism, but that's how insurance companies stay in the black.
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:27 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Cookeville , Tennessee
I would check around, I got $6000 replacement value on my 1973 AS, for $28 per year from Grange. All i had to do was send a picture & the $28.Dont let em BS you, ask for replacement value/full coverage. Campers arent a high risk for an insurance company, they sit in the yard 90% of the time.
L911 is offline   Reply With Quote