Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
WARNING WARNING on Insurance Coverage

To my surprise this morning I was told by Good Sam's insurance agency that I did not have any coverage while my trailer is in storage and anyone other myself moves the trailer.

Just had my indoor storage company run into a wall while moving my trailer, my 60 day old new trailer now probably needs the roadside rear corner and side panel replaced.

Working with the storage yard to pay for it since they admitted fully that they screwed up. But....

The wording in the policy says:

loss to your covered auto or any non-owned auto beingmaintained or usedby any person while employed or otherwise engaged in the business of:
a. selling; b. repairing: c. servicing; d. storing; e. parking; f. road testing; or g. delivering vehicles designed for use on public highways.

So in essence if you hand over your AS to a lot, service center, really anyone else and they are doing any of these activities you will be at the mercy of whether they have any insurance coverage in case they damage your unit.

The claims adjuster used a good analogy. You drive up to the valet at the restaurant and have them park your car. The valet does the Ferris Buehler wild ride and totals your car. Valet company has no insurance. You are SOL on a claim.

Needless to say this is eye opening to me. Worth checking your policy. This is section D Exclusions of the Good Sam/National General policy.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Most folks also don't realize most policies will not cover loss if the trailer is not attached to the tow vehicle.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Black Diamond , Washington
Your regular car insurance covers the trailer if it's attached to your vehicle. If it's parked somewhere not attached, then the trailer insurance kicks in.
mariusg78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Also, watch out if you carry bikes, etc., on the back, like on a hitch rack (or on roof of your car). Insurance may refuse coverage if they don't know you have racks.

Just went through this with our insurance company with our bike rack and bike on top of car, and husband pulled into our underground parking garage. oops. They now have notated that we have roof racks, AND that our RV has a rear bike rack.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:15 AM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Not sure I see what the big deal is. All those entities are required to have their own insurance under state law in pretty much every state, and they're all responsible for providing first-dollar coverage (no deductible). Making a claim on your own policy would be a last resort because of the deductible and because it would affect future premiums.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Wouldn't the storage facility file a claim with their carrier for this?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #7
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Most places you park your car, or even in outdoor storage very likely have a statement in their contract/agreement with you that absolves them of all liability. They may or may not have insurance, no state law that I am aware of that makes that a requirement. Many businesses go 'naked' when it comes to liability coverage of customers goods since they put language and signs up that says, 'I warned ya, don't come to me that while parked in my parking garage one of the mercury lamps fell off of the roof and went clean through your sunroof".

As is often said your mileage may vary depending on where you are. And one could certainly go to court but at what cost? Just a heads up to something that has totally caught me by surprise.

I will be asking whether the storage yard has an insurance carrier as I discuss the repairs with them.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #8
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Most places you park your car, or even in outdoor storage very likely have a statement in their contract/agreement with you that absolves them of all liability. They may or may not have insurance, no state law that I am aware of that makes that a requirement. Many businesses go 'naked' when it comes to liability coverage of customers goods since they put language and signs up that says, 'I warned ya, don't come to me that while parked in my parking garage one of the mercury lamps fell off of the roof and went clean through your sunroof".
The concern you expressed upthread was parking attendants (etc) who "maintain or use" vehicles. If that's going on then they're liable for their mistakes no matter what the contract says. Around here parking lots are licensed by the city they are in, and the cities require insurance.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:00 PM   #9
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
So an update. In checking with BlueSky, FCIS and Progressive none of their policies have the type of restriction that is in the GoodSam/National General policy mentioned above. Canceled today and switched to BlueSky.

I would rather have coverage than need to fight with another insurance company or a lawyer.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Dayton , Washington
Quote:
So an update. In checking with BlueSky, FCIS and Progressive none of their policies have the type of restriction that is in the GoodSam/National General policy mentioned above. Canceled today and switched to BlueSky.

I would rather have coverage than need to fight with another insurance company or a lawyer.
Amen...this was an eye opener to us and you did the smart thing...pays to read your policy...insurance is different with every company...we will be switching...
Streampunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
This is a good heads up for people that have never read the small print in their policy. That goes for home and auto also.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:

Yes your pretty much right, but that doesn't apply here. In this case the storage company was moving his camper.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Also, if you want coverage for hail damage, make sure you read the fine print!

I did with my previous policy and found that I was only covered if the hail perforated the trailer! Seems to me that hail damage is mostly cosmetic - although I'm sure it significantly reduces the value of your trailer - and perforation by hail would be a pretty remote eventuality. Although my insurance broker told me that it happens often ?!?!

In the end I switched insurance companies and paid more to have realistic hail damage coverage!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:50 AM   #14
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
My biggest fear with the Good Sam insurance is that I would forget to call them and take the insurance out of storage -- and have no collision coverage as a result. We decided to take the AS out of storage on a Saturday morning without planning ahead, so I called Good Sam before (honest! it was before!) and left a voicemail to indicate I wanted my policy to reflect "out of storage" effective that day. Their recording said they would reflect the change within 48 hours. Everything worked like they said and was easy. I paid for the collision coverage starting the day I indicated, so I assume if an accident happened in the 20 miles from storage to home, I would be covered. Lucky for me that did not happen.

But I need to be more careful on the first tow of the season. Last year first tow - left the awning tie downs open. Disaster ensued within 20 miles. Had the awning replaced. This year, I left a window open - not open, but closed without closing the clasps. No damage that I can see, so maybe the window didn't open and I got lucky? for some reason I use my checklists thoroughly every time, but the first tow, when not camping, my mind flips to "since I haven't been camping I don't really need to use the checklist, right?" Wrong! I need more than an insurance policy to protect myself from myself!
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I just got a Good Sams policy and they told me I could call when I put it in storage and they would reduce the coverage duringthat time and I would get a refund on the premium. If I keep full coverage on, maybe incidents like what happened here would be covered. I guess I need to read the policy. I may be keeping full coverage over the storage period.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:42 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Lots of good comments. Airstream repair is expensive and it is done by very few.
I had a young texting driver sideswipe my 28' Flying Cloud in Huntsville, AL. Big crease in driver side panel and the rear panel. Tore off molding and bent the steel piece that hits the ground if you go to steep. Worst part was I was boon docking and had a 50% full black tank and her bumper pulled the discharge plastic pipe loose and it leaked out all of the sewerage.
Good news was the running gear was undamaged and she had insurance($25,000 liability).
Bad news is the repair shops in FL are backed up for 6-9 months.
I have found an Airstream restorer who can do panel replacement in Melbourne, FL.
I will start repair next week to damage done in June.
The $25,000 liability policy is enough to pay for the repairs.
Insurance coverage very important on an Airstream as replacement of panels cost thousands.
Kingsmen 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:25 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Also, if you want coverage for hail damage, make sure you read the fine print!

I did with my previous policy and found that I was only covered if the hail perforated the trailer! Seems to me that hail damage is mostly cosmetic - although I'm sure it significantly reduces the value of your trailer - and perforation by hail would be a pretty remote eventuality. Although my insurance broker told me that it happens often ?!?!

In the end I switched insurance companies and paid more to have realistic hail damage coverage!

Brian.
I believe you are looking in the wrong place. What you are referring to is damage to personal property. The hail would have to cause a hole for a claim to result on the personal property inside. I believe the aluminum skin is covered.

My auto insurance company could not give me the coverage that Good Sam provided. Before everyone jumps to another carrier you should compare policies and ask the right questions. I'm not defending Good Sam, I just would like an accurate comparison between companies.

I have my own storage but if I didn't, don't you think it is important that you ask where you store if they have insurance? Too many people store in friends barn.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:27 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Here is the Good Sam reference:

4. Windstorm or hail; this peril does not include loss to personal effects within the recreational vehicle caused by rain, sleet, or snow unless the direct force of wind or hail damages the recreational vehicle causing an opening in the roof or wall and the rain, sleet or snow enters through this opening;

Tom & Doty
Old 08-13-2016, 10:05 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Here is the Good Sam reference:

4. Windstorm or hail; this peril does not include loss to personal effects within the recreational vehicle caused by rain, sleet, or snow unless the direct force of wind or hail damages the recreational vehicle causing an opening in the roof or wall and the rain, sleet or snow enters through this opening;
That's interesting. Also, ridiculous. I'm going to check my progressive insurance coverage. If it has the same exclusion I'm going to immediately find other insurance that covers ALL hail damage!
Sjcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjcjr View Post
That's interesting. Also, ridiculous. I'm going to check my progressive insurance coverage. If it has the same exclusion I'm going to immediately find other insurance that covers ALL hail damage!

Good sam does cover hail damage. Read my post again.

I talked to a progressive agent and he said their policy WOULD cover the trailer at a storage facility no matter who moved it. Progressive may be a good choice. You can also have one local agent. That is the problem with good sam, you never deal with the same agent.

The progressive agent I talked to did say that Good Sam has similar coverage. He just called the "only the policy holder can move the trailer" as "quirky".

Tom & Doty