Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2004, 09:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

vintage insurance?

I've done a search and was unable to find a good anwser. Our insurance carrier needs to know the original selling price of a 1967 Caravel before they can write a new insurance policy for us. Since I always get a good anwser from this forum I figured here is the best place to ask. I think I just need a reasonable ballpark price. Also while I'm at it, how does anyone out there insure their older A/S. I know that for my antique car there is a special insurance company that covers it for set valued price. Is there any out there for vintage A/S?

whistler
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 08:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Somewhere online was a document that showed original retail on vintage coaches and for the life of me I can't find it.

You want to get appriased value if it's in any kind of shape. Your original price was around $2700 new. Unless you got a smoking deal or it's rough I bet you already paid more for it.

I'm in the same boat and currently Our Coach is insured for $2738, original purchace price. Once I get it restored I'll have it appraised and insured bassed on that.

Right now the smaller coaches, like yours, are fetching the big bucks. Restored Bambies are well over $10k now.

http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_t...condition.html would be a good place to start on what it's worth. VintageAirstream.com as a whole is a great recsource. Hit the link page and they have some more insurance information.

Also are you just lookin in the Forums or using the Search feature at the top right of the page? Should be a few insurance related posts.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Insurance

There are two types of insurance policies. One is a "stated value" and the other is "ACV", (actual cash value).

Some insurance companies will insure an older coach, based on the original selling price.

DON'T FALL FOR THAT ONE!!!!

Many owners have invested thousands of dollars upgrading, remodeling etc.

Keep your receipts of what you have invested in that coach. If a shop did the work, keep the repair orders. If you did the work, keep all the receipts, AND, keep a record of the man hours that you have invested doing the repairs. A reasonable amount of time and at an reasonable labor rate, is recognized by some of the insurance companies.

When you properly document your investment, some insurance companies will be more than happy to insure that coach at a value considerbly higher than it's original selling price.

As an example, a customer of ours has a 1965 Caravelle insured for $47,000 (forty seven thousand) dollars. She had all of the proper records and therefore her insurance company readily accepted that amount.

Be prepared however, to pay a much larger premium, when you have established a larger value in writing.

You can also have the coach appraised by a recognized Airstream expert, that can document the values established, and can document their expertise. Be prepared to pay for that written appraisel. Photo's attached to the appraisel, further documents the values.

A 1966 Caravel had a full sticker price of $2995.00, with all the whistles, bells and toys. Many insurance companies, unfortunately, wish to depreciate that value, leaving you with next to nothing. Don't let them do it!!!!!

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote