Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2011, 09:22 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdthor View Post

Having said that I must also report that I have never actually seen USAA (HQ San Antonio) and the whole operation might be run out of someone's garage for all I know.
I actually went to the branch that they have opened in San Antonio to ask some questions. Definitely not a garage op.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
About 15 years ago I had my vehicle burglerized while vacationing in San Diego. My vehicle insurance was with USAA but my homeowners insurance was with Allstate.
Long story short - USAA gave me the run-around on a couple of things that I felt should be no question. Allstate covered a $900 radio that belonged to the Fire Department. They were not obligated to cover the radio because it belonged to a "commercial business".
The customer service was enough of a contrast that I switched everything to Allstate. I realize that the person handling my claim may have been not up to USAA's normal customer service standards, and have occasionally considered going back to them based on their usually good reputation.
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Agreed Value Policy

Thankyou "pb379 2010" and "chief" for enlightening me regarding having the trailer insured under an "agreed value policy." USAA has been my insurance company since 1967 except for a brief stint in l981 when I insured my house, two cars, and my motorcycle with State Farm. I was dropped from State Farm when I had two minor motorcycle accidents one for $700, and one for $1400, dropped from the house, cars and motorcycles. Needless to say I went back to USAA.

Like others have said USAA claims and services have been super. Our 25ft 1988 A/S tt has been insured with USAA since 2005 at a cost of $100 per year (comprehensive and collision). We have had a couple claims for window breakage and body repair to the rear cap which were promptly and complely covered (minus my deductable)

When I read about "agreed value policy" from the posters above I called USAA to find out what I could expect to receive if my trailer was totaled or stolen. I was told that I could only expect what it was worth as mentioned in NADA RV guides and that would be $1905 low retail or $2,285 ave retail. Well I paid $12,000 for the trailer and have put several thou into improvements. I would have been quite "angry" to have only received a NADA Guide value and was referred to "Progressive for USAA members" and have now settled on $300 per year coverage for an "agreed upon value" of $12,000. Thanks pb379 2010 and chief !!! You may have saved me $10,000 if the worst happens down the road and my trailer is totaled or stolen.
Pat Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
USAA for all our stuff as well, except the Airstream which USAA sent us to Progressive for USAA.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Progressive will insure a new unit for replacement. I opted for that when I took possession in Sept '05. I've been a long-time USAA member and asked them for a quote a couple years back. USAA RV insurance is referred to a USAA desk at Progressive.

The request for a new quote came down to continue the replacement Progressive policy (~ 45K) or start new USAA coverage (at an estimated current value of ~ 32 K). The higher value Progressive renewal rate was quite a bit less than switching to USAA for a lesser value. Not unusual considering that USAA would be a middle man and collect their costs. Do your homework... Your results may vary.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Surprise , Arizona
House, life and 5 cars. Been with Usaa for 25 years and will stay with them as long as they are in business. I have a friend that works for them and she loves it. That by itself says alot.

"Travelstar Galactica"

WBCCI #13317
AIR #25664
Member of the Four Corners Unit

The only true failure is the failure to try.
azfiredog300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:56 AM   #27
JDL
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
T , Oregon
Love USAA. Had them all my life. Never had a problem.
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:20 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Been with USAA for 43 years and couldn't agree more that it is an excellent company. Here is the eligibility criteria: https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/why_...igibility_main
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
Usaa

Have been with USAA for 40+ years. Cars, home, etc with them. Just received a quote for our new AS and they are competitive with the lowest quote of three inquiries. With the annual rebate, how can one lose?
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Usaa

We have had USAA for at least 30 years and I've found their claim service to be fair and reasonable especially since I can take the vehicle to the dealer and not required to take it to Bubba's Body shop. I've never had a household claim with them. All vehicles including the A/S are insured with them. They have the best telephone claim service and customer service of any company I have ever dealt with. My $.02
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Usaa

I have been with USAA since 1954. I bought my first car while I was a naval flight cadet at Pensacola FL. I have never had a problem with them on any of my claims. If your military I recommend them.
Regards nm1oqrz
nm1oqrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
USAA for all our stuff as well, except the Airstream which USAA sent us to Progressive for USAA.
What is the contact info for Progressive for USAA?

Thanks,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
Been with them for 28 years....

Need I say more.....
WBCCI #1122
Top of Georgia Unit #52
“I don’t want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it; I want to have lived the width of it as well.”
---Diane Ackerman (Author, poet, essayist, naturalist)
benjisgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
A USAA consideration

I've been a member of USAA since 1974. I'll make one comment here about USAA and Airstream trailers that members should be aware of.

Almost a year ago a large tree limb fell on the rear of my 2006 Safari SE at a federal campground in CA. Initially the feds said they'd take responsibility, then they told me to drop dead. So I went to USAA to file a claim. At the time I noted that trailers like mine seemed to sell for about $33,000.

USAA said there was about $16,400 in damage to my trailer. They said it was borderline totaled. By that, they meant it was worth about $22,000. They were willing to take the title and then give me $22,000. I declined their offer and they did not try to ram it down my throat.

So the big thing about insuring Airstreams with USAA, and I think most other insurance companies, is that the totaled value they place on these trailers will shock the heck out of you. If you're running around the country with an Airstream that you know would re-sell for $X, I'm here to tell you that if you wrap it around a pole, USAA is going to give you $X-Y. Or at least their starting position will be $X-Y. In my case, magically, more than $11,000 in honest, real asset value evaporated! Maybe you can point to some trades to make them up the value but I got the feeling that it would have be very hard. I'm just happy that my trailer wasn't truly destroyed. I'd have lost that $11,000. There are companies that USAA calls and says: "Hey, we've got a totaled 2006 Airstream Safari, what's your bid?" These salvage companies naturally are low bidders so, in a way, I'm not sure how much you can blame USAA.

But the bottom line that I see is that we have to realize that we are self-insuring to a degree that we likely never knew. This is why some people buy an insurance product for trailers of which I've only recently become aware. That is a replacement cost policy. It's much more expensive than a regular policy that I'm guess most USAA Airstreams owners have. But I think you have to buy it when your trailer is new and the replacement coverage expires after 5 years.
mistermcfrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I had a similar experience when my Safari was totaled by a truck with a not-so-good driver behind the wheel a few years ago. I got the pricing run-a-round as well, not USAA. I think they all operate on similar guidelines for "basic" insurance.
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Here's what Progressive says about RV coverage on their website:

"You have three options to insure your RV against a total loss:
  • Market Value — A base policy that pays the actual cash value of your RV at the time of loss.
  • Agreed Value — Pays the value of your RV that you select at the start of your policy, regardless of the current market value.
  • Total Loss Replacement Cost — Pays for replacement of your RV with the newest model if your RV is declared a total loss within its first five model years."
I'd say the stories above reflect a misunderstanding of the kind of coverage held. But the stories of under-insurance inspired me to review of my coverage before the camping season begins.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:12 PM   #37
hang up and drive

2010 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinKC View Post
Here's what Progressive says about RV coverage on their website:

"You have three options to insure your RV against a total loss:
  • Market Value — A base policy that pays the actual cash value of your RV at the time of loss.
  • Agreed Value — Pays the value of your RV that you select at the start of your policy, regardless of the current market value.
  • Total Loss Replacement Cost — Pays for replacement of your RV with the newest model if your RV is declared a total loss within its first five model years."
I'd say the stories above reflect a misunderstanding of the kind of coverage held. But the stories of under-insurance inspired me to review of my coverage before the camping season begins.
Agreed. However, I just got a quote from Progressive and they did not allow an "agreed value" policy to be quoted. Many here on the forums have written about that. I will be buying a total loss policy.

One thing's for sure: RV insurance ain't like auto insurance.
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #38
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Fort Worth , Texas
I am shopping all insurance (home,cars, AS). I currently have the AS with Progressive but Safeco offers a "stated replacement value" policy that is worth looking into. It's $50 less per year than what I'm paying with progressive. Anyone have any experience with Safeco?
ASNewbieKel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Question Time to revive an old thread...

I'm not happy with Progressive as prices keep going up even with no claims. USAA referred me back to Progressive after I switched over on my auto policy. With many insurance companies now actively using Airstreams in their advertising, has anyone found a decent replacement or stated value policy (which also covers fulltimers) that is reasonable? Has anyone received a quote from GMAC (through Camping World/Good SAM) that isn't shockingly high? Thanks for any suggestions. Philip
Old 05-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #40
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I have had USAA for 45 years. With the exception of some life insurance, they have covered all my homes, personal property, and automobiles. When I bought my Airstream I insured it with them. Six months after I took delivery I had someone scratch about 20 feet of my NEW trailer on the curbside. USAA covered all the deductible, no hassles, and the usual great service. You may find insurance for less money elsewhere, but you will never find a company that provides the level of personal attention and speed to your claim. They are -- in in overused word -- awesome!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, usaa