Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2005, 06:50 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
Unhappy Towing and Road Service

Does anyone belong to AAA or the GoodSam Club or any other club that covers towing service while on the road with a TT, and which one is the best ? I know there are a lot out there,I would like to hear it "from the horses mouth" ,Thanks
Old 10-09-2005, 08:34 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Detroit , Michigan
my insurance policy covers trailer towing
Old 10-09-2005, 09:55 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I am glad posted this item. I need to check with AAA and see what options I have now that I have the TT. I have been a member for a long time. Joined when I worked for a major computer firm and was gone months at a time. Felt better knowing that my wife could call for roadside servcice.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I recently upgraded my coverage from AAA Plus to Plus RV after we bought the 05. While the coverage seems more geared to motorhomes than travel trailers, I was told by AAA that if the TV broke down they would also tow the trailer to a safe place. I'd still like to see that in print. I believe it was only about $25 more than the Plus coverage.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
My insurance company covers towing but it does not help me get a towing company to tow me. After being stranded on a Chicago expressway for several hours, having the police drive right on by and being turned down by numerous tow companies we took out the Good Sam towing policy. They not only tow you but most important they get someone out there who is qualified and able to tow you. The cost is reasonable and the service is highly rated. I have not had to use them and hopefully never will but I never again want to relive the nightmare we went through.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
good sam ERS

We have both Good Sam and AAA rv service, we blew the motor in our old Pinnacle moho (which is how we got the airstream) and Good sam was willing to tow us to several places and their phone operators checked for rental MoHos as well. AAA has a limit on the amount for towing (I think it was $200 or 250) and were not quite as helpful
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I'm with CAA, the Canadian affiliate of AAA and so far we've found that they are one and the same when a road problem occurs. Sadly I have to say that I've had need of their services. Broke a u-joint in the mountains an hour from anywhere. They sent a flat deck for theTV and once it was loaded hooked up the trailer and headed to a shop that was capable of fixing the car. I was impressed. We have several friends who, over the many years, have had to use the same service and every one of them is impressed with the coverage. One friend had serious differential issues and they towed him three hours to a town where there was certainty of having it fixed. We have the extended coverage - can't quite remember what it is but it is pretty open as to miles they'll tow. Hauling the trailer behind the flat deck has not been a problem. Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:07 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
St. Matthews , South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Snadi Send a message via Yahoo to Snadi
I have Good Sam Emergency Roadside Service and I think it is a great deal. It is regularly $99 a year but almost always have special for $79 and it covers 1 RV and ALL of your other household vehicles, even boat trailers. It covers me, my spouse, my two children that are in college, the motorhome, 4 cars, and a boat trailer. I have not used the service with the motorhome but my son has used it twice with his car and both experiences have been very positive. If you want a testimony from someone who used it with a motorhome, check with forum member Smily. He has a good story to tell.
Member SC Coastal Unit 150 and Friend of Chuck
Snadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
We have had CAA for years and have just added rv service last month, haven't used it yet.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:59 PM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Answer from AAA

I sent a question to AAA regarding towing both my TV and TT if I had the RV+ coverage (I currently have AAA+). This is the reply I got:
On 10/9/2005 you posed a question to AAA Arizona which was noted as inquiry 10328. Response:
Your trailer should be covered, depending on the equipment available at the time would determine if both of the vehicles could be towed at the same time, normally only one would be covered.

Are they kidding? They even asked me what type of trailer I had. I told them:
I have a 25 foot 5000 lbs airstream travel trailer.

Would anyone like to see their TV hooked to a tow truck with your TT hanging on to the rear. With the WD hitch all the TV wheels would be off the ground and the TT rear bumper grinding on the road. It looks like AAA just sold me on Good Sam coverage!

Richard

Old 10-10-2005, 02:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Wow! I suspect they may have not communicated very well. In our case and the others we know who have had to use the system we've had a flat deck show up, load the TV onto the flat deck, then hook up the Airstream. Very capable drivers, seemed extremely respectful of the car and the trailer, and very accommodating for locating the "right" service shop. I may need to add Good Sam as an alternative option so that if I'm in a situation where I'm not happy with the options being offered. Thanks for the heads up.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 02:25 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
towing service

We have the Airstream "Thor" service. So far we have been very happy. We blew a tire on I 80 in PA. The repair service was prompt and helpful. We will renew again next year.

Mark
Old 10-10-2005, 03:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Azflycaster,

I'm not too pleased with the answer AAA gave you. I believe I'll press them a little further, and if their response to me is consistent with yours, I'll drop the RV coverage and give Good Sam a look. AAA has nice maps, but if they're going to leave my new AS on the side of the road, they're of limited value to me, and I'll advise them as such.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:21 PM   #14

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Our insurer of the trailer, Progressive, offers a centralized dispatch service. Service includes sending the proper sized equipement and towing of both the TV and the trailer if the TV is disabled. Cost is about $40 annually on top of the insurance.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 06:08 AM   #15
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Good Sams

79 dollars a year and total coverage with the greatest of service.
Been there, bought it, used it, will never leave home with out it.

Touch That!
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
[quote=SilverRanger]Azflycaster,

AAA has nice maps,

Good Sam has a very handy trip planner service. One feature that I really like is that they tell you what the fuel prices are for the next segment of miles; I have really saved money with that feature.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thanks, Chaplain Kent. Based on what I've learned here, I'm going to give Good Sam a serious look. Other than those purty maps, I can't think of much else to stick with AAA Plus RV. Actually, the Camp Books are handy but based on my recent experience with one of their "recommended" campgrounds in North Carolina, that opinion may be subject to change.

I swear I could "Dueling Banjos" playing in the background as I wound my way down an severely eroded cow path to my "lake front" (which turned out to be a tiny man-made, polluted pond complete with a paddle boat). When I asked if the owner if they had a AAA discount, he looked at me like I was crazy, and just laughed. When I asked about a Good Sam discount, he said "sure do!". Then he went off on a rant about how he had been there for 39 years, and because of that dang ole Ladybird Johnson, he wasn't allowed to put up any more billboards on the highway...

The camp store had bread rolls on the shelf that were 10 days out of date, and no newspapers. The owner said if I wanted to know anything specific, he had a group of old timers that came in for coffee every morning that will let me know what was going on in the world, and would swear to it.

In reality, we had a great time, and wouldn't trade that experience for anything. It was far away from any interstate highway, and was just what we were looking for.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:08 PM   #18
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Good Sam's Answer

Recently I posted AAA's answer to my question about towing my TV and my TT. I asked the same question to GS. Here is part of the reply.

"Please also note that yes we cover towing both vehicles. We would tow the 5th wheel, RV, etc to the nearest campground or safe location and we would tow the car, truck, etc to the nearest service center."

Enough said!

Richard

Old 10-11-2005, 07:15 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
I checked my auto policy and it will refund the first $50 of tow bill and thats it,Good Sam is the better one so far,I called them and they are sending more info via snail mail,I am looking forward to it, Has anyone ever had to get a tow with the TT hooked to TV ????
Old 10-11-2005, 08:13 PM   #20
Put a bird on it!

1976 Argosy 20
SANTA BARBARA , California
Thumbs down AAA Towed me, lots of times!

I have AAA Premium with RV/Motorcycle coverage. I believe that means that I get four, $300 tows for my Airstream per year. It is pretty tricky because some AAA places don't have the big trucks available and they charge you door to door by the hour. One time I had to have the trailer towed 38 miles. AAA charged me for 3 1/2 hours at about $100 per hour! And, the driver took his sweet time hooking up and delivering! So, there went my $300 tow and then some! I have used all four this year. Here's a pic of my car and trailer being towed together. It was pretty funny!

I would recommend looking elsewhere.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tow airstream.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	15167
SilverSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote