Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2006, 09:31 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
tire changes

In 2000 we had Good Sam ERS and had 2 flats on driver side of our 38 ft 5th wheel in western OK. It took 2 hours for the service truck to arrive from over 50 miles away. When he got there he had 2 tires of the proper size with him . he changed one of the tires and put on our spare. the only charge was for the tire we purchased. He put the other bad tire on the spare rack for us. mid July and very hot. service man was very nice. In oct of 2000 we had a flat in east TX. and it was late afternoon. bad cell reception and hard to reach ERS. After several attempts we were asked if we were in a safe area for the night and that the service shop was closed for the night. We were at the entrance to a state park so we eased into a campsite. The next morning I called ERS to let them know our location and within 45 minutes a service truck was there. He had brought 2 tires of the proper size. He fixed 1 tire and replaced the other. the only cost was the new tire. Again the service man was very nice. Those 2 service calls sure were worth more than what we had paid.

This year when we started our trip to see our son in AR. I made sure that Good Sam ERS was in place. even tho we had all new tires and felt that we should have no problems , the assurance that we had someome to help if we had a problem was worth more than the cost.

I hope we never need the towing and really hope we never need to use the ERS. It brings peace of mind.

Kay and Roy
carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:26 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Good Sam's Std vs Platinum Service

I am looking to purchase Good Sam's ERS and was wondering if the platinum svc was worth the additional dollars?

Thanks
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We went with Allstate. Seems to have better coverage than the others and with their APP on my IPhone Know exactly where I'm at.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I for got about Allstate. I went to the web site. I noticed the cost was similar to Good sam's platinum however I could not tell from the site if they towed both the TV and TT if the TV broke down. Do you know if they do?

Thanks
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:33 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Matawan , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by scf31 View Post
Does anyone belong to AAA or the GoodSam Club or any other club that covers towing service while on the road with a TT, and which one is the best ? I know there are a lot out there,I would like to hear it "from the horses mouth" ,Thanks
Having looked at AAA and and several insurance underwriters and Good Sam, and having done liability insurance placement for ship owners and risk management for a goodly number of years (the theory is the same), I do not see any reason to place TT road side assistance with AAA, but I would not say not to have it for your cars. To obtain travel liability for someone (third party) suffering a TT related injury relating to your TT while you are traveling, I would recommend that you insure your TT for a few hundred dollars with an insurance underwriter (we have Progressive for under $400 which gives us $100,000 in liability protection among other benefits); however, for pure roadside assistance Good Sam appears to be hands down the best which I have had confirmed by every long time RV'er to whom I have spoken.

While we are new to this my research was pretty thorough and I hope this helps.

2007 23' Safari SE Lounge (IdaJune)
'05 Toyota 4Runner LE 4.7 V8 4WD w/ tow package
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
Tin Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:39 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Matawan , New Jersey
AAA will tow a TT if you get the TT rider and if that AAA Club in which you are located when you need the tow offers TT towing according to AAA when we looked into it. The cost in the NJ AAA Club for the TT towing rider was $30 per year.

2007 23' Safari SE Lounge (IdaJune)
'05 Toyota 4Runner LE 4.7 V8 4WD w/ tow package
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
Tin Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote