Old 10-11-2005, 07:08 AM   #15
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Good Sams

79 dollars a year and total coverage with the greatest of service.
Been there, bought it, used it, will never leave home with out it.

Touch That!

Old 10-11-2005, 10:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
[quote=SilverRanger]Azflycaster,

AAA has nice maps,

Good Sam has a very handy trip planner service. One feature that I really like is that they tell you what the fuel prices are for the next segment of miles; I have really saved money with that feature.

Old 10-11-2005, 07:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thanks, Chaplain Kent. Based on what I've learned here, I'm going to give Good Sam a serious look. Other than those purty maps, I can't think of much else to stick with AAA Plus RV. Actually, the Camp Books are handy but based on my recent experience with one of their "recommended" campgrounds in North Carolina, that opinion may be subject to change.

I swear I could "Dueling Banjos" playing in the background as I wound my way down an severely eroded cow path to my "lake front" (which turned out to be a tiny man-made, polluted pond complete with a paddle boat). When I asked if the owner if they had a AAA discount, he looked at me like I was crazy, and just laughed. When I asked about a Good Sam discount, he said "sure do!". Then he went off on a rant about how he had been there for 39 years, and because of that dang ole Ladybird Johnson, he wasn't allowed to put up any more billboards on the highway...

The camp store had bread rolls on the shelf that were 10 days out of date, and no newspapers. The owner said if I wanted to know anything specific, he had a group of old timers that came in for coffee every morning that will let me know what was going on in the world, and would swear to it.

In reality, we had a great time, and wouldn't trade that experience for anything. It was far away from any interstate highway, and was just what we were looking for.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:08 PM   #18
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Good Sam's Answer

Recently I posted AAA's answer to my question about towing my TV and my TT. I asked the same question to GS. Here is part of the reply.

"Please also note that yes we cover towing both vehicles. We would tow the 5th wheel, RV, etc to the nearest campground or safe location and we would tow the car, truck, etc to the nearest service center."

Enough said!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:15 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
I checked my auto policy and it will refund the first $50 of tow bill and thats it,Good Sam is the better one so far,I called them and they are sending more info via snail mail,I am looking forward to it, Has anyone ever had to get a tow with the TT hooked to TV ????
Old 10-11-2005, 09:13 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
SANTA BARBARA , California
Thumbs down AAA Towed me, lots of times!

I have AAA Premium with RV/Motorcycle coverage. I believe that means that I get four, $300 tows for my Airstream per year. It is pretty tricky because some AAA places don't have the big trucks available and they charge you door to door by the hour. One time I had to have the trailer towed 38 miles. AAA charged me for 3 1/2 hours at about $100 per hour! And, the driver took his sweet time hooking up and delivering! So, there went my $300 tow and then some! I have used all four this year. Here's a pic of my car and trailer being towed together. It was pretty funny!

I would recommend looking elsewhere.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tow airstream.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	15167
Old 10-12-2005, 05:10 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
SilverSurfer

Thats what I'm lookin for,I am leaning toward Good Sam,Thanks
Old 10-18-2005, 06:17 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I sent a question to AAA regarding towing both my TV and TT if I had the RV+ coverage (I currently have AAA+). This is the reply I got:
On 10/9/2005 you posed a question to AAA Arizona which was noted as inquiry 10328. Response:
Your trailer should be covered, depending on the equipment available at the time would determine if both of the vehicles could be towed at the same time, normally only one would be covered.

What's the secret in getting AAA to respond at all? I registered online with the AAA Mid-Atlanctic branch, where I have been a member for over five years, and e-mailed them twice over the past six days with the same question about towing. I also sent them a message asking if they intended to respond. Their only acknowledgement(s) was the automatic message stating that they would answer my question as soon as possible. They've just sold me on Good Sam coverage. I like the fact that Good Sam covers the entire family and all vehicles at about half the price of a AAA single membership. Thanks for your input, it really helped with my decision.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:53 AM   #23

1998 31' Limited
2000 19' Bambi
Pinole , California
I recently had my tow vehicle break down while towing my 31' Limited. My Farmers Insurance Tow plan covered $125 of the tow. The service was great. They sent out the proper truck, hooked up to my Ford F-350, disconnected the drive shaft, and towed my truck with the trailer still connected, to my home that was 50-miles away. I had to pay an additional $115. Subsequently, I signed up with Good Sam towing.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:53 PM   #24

1976 20' Argosy 20
Currently Looking...
Royalton , Illinois
We had just bought Good Sam Insurance for $79.00. On our first interstate trip towing a dingy, we broke down on Labor Day this year on interstate outside of Effingham. First tow said it was not our battery and he was not big enough to handle our rig (36' motorhome). Second tow came, disconnected drive shaft and towed us back to a garage. All this was done within an hour. Garage replaced alternater and we were off the next morning. All we had to do was sign for tow and pay for the alternator and labor. Good Sam rep said we would be covered on overnight stay if necessary, but this trip was our choice so we paid. Unit would have been ready same night, but it was a little overwhelming for us (first time) so we chose to stay over and regroup. We have received a request to renew our insurance again for next year (sort of early) but we definitely plan on doing so!! We can actually say it was an enjoyable trip, thanks to Good Sam.

Barb
Old 10-18-2005, 01:58 PM   #25

1976 20' Argosy 20
Currently Looking...
Royalton , Illinois
Just looked at my previous post. Since I am new to this, did I do something wrong? Why does it say "warning o%" and have those little boxes next to it?

Barb
Old 10-18-2005, 04:35 PM   #26
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Warn (0%)

Daisy,
It is part of the new software, it is not used at this time. I did a thread on it a short time ago.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...hlight=warning

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 05:03 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

I have coverage not yet mentioned. I have "RV Roadhelp" issued by Allstate. It's great. It covers all of my vehicles, especially the trailer. They will sent out two trucks to tow both the TV and trailer if needed. They offer trip interuption coverage, that covers meals, hotels, etc.. if your "unit" is unavailable for use. It also covers flats, dead batteries, etc... They also offer a trip planning service. Cost $89 a year.

Robert Louis Stevenson
LowellN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:12 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
At last, an answer from AAA...

After nearly two weeks and several unanswered messages that I posed on the AAA website, I tried a different tactic. I responded to whoever sent the generic automated message thanking me for registering at their site, by asking the question; " What's the purpose of having a question/answer feature on your website if you are going to ignore the questions?"

Apparently, the e-mail reached a real person who researched my original question and asked me to call her to discuss the issue. I responded that I would rather correspond by e-mail (so there would be a written record). What follows is the answer from AAA Mid-Atlantic:

"I would like to let you know that I contacted two of our supervisors in our membership department s well as the manager of our dispatch center to get the most acurate response to your question.

If you were driving your vehicle and pulling your trailer and your personal vehicle broke down and needed a tow, this would be covered by your AAA membership. We would have to send out two different trucks because none of the vehicles in our fleet have the capability of towing two vehicles at the same time, therefore, this would count as two service calls. If something would happen to the travel trailer itself, i. e. ... a flat tire, if you have a spare tire we could put that on for you or tow the trailer under the Plus RV membership.

I hope this answers your question and clears up the confusion. If you have any other questions feel free to e-mail me anytime.

Sincerely, ... "

The fact that I didn't state the actual question in my e-mail to her indicated my questions were a matter of record, but were not being answered. It's hard to believe that this was the first time this has been asked.

After all that, I still intend to go with Good Sam ERS. I have a good mapping program with GPS on my laptop to substitute for those nice AAA maps.