Old 01-16-2016, 11:53 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
I do have insurance but it is for total loss only. I have it insured for about what I figure I have in it and am not trying to put some imaginary value on it on what I think I might be able to sell it for. I have a separate umbrella policy for liability which covers me for liability related incidents involving vehicles I own, incidents / injuries on land I own, and if my trailer somehow rolls off on its own and hurts someone (which has probably happened sometime somewhere and sometime in the history of trailers but I don't know). My insurance is about $120 / year for the trailer but I have no idea if this will change in 2016. I have a little cargo trailer that is not insured. I will say this - having lived in Houston, TX for 20 years and seeing the destruction flooding can cause I've always carried flood insurance even though I've never lived in a flood zone. My flood insurance in Colorado where I now live has gone from $180 to $360 and I expect it to keep going up but it is still the cheapest insurance you can buy!

Old 01-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Little Rock , Arkansas
Have you tried AAA?

I almost went with them. They were very reasonable--more so than State Farm which I stayed with.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:01 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Edmond , Oklahoma
CJ, Have you checked with Hartford?

I have a 2015 INTL Serenity AS. Both my cars and trailer are on the same policy.
I have used them since 2005. My insurance is $115. Hartford has my house too.

Jan 2006 I cut a corner to sharp and scraped the lower 24" of the side of my TT Jayco from front corner to the front of the back wheel. I called them, and took it to the local Jayco dealer.
The agent came out on Tuesday the next day. Thursday 2 days later I received a check for $4700, and I paid the $500 deductible. I have never seen a Ins company that acted the fast. It is worth a call.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:13 PM   #18
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Progressive insured a driver who backed into our trailer. Managed our claim so well we considered them first a few years later when shopping for coverage.

We have stated value coverage on our 2005 25'. We added comp and liability coverage, not covered in our older policy. If you have a homeowners policy your liabilities might be covered already. Since we're full timers we lacked that protection against claims of damage from or by our RV (when it's not hi had to the tow vee.) Big thanks to Hunter for pointing this out to us in '09 at the Full-Timing seminar in Madison.

As soon as we confirmed her info, we changed coverage. And had to change insurers since Allstate couldn't then offer the desid coverages for a full-timer (without the homeowners policy already.). Progressive and FCIS both do this well, we're told.

Our stated value plus liability coverage runs approx $600.

Dreamstreamr
2005 International CCD 25SS
Http://Dreamstreamr.com

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:16 PM   #19
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have had good luck with Progressive for an agreed value policy. I was with Geico which also was good but they have limits as to agreed value.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:23 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Boyscout View Post
CJ, Have you checked with Hartford?

I have a 2015 INTL Serenity AS. Both my cars and trailer are on the same policy.
I have used them since 2005. My insurance is $115. Hartford has my house too.

Jan 2006 I cut a corner to sharp and scraped the lower 24" of the side of my TT Jayco from front corner to the front of the back wheel. I called them, and took it to the local Jayco dealer.
The agent came out on Tuesday the next day. Thursday 2 days later I received a check for $4700, and I paid the $500 deductible. I have never seen a Ins company that acted the fast. It is worth a call.
It may help to have all your insurance business with one company. We use USAA for everything and get great service and rates. They partner with Progressive for our AS insurance policy and my Harley insurance because they do not offer either directly. Like Boyscout I had a "minor" (2 mph practicing turning) incident the first week I owned my AS. The repair cost was $10,000 less a $1,000 deductible. It was a potent lesson on the cost of aluminum panels and repairs! Progressive responded the same day and repairs were authorized in time for a scheduled trip that had considerably prepaid expenses (Nova Scotia-Newfoundland ferry). I was very impressed with the service of Progressive. It is a topic for another thread about the poor service from the AS dealer who did the repairs.

Like others said earlier, I use insurance for catastrophic losses only and pay less as a result of selecting high deductibles. The paperwork, time, and premium increases are not worth every claim. If there is any chance of personal injury the equation changes and immediate reporting is wise.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:41 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Dallas Center , Iowa
My guess

It sounds like you may have had unrealistic/underinsured rates in the past that were so low that it feels like $500+ is high. Imo they are reasonable at $500. What feels wrong is the low rates you were used to. Progressive has been a good option in the past, check with them.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:42 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
In NC your TV collision insurance extends to the trailer as long as the trailer is connected to the TV. If you don't have trailer insurance, you are out of luck if there is a claim.

If you have a$25000 trailer and you're paying $500.00 per year for insurance it'll take the company 40 years to be paid for the assumed risk.
Not that I'm defending them I am not. Just doing the numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:08 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Dallas Center , Iowa
Question USAA question

Having heard great things about USAA, I tried to do business with them to only be denied because they are "military affiliated exclusive". If my military Dad (WWII) would have done business with them before he died then our family members would have been eligible but he did not do business with them so we are the unclean. Can anyone share their understanding of this issue?
Old 01-17-2016, 12:06 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
USAA started out as "military officers only". It is a mutual company, essentially owned by its members who elect a board and corporate officers.

Later, they allowed all ranks to join. The charter that established the company restricts it to military personnel, their dependents and immediate family. It is a pool of drivers/homeowners of comparatively low risk.

I have been with them since I was commissioned in 1991 and they are an excellent company.

I can't imagine they will ever privatize like GEICO did (it was the Government Employees Insurance Company) but you never know. As it is, there is a huge pool of potential members and more each day so there is no real pressure to do so.

Mike
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:26 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Classic
Moutain Center , California
I can't believe how ridiculous this is! Hartford won't even give me a quote unless I change my auto insurance to them. *We've been with Wawanesa for 30 years. Progressive asks what the value of my vehicle is, then won't give me a quote because I'm valuing it higher than NADA. I went to Geico's website and they wanted to know alot of personal information and when I asked my husband, he said "forget them, they don't need to know all that!"

I spend time on this everyday and still don't have a solution! With a total loss I can't get enough coverage to replace the rig, I would not be comfortable without insurance for damage (due to hail storm, or running into something) since repair on an A/S is very expensive, I've heard horror stories about repair costs and wouldn't want to be out of pocket for that. In the mean time, our rig is parked with no insurance coverage. Allied came close to what I would want, but when I found out they won't cover glass or awning - I didn't want that! One person said that wasn't excluded on his policy so maybe that is something new with them?
Old 01-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
What it will cost you to replace the trailer does not matter; the NADA value is the best you can hope for in a 10+ year old trailer. That is simply the way it works, whatever your premium payment is. I think you have unrealistic expectations. Take what you can get or go uninsured. The insurance industry is ALWAYS going to come out ahead.
As for USAA, they are not what they used to be and not nearly as competitive in any line of insurance. For RV's, they don't even underwrite, they push you off to Progressive. I have been with them for 46 years and I think that is the only reason I am still with them. My auto insurance premiums are now equal to 2 other companies, my home hasn't been with them for years, my Umbrella is with RLI, and my RV is with Nationwide.
Larry
Old 01-18-2016, 11:14 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Winch View Post
I don't know why Allied will not cover awnings or glass, maybe that is something new, but I did confirm it with my agent. I called Nationwide and they will not do agreed value unless the vehicle was purchased within the last 13 months. 13.5 months in my case, but they will not make an exception. Nationwide will only do low NADA, which, again is only $13,800. Starting tomorrow we are uninsured. I have no idea what to do.
I shopped around for AGREED VALUE insurance in Georgia, and since my certified appraiser's evaluation was current, only one year old, Nationwide insured me for the AGREED VALUE, which I could live with. The downside is the $250-300 cost for an appraisal, well done with photos, comps etc, but once you have it, if you stay with the same insurance company, they only need an update about every five years.

If it doesn't say AGREED VALUE the insurance company will weasel out of paying much more than the scrap aluminum value on a total loss, and total the AS with very modest damage since repairs run into the thousands in a heart beat. Make sure that the certified appraiser you find does enough Airstreams that he or she knows what they are working with.

dcasr

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:52 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I messed around with insurance for a long, frustrating time until someone on another thread recommended agent Ron Jarvie, Overland Insurance Services, 480-994-9584. He got me an agreed value policy with Progressive. My bill of sale (purchase) was more than 12 months old.