Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Thumbs Up for State Farm

I month or so I did a dumb thing. As I was pulling into my driveway the cell phone rang. I got distracted and sideswiped the gate post causing scrapes and creases road side to both side sgments. The damage was superficial, not affecting the ribs, but significant enough that a complete repair would involve taking out the windows and replacing both side panels.

I knew this would not be cheap. Holiday RV of Albuquerque did an estimate of $10,600.

There was some initial confusion with State Farm about my coverage. I initially asked for an agreed value policy. Then checking on my coverage was told it was not an agreed value policy but based on a new AS price for 71. But I did put in a claim.

I also had Jim Polk do an appraisal this spring. I don't think I would have done nearly as well without it.

Bottom line is State Farm totalled the trailer and made me an offer that was more than fair. I still kick my self the @#$ everytime I walk around the trailer, but the blow is almost sweet with the settlement.

The trailer is perfectly usable, and I will buy the trailer back with a salvage title and shall continue to use it while I figure out what to do with the roadside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00152.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	311.6 KB
ID:	194492  
Old 08-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I had a great experience with State Farm when I totaled both my tow vehicle and trailer at the same time. SF paid full value on both vehicles, less the deductibles. Neither of the vehicles were roadworthy after the wreck, so I did not pursue buying them back.

The down side was the rate increase after the wreck. Annual premiums increased by more than double. I was able to change insurance companies to get a lower rate and keep the same exact coverages.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
The down side was the rate increase after the wreck.
I asked before filing a claim. I was assured for a claim on a travel trailer there would be no premium surcharge. No damage or claim on tow vehicle.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Same here. Appreciate the coverage we get from our local Sate Farm owner. Have done business with them for most of 25 years.
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I also have had good results with State Farm. Over the last 35 years I have had one Airstream have a tree fall on it (in Dawson City, Yukon) which they paid for in full, and another that was scratched and slightly damaged as the Original Poster's was. But the scratches and metal damage repair cost exceeded the value of the rig, and again, State Farm paid me the retail price of a similar used trailer, and sold the trailer back to me for $1500. I ultimately sold it for almost $4000 with the scratches and minor metal damage still in place. So, hats off to State Farm, at least in my two experiences.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #6
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Yup, that's about a $5-6K swipe! They would have to replace the whole bottom panel.

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Love State Farm.

Have had them for decades.

Maggie
Old 08-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I have always had State Farm.

I do pay them what seems like a lot, BUT they have always paid quickly and more than fairly.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We have always had State Farm on our cars and home, but they refused to do an 'agreed value' policy on the vintage trailer, and would not disclose how they would determine the value of it if an accident happened. We went with progressive, who did a policy based on an appraisal. Hopefully we never need to use it, but I felt better than just paying SF money and seeing what happened later. I was pretty disappointed they weren't more cooperative about the whole thing considering the history we have with them.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Years ago I had a guy run a stop sign and I hit him with my 56 T Bird. He got a ticket and his insurance company paid to fix my car. State Farm refused to renew my policy because of the accident. A friend of mine runs a body shop, he says State Farm is one of the hardest insurance companies to deal with. They always want to put Chinese parts on the cars instead of OEM parts. I will never do business with State Farm.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick View Post
Yup, that's about a $5-6K swipe! They would have to replace the whole bottom panel.
I got the top panel too
Old 09-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Most of the Big companies will not do an Agreed value policy. Stated value is *not* the same thing. ACV is what most policies offer.
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:19 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
We have always had State Farm on our cars and home, but they refused to do an 'agreed value' policy on the vintage trailer, and would not disclose how they would determine the value of it if an accident happened. We went with progressive, who did a policy based on an appraisal. Hopefully we never need to use it, but I felt better than just paying SF money and seeing what happened later. I was pretty disappointed they weren't more cooperative about the whole thing considering the history we have with them.
That was exactly our issue with State Farm too - we had everything we own insured there for ages and we thought we had an "agreed value" policy with them for our 1992 Sovereign but when we went to insure our second Airstream my husband discovered that the Sovereign was insured for way less than the value after we'd renovated it...it was an okay value until about midway through the renovation and then it ended up being about $10k short on what it would have cost us to replace our trailer as it was. We ended up going to Good Sam for the two Airstreams and the tow vehicle (you have to have your tow vehicle with Good Sam in order to get the trailer insurance apparently) - it actually ended up being less $$ for more coverage... we still have everything else with State Farm tho... no issues with them other than that one.

https://www.facebook.com/starlettediary
Suzzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I had the same confusion about the agreed value policy with State Farm. In the end, State farm made me an offer of over $15K for my damages. I really think having a professional appraisal in hand made the difference.

Also I had the repair estimate done by the only Airstream dealer in NM, Holiday in Albuquerque. They did the estimate from photos I sent them. Then State Farm was supposed to send out an adjuster. There was no adjuster in my area so I sent State Farm more photos.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:12 AM   #15
Link’s Travels

2002 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
1999 35' XL 350 w/slide
LINCOLN , Nebraska
State Farm

Hope you State Farm boys understand you have more than paid for all your claims with your vastly increased rates. They are so far out of the ball park that it is ridiculous!!!
MissingLink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:48 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
fort lauderdale , Florida
My brother and I have been with State Farm for close to 30 years. My parents even longer.

My brother recently had 2 different accidents within a month. One he was T-boned at a slow speed and the other, he was rear ended.
Neither his fault.
State farm informed they would not renew his policy. He added up how much he has paid State Farm in 30 years with home, multiple cars and boats . His number was close to 400,000 dollars. His claims in that same amount of time, 25,000. RIDICULOUS!!

Also, I live in South Florida and after the hurricanes of 2005, State farm paid out millions. So what do they do, they pull all home coverage out of Florida. Heaven forbid they do what they are paid to do!
I"m looking at Mercury insurance and going to dump State Farm, not that I've had major problems, but more out of principle.

Insurance is LEGAL ROBBERY!

Stepping off my soap box now
ehodg66 is offline   Reply With Quote