Old 05-16-2016, 10:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Tell your insurance about it, and get it fixed, no big deal, that is what insurance is for, I have used mine and rates didn't go up.....

Old 05-16-2016, 11:10 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Should I claim through insurance

This is a pretty easy problem to solve. Take it to a dealer. Have them look at it so they can give you a quote to repair it. You will then have the following advantages over your current situation:

1. You know how hard your insurance will get dinged.

2. You'll know what the repair will cost in relation to your deductible. So you'll know if it's worth it or not for you personally.

3. You'll know if your adjuster is giving you a fair assessment from day one.

4. You'll prevent the dealer from taking your Insuance company for a ride and further dinging you because they will think the repair is out of your pocket not the insurance companies. 99% of shops charge a different price for insurance companies vs. every day joes. I know because I've been on both sides of the ball on this one.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Should I claim through insurance

I think the dent in the trailer itself will come near out near unnoticeable if done correctly, the stone guard will show some marks, but could look "not bad" if worked at patiently...

I think I would talk to one of those paintless dent repair persons and maybe save the insurance claim and the deductible.

The advantage in this approach would not only make economic sense, but it would save the need of replacing a panel.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:31 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
Why have insurance if you are afraid to use it??

That's an important question.

The OP expressed concern over whether filing the claim would increase premium (it well might). So there's a bit of a cost/benefit analysis to be done.

On extreme ends of the spectrum, some use their insurance like a "maintenance" plan (ding here, nick there - file a claim every time). Do enough of that over time and premiums will rise to catch up with (or exceed) costs over a lifetime. Others use it for more "catastrophic" protection while self-funding more minor repairs, keeping premiums down over the long haul.

There's not a right or wrong way to go about it - just different costs and benefits which will appeal differently to each individual.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:54 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Over the last decade or so, it has been clear to me that insurance is for near catastrophic events, not claims. While I have not made a claim on my Airstream insurance company, both my homeowners and auto companies have quiet policies regarding claims. Too many and your rates increase enough to force you away or they just cancel you, period. My previous homeowner's company had an unwritten policy of 3 claims and you are out.
Like many others, I self-insure to some extent by saving annually with high deductibles. I probably would not even consider a claim unless it was at least twice my deductible.
Larry
Old 05-17-2016, 06:59 AM   #20
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
The dent to the shell looks like the perfect candidate for a hot glue dent pill.
the stainless wrap maybe as well.
I.would research this method before an invasive repair and shelling out of your deductable.
You most assuredly will collect more dents in the future and it might be a handy skill to have.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:49 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
South Western Ontario , Ontario
Take it to Can-Am Airstream dealer in London. They have the expertise to advise you on proper repairs or "dent removal" experiences to let you know what the cost and results may be before making a decision on a claim. They have knowledge of insurance companies policies and rates. Insurance companies in Ontario can be pushy and try to force you into a repair or shop you may not be happy with. Call Can-Am first.

I got a recommendation from them before switching insurance companies to one that would protect the rising value of used Airstreams here in Ontario. My regular company would only go ACV or Actual Cash Value which does not mean they will pay 100% to replace in today's market. This is a big problem with fluctuating Canadian versus US dollars and the cost of a used replacement.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:56 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Call your insurance company and ask what your options are and if your premiums would increase due to a claim. Then you can make an informed decision.

I suspect that damage is worth a claim though regardless.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Langton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPPPIN View Post
Take it to Can-Am Airstream dealer in London. They have the expertise to advise you on proper repairs or "dent removal" experiences to let you know what the cost and results may be before making a decision on a claim. They have knowledge of insurance companies policies and rates. Insurance companies in Ontario can be pushy and try to force you into a repair or shop you may not be happy with. Call Can-Am first.

I got a recommendation from them before switching insurance companies to one that would protect the rising value of used Airstreams here in Ontario. My regular company would only go ACV or Actual Cash Value which does not mean they will pay 100% to replace in today's market. This is a big problem with fluctuating Canadian versus US dollars and the cost of a used replacement.

I called them first thing Monday morning. They're going to get back to me with a price to replace the panel and stone guard. They did not mention dent removal.
I'm leaning towards the paintless dent removal.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:09 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
South Western Ontario , Ontario
I have lots of experience using paintless dent removal after owning a large fleet of rental cars for many years. There are few good paintless dent removal people in Ontario. Seldom is the repair 100% perfect. Can-Am may have tried them also and can advise you on their experience. Alum is not steel and will not produce the same result. Alum is soft and with the shiny surface is a bad candidate for this repair because the reflection shows damage more. If you are after a like new repair, replacement may be the best option.That said you could try dent removal and if you don't like the result replace the panel if you are not going through insurance as they may refuse after the dent repair attempt.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:22 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
The most expensive insurance you can buy is the policy that either will not repair your injury... or the one that you will not make a claim on.
In both cases, you've simply thrown money down the toilet.

If (with regard to the damage you've suffered) you're thinking you'd rather keep the policy you have rather than suffer an increased premium on the renewal....then you're inadvertently carrying a too-small deductible. By not making the claim... you've decided on a higher deductible already...but not told the insurance company about it ...and they're charging you a higher premium than you should be paying. Think about that.

So... they want to raise your rates because you made a claim? Then tell them you won't be doing business with them in the future. That's a two-way street.

Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote