Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2003, 12:52 AM   #1
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
RV Insurance

I would like to know if anyone has information on insurance for FULL-TIMING. In other words, NOT for full-timing when you have a "Garaged-Address" (back home somewhere---where you keep all your furniture, etc...and have that insured too.

NO...what I'm talking about, is when you "downsize" and do NOT have a 'garaged address" anymore....and are in your Airstream 24/7---24/365. Good Sam requires the 'garaged address'...and so does the insurance company I have had for 25 years (one of "The Big 3"...but, my company requires the 'g.a." too.

I've been told there is one called "Foremost". Does anyone have any knowledge in this area.

On a light note of this subject, I just wanted to share this. I've just 'coined' a phrase about insurance...

WHEN YOU HAVE IT...YOU DON'T NEED IT...
WHEN YOU NEED IT...YOU DON'T HAVE IT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gotrvinsurance.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	3910  
Old 11-24-2003, 08:22 AM   #2
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Cat,

Timely topic .. as we are shopping for "fulltimers" insurance.

I got my best quote from RV Alliance.

You can also check with Foremost, Miller's, Explorer RV and Progressive.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 10:05 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

I found some great rates with Foremost and they have excellent coverage.
joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 04:02 PM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I just got my quote for the new Classic from Progressive and from Foremost. For same coverage it looks like Progressive is about $200 less than Foremost. One interesting aspect is the replacement coverage option. Both Foremost and Progressive will replace your trailer in the first 5 years with the same equipment. On years 6-10 Foremost will pay you up to the original cost of your trailer, after year 10 you are subject to the depreciation factors. Progressive has no such time limit and will continue to pay up to your original cost of the trailer from year 6 on. They also have a disappearing deductable so say you have a $1,000 deductible on comprehensive and collision. Each year you go without a claim they drop the deductable amount without increasing the price. At the end of 4 years with no claims you are at $0 deductable.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 10:21 PM   #5
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Insurance Comps

Thank you so much for sharing those comps...Jack.
That is an incredible difference between those two.
What state are you in? Does that matter?
Old 12-04-2003, 08:30 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Cat, I'm live Missouri. Yes state and city you live in have a bearing on the cost.

I decided to do a third comparison and called the Good Sam's insurance offered by GM. Their cost was $1,200 more than Progressive.

I'm pretty sure I'm going with Progressive. I currently have the trailer insured through AIG which is my auto insurance carrier. The problem was when I picked up the trailer on the Friday after Thanksgiving I couldn't get a hold of many companies due to the holiday. My cost with AIG is the same as Progressive but that coverage has no replacement cost provisions or road service or the disappearing deductible.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 10:39 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
I have seen many discussions of RV insurance somewhere and I think probably many of them here. Not sure if I have ever read about fulltime/with no home base coverage or not. Nteresting topic. Maybe you should retitle this thread as "Fulltimer RV Insurance".

I have a home base and am no fulltimer. Just insured with StateFarm for 6 months with low deductables. Cost was 102.00 for replacement value of 6500.00. They asked me what I paid for trailer and I didnt answer, but I told them I thought the current value to me was 6500. Apparently no blue book on a 31'/73 model. Havent recieved the policy yet so really dont know what I bought. I did add $14 rider that covers 2000 dollars of awning (and outside accessory) damage. My fear is that they will not let me appreciate the value as I renovate and have more and more and more invested.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 03:52 PM   #8
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
New Thread

DONE

Good suggestion DD...
we actually need to make this specific.
I don't think your fears are justified tho' DD. I've been with State Farm for 27 years...and my experience with them (with vintage cars, antiques, and collector's items (of which I've own many)...is that all they want is PICTURES &/or RECEIPTS.

3 years ago, I even owned a silly little 1986 Honda Civic HB. I totalled it...and the HIGH Kelly Book (was 1,500.00)...but b/c of all the aftermarket addys and frills (like removable face Alpine CD/FM) and Clifford "Proximity" Alarm, "knock off rims" on Alloy Wheels (with locks), 1500 cc engine...full SI package...all added, I picked up a checque from them in the amount of $4,400.00!!! No questions asked (because the photos were in the file).

I sold a 69 VW Bug convertiblle show car (first place 3 years running in California). During the 7 years I owned it...until 1992...it was insured for $12,000. Again, no questions asked b/c the file was full of receipts and photos.
Of course, you pay for the extra coverage...but they will do it.

New thread entitled "Fulltimers RV Insurance" Again, thanx DD...
Old 12-04-2003, 03:56 PM   #9
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
One Thread 2 Many?

Drummer Boy>>>*Does anyone else ever call you that? Sorry if you don't care for it.*..
I just wanted to add...that I just discovered I started this thread...I had forgotten.

Oh well... They sure can be 2 different subject-matters. I didn't remember...and even if I had, I wouldn't have thought to ask if you can re-titled a thread once it's in full swing. ? Webmasters?
Old 12-05-2003, 12:04 PM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Just got off the phone with State Farm. I was looking to make sure I got the new coach insurance before I go down to pick it up.

The '04 Safari SS will cost me $447.00 w/ a $500 deductable.

The '03 Bambi with a $250 deductable cost me $373.00.

These are both annual rates and do not have the same replacement benifits some of the Progressives, etc have.

This rate is if I full time in it or not.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 01:16 AM   #11
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Coverage

Eric,

Ok...I need some interpreting .... I'm having a "blonde moment".
When you say: >>This rate is if I full time in it or not.<< aren't you talking about the coach itself...but, HOW MUCH ARE YOUR CONTENTS COVERED FOR?
i.e.,
I found that fulltiming you get only 10% of the value of the whole rig; i.e., a coach value of $20,000, you'd get $2,000 in contents covered.
When I was told this, I squeeked..."my computer and audio/visual equipment are worth that much alone!...what about my clothing, kitchen equipment, linens, cameras, etc.?"...and they said,
"well, if you have a "garaged address" those items would be covered under that 'umbrella'. " The 'garaged address' you can have any amount you want to pay for (so much money per $10,000 worth of 'contents'.)
BUT, WITHOUT a 'garaged address"...that means all you have is in your coach...OR, you have some things in a storage locker somewhere. AND
I found that if you have items stored in a storage facility, the insurance there maxes out at something like $10,000---and it's very expensive.
To me, this is all very discriminating AGAINST those who sell off everything and 'hit the road'.

I haven't yet looked into what Foremost &/or Progressive quote for their rates for these variances. All I know is that State Farm will NOT cover much for me to 'hit the road'. & I've been with them 27 years. (Got to call my agent again---I've forgotten almost all he's told me.)
Old 03-02-2004, 07:02 AM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well, I do have an address so that might be the deal breaker.....

Just got off the phone with Foremost, and althought they do have the neat 1-5 year replacement and 6-9 cost of the coach, compared with my current insurance company, they were $230 more per year. I may call Progressive, but I have a feeing that the rates they quote would be higher too since I've been with my current company for about 10 years now.......
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 12:43 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Progressive gave us the best quote.

I tried five or six companies before selecting Progressive. They were at least $300 cheaper than the other quotes.
myrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:57 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
I was wondering if anyone knows why the old Caravanner Insurance Company which I think was owned by Airstream quit insuring. If it had been profitable seems they would have sold out or continued. But as far as I can tell they went belly-up.

The trick is an accepted appraisal. Not sure if those are available.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote