Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2004, 08:08 PM   #81
3 Rivet Member

vancouver , Washington
I was glad to read that you are getting whole again after your trying experience. I did want to post that your episode didn’t go without impact on our approach to Airstream security.
First there is the security cable thru the Hensley hitch and the trailer A frame.

Second the Pit Bull wheel lock around the lead road side wheel. It’s on upside down because the longer grab hook fit better thru the outside of the wheel than on the inside, besides it allows the “lock circle” to be out of the direct rain flow. The bright yellow should call attention to it’s existence.

The details of how determined the thieves were made us decide that we’d hopefully make taking our trailer slightly more difficult than taking the local police crime scene wagon or the K9 unit with officer “K9” inside. Hopefully these steps will do it.

Good luck with your new Airstream and many “uneventful” years of enjoyable travels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	security cable.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	6193   Click image for larger version

Name:	pitbull.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	6194  

Allison Duramax 4X4
Hensley Arrow hitch
Kodiak / Actibrake Disc Brakes
Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller
Doran Pressure Pro
WBCCI #2984 Air # 4173
aluminauts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 12:25 AM   #82
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Hi there, Finally happy end;Don't change your insurrance; i hope mine 'll be good about my A/S in the wall ...
So i wondered now, if you find your stolen Airstream, it's always yours. I suppose the searches are always on.
Shall you keep the 2 Airstreams or which one you'll keep ? 99' or 2001 ?

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 09:21 AM   #83

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunoffrance
Hi there, Finally happy end;Don't change your insurrance; i hope mine 'll be good about my A/S in the wall ...
So i wondered now, if you find your stolen Airstream, it's always yours. I suppose the searches are always on.
Shall you keep the 2 Airstreams or which one you'll keep ? 99' or 2001 ?

Bruno.

Actually, the way it works here is that when the insurance pays off, they've 'bought' the missing AS. If it ever turns up the insurance company will auction it off. Thay may give the previous owner the option to buy it back first, I don't know.

RJReed, Congrats on your replacement AS, it's a nice one! Let's hope you have many years of happy camping now without any further incidents!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 07:57 PM   #84
1 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Newborn , Georgia
Smile Our Stolen Airstream Was Found

Wanted to update everyone again on our stolen Airstream saga. No.....it did not end up in Mexico afterall. We received a call from the Henry County police (two counties south of Atlanta) on May 20th to tell us they had found "our insurance company's" trailer. The suspected thief is now in custody. The trailer was slightly damaged, but nothing that can't be repaired easily. We were able to retrieve all our personal belongings, so we are whole once again and enjoying our new trailer more than ever.

We went to our first Airstream Rally this past weekend at Top of Georgia Airstream Park. What a nice bunch of folks. We had a really nice time.

Thanks again to everyone for all your concerns and efforts trying to help us find our trailer.

Ralph & JoEllen
rjreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 08:12 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
small shrieks of joy everywhere in the Airstream world!
how did they apprehend the miscreant?
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 08:12 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I love "weird" Happy Endings.

Are you going to get the "buy-back" option or just let it disappear?

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 06:00 AM   #87
1 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Newborn , Georgia
The suspected thief was later caught red-handed stealing Bobcat equipment from another business in the same industrial area where our trailer was stored. Further investigation at his house in Henry County turned up our trailer, another camper, another Bobcat, antiques, and lots of other stuff! The guy had not done anything with our trailer and all of our belongings were still inside.

Allstate gave us the option of buying the trailer back for the same amount as they had paid us. We would have filed another claim to have the damage fixed. Since we already had a newer replacement, we decided we didn't need two 27' Airstreams. The only damage consisted of bent over jack stand (as suspected), drilled out door lock, front of propane cover was crimped where tow vehicle bumper probably bent it in turns, propane line was smashed from being jacked up, and there was damage to lower left rear fairing with no damage to the aluminum. Nothing that can't be repaired.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:07 AM   #88
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Let's all go to his house for a house warming party.... I love a party.
Do you know where the trailer ended up and how it will be sold?
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 06:42 AM   #89
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Stories like these always make you wonder how the mind of a crook is wired differently. Normal folks always presume that there is some plan for the stolen property; resale with a new VIN, dismantling and parts sales, use as a shelter for a meth lab, use in the back woods as a hunting cabin never to be discovered, whatever...

and here this dope takes it, drills the lock, looks around, and lets it sit in his yard. It's always interesting to interview these folks after they're caught. They generally have no plan whatsoever, the theft was a 'spur of the moment' thing 'cause they saw whatever it was, had the tools and the ability to get it out, and took it. They'll figure out what to do with it later. Later seldom comes for those folks as they're too busy out stealing other 'stuff' that they need to figure out what to do with later too... <sigh> well, it's job security for those of us who deal with such folk...

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 06:55 AM   #90
1 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Newborn , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
Let's all go to his house for a house warming party.... I love a party.
Do you know where the trailer ended up and how it will be sold?
The trailer ended up at a big auto salvage dealer. It will eventually be auctioned off.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:59 AM   #91
1 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Newborn , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
Stories like these always make you wonder how the mind of a crook is wired differently. Normal folks always presume that there is some plan for the stolen property; resale with a new VIN, dismantling and parts sales, use as a shelter for a meth lab, use in the back woods as a hunting cabin never to be discovered, whatever...

and here this dope takes it, drills the lock, looks around, and lets it sit in his yard. It's always interesting to interview these folks after they're caught. They generally have no plan whatsoever, the theft was a 'spur of the moment' thing 'cause they saw whatever it was, had the tools and the ability to get it out, and took it. They'll figure out what to do with it later. Later seldom comes for those folks as they're too busy out stealing other 'stuff' that they need to figure out what to do with later too... <sigh> well, it's job security for those of us who deal with such folk...

Roger

The police told us they found equipment where he lived for making new VIN plates. Guess the guy was too busy stealing and/or sitting in jail to ever get around to doing anything with all the stuff.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:57 AM   #92
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
Me to. Ever watch Cops? They will enter a house and the guy they after will be sitting in his recliner and not be a bit suprised to see Law Enforcement Officers standing in his living room on a Friday night. I would be FREAKED to see them at my front door. These guys are so used to it that its just another day to them.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:27 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Any chance you can keep the forum upto date on this auction? I'm sure someone here would be interested in checking it out.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:38 AM   #94
1 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Newborn , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
Any chance you can keep the forum upto date on this auction? I'm sure someone here would be interested in checking it out.

John
We don't know exactly when the auction will be, but we have a good friend with dealer priviledges who is very interested in buying the trailer for himself.