Old 04-05-2004, 08:50 AM   #71
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Around this neck of the woods, your car is much more likely to be stolen than your RV. My biggest concern about leaving it unattended somewhere would be more the vandalism issue; kids breaking in to use it as a party spot; someone using it for target practice, that sort of stuff. Although these things ARE occasionally stolen (VERY occasionally), you are truly much more likely to be a victim of residential burglary in your home than to have your Airstream stolen.

AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 10:09 AM   #72
Rivet Master
Elgin , Texas
There is what looks like a '99 Safari parked on a used RV lot just north of me in Georgetown. I'll ride up this evening with Ralph's serial number just to see....

UPDATE: Never mind...was a 28' Excella, 1998 model....

Was worth a try, though.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 06:33 PM   #73
Rivet Master
2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
RJ the units that were stolen in the Smokies were they in storage or were they being used by campers. Having a unit stolen while in storage is bad enough but to have one taken while you using it and are out site seeing would really be traumatic.
I don't think I have ever seen an Airstream with a 2" reciever midships. On the coast of NC getting ready to travel cross county I will print your photo and take it with us. Traveling over 8,000 miles and visiting some out of the way places, you never know what you might find. If it was going out of country there are only a few places that it can go. Norfolk International Piers and Baltimore come to mind. It might be worthwhile to contact the Port Authorties and see if there is anything they can do. When I sold my 30' Airstream I had an offer from someone in Germany and he was willing to pay for shipping it by container.
I'm cleaning mine tomorrow. While I am up on the roof I am planning on painting some nice big red 3485 numbers on the ac or maybe directly on the roof which is already painted white.The PO of my unit got out of Airstreams and I used his numbers. These numbers have been on the trailer for 8 years. Even if removed they will still be there for sometime.
Best of luck on finding your unit, even better luck on finding out who is behind this as it is a real concern to all of us.

Keep the shiny side up.
WBCCI # 348
Past Region 3 President
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:34 AM   #74
3 Rivet Member
1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
trailers recovered

read an interesting item in the paper today about the police recovering stolen trucks and trailers. Says they arrested 22 people along I-35 in Texas. Seems the trucks and Trailers were being used to transport undocumented people around the country. Police in Bastrop,Williamson and Guadalupe counties worked together to track these stolen vechiles because they knew they were being used in this way. Of course they don't tell us what kind of traliers they were, but it shows some of who want these things. They use em abuse em and then I think Live in em !
Soooo if you're traveling on an interstate some time and you think you notice people inside an A/S being pulled by a stolen truck, call 911 and report it, it may be jammed full of people who aren't supposed to be there.
CatStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 06:52 PM   #75
1 Rivet Member
2013 31' Classic
Newborn , Georgia
Smile Update on Stolen 1999 27' Airstream Safari

We wanted to update everyone on the status of our stolen Safari. No, it was never found. General consensus is that it is in Mexico by now.

Good news is that our insurance company, Allstate, was very fair in the settlement. We were only out personal items that were not covered by our homeowner's policy since the trailer was stored off our premises.

More good news....we found a replacement and are back in the camping business. It's a 2001 27' Safari. We are hooked on that floor plan. It has some nice features the 1999 didn't have (i.e. window awnings and the new clear coat process on the models after 1999).

We want to thank everyone again for all the concern and thoughts. We plan to join the WBCCI and hopefully meet a lot of you in the future. It looks like we are going to be able to keep the WBCCI # in the picture so be on the lookout!

Ralph & JoEllen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2001 27' Safari 1.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	6108   Click image for larger version

Name:	2001 27' Safari 2.JPG
Views:	397
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	6109  

rjreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:00 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member
Smile Great news!

Ralph and JoEllen,
So glad to hear you found the silver lining in your dark cloud. Its beautiful!
Mindy WBCCI #5672
silverlassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:01 PM   #77
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If these are pics of the new coach, then they are equal or greater than the '99 you posted.

Glad it all worked out!

Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 07:21 AM   #78

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Nice also that the previous owner added the rear and streetside awings. Also notice that you now have 4 stabilizer jacks rather then 2 on your '99. Finally again the previous owner replaced the 2001 jacks with the upgrade big models. I did the same on my 2001 Safari. Nice unit! Have fun and check out the 2001 Safari forum which has some other ideas.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 08:17 AM   #79
Rivet Master
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Happy Ending

GEE... I a Love a Happy Ending.
Janets Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 09:39 AM   #80
4 Rivet Member
1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
I am very lucky that I can store both of my Airstreams close to my house.

But, If I had to use a storage lot, I think I would remove the tires on one side and put it on jack stands.

I don't think most theives would go to the trouble of finding the correct tires/wheels and lug nuts so that they could steal it.
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 08:08 PM   #81
3 Rivet Member

vancouver , Washington
I was glad to read that you are getting whole again after your trying experience. I did want to post that your episode didn’t go without impact on our approach to Airstream security.
First there is the security cable thru the Hensley hitch and the trailer A frame.

Second the Pit Bull wheel lock around the lead road side wheel. It’s on upside down because the longer grab hook fit better thru the outside of the wheel than on the inside, besides it allows the “lock circle” to be out of the direct rain flow. The bright yellow should call attention to it’s existence.

The details of how determined the thieves were made us decide that we’d hopefully make taking our trailer slightly more difficult than taking the local police crime scene wagon or the K9 unit with officer “K9” inside. Hopefully these steps will do it.

Good luck with your new Airstream and many “uneventful” years of enjoyable travels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	security cable.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	6193   Click image for larger version

Name:	pitbull.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	6194  

2003 34' Airstream Classic
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Allison Duramax 4X4
Hensley Arrow hitch
Kodiak / Actibrake Disc Brakes
Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller
Doran Pressure Pro
WBCCI #2984 Air # 4173
aluminauts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 12:25 AM   #82
Very american 4 a french
1971 27' Overlander
Hi there, Finally happy end;Don't change your insurrance; i hope mine 'll be good about my A/S in the wall ...
So i wondered now, if you find your stolen Airstream, it's always yours. I suppose the searches are always on.
Shall you keep the 2 Airstreams or which one you'll keep ? 99' or 2001 ?

My blog:The american dream in FRANCE:
My pictures in high quality: Pictures on FLICKR:
My videos are on YOU TUBE
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 09:21 AM   #83

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Originally Posted by brunoffrance
Hi there, Finally happy end;Don't change your insurrance; i hope mine 'll be good about my A/S in the wall ...
So i wondered now, if you find your stolen Airstream, it's always yours. I suppose the searches are always on.
Shall you keep the 2 Airstreams or which one you'll keep ? 99' or 2001 ?

Actually, the way it works here is that when the insurance pays off, they've 'bought' the missing AS. If it ever turns up the insurance company will auction it off. Thay may give the previous owner the option to buy it back first, I don't know.

RJReed, Congrats on your replacement AS, it's a nice one! Let's hope you have many years of happy camping now without any further incidents!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 07:57 PM   #84
1 Rivet Member
2013 31' Classic
Newborn , Georgia
Smile Our Stolen Airstream Was Found

Wanted to update everyone again on our stolen Airstream saga. did not end up in Mexico afterall. We received a call from the Henry County police (two counties south of Atlanta) on May 20th to tell us they had found "our insurance company's" trailer. The suspected thief is now in custody. The trailer was slightly damaged, but nothing that can't be repaired easily. We were able to retrieve all our personal belongings, so we are whole once again and enjoying our new trailer more than ever.

We went to our first Airstream Rally this past weekend at Top of Georgia Airstream Park. What a nice bunch of folks. We had a really nice time.

Thanks again to everyone for all your concerns and efforts trying to help us find our trailer.

Ralph & JoEllen

rjreed is offline   Reply With Quote