Old 03-17-2004, 07:26 AM   #15
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Identity Theft

Getting a title and registration for a stolen vehicle is a lot simpler than you think.

In todays world, your identity is not safe much less an inanimate object.

Probably one of the most stolen objects are personal watercraft, (Sea Doos and Jet Skis). These do require registration in most states but not all.

And heres a real easy lift, Golf Carts, no registration or title required in most states. Thieves go to golf course, pay the fees, play about 10 holes and dissappear. They can make it out of state long before the Golf Cart attendant can even realize he is a cart or two short.

Both of these vehicles fit in an enclosed trailer.

Other items include, high end boat trailers, boat motors, whole boats that are stolen from storage lots and long gone before the owner checks on it once a month.

I have always said that I will never live in a neighborhood that requires off site storage because the storage lots are mere flea markets for thieves.

Just think about it, it is probably some one who has access more often than not. Hmmm, store my boat or RV where other boats and RV are stored, I think not! Who would be interested in my stuff more than some one who has comaprable stuff.

I am quite the pessimist when it comes to these issues.

I hope you catch these crooks but time is of the essence.

Smily

Old 03-17-2004, 08:45 AM   #16
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Re: Identity Theft

Quote:
Originally posted by smily
Getting a title and registration for a stolen vehicle is a lot simpler than you think.

In todays world, your identity is not safe much less an inanimate object.

Probably one of the most stolen objects are personal watercraft, (Sea Doos and Jet Skis). These do require registration in most states but not all.

And heres a real easy lift, Golf Carts, no registration or title required in most states. Thieves go to golf course, pay the fees, play about 10 holes and dissappear. They can make it out of state long before the Golf Cart attendant can even realize he is a cart or two short.

Both of these vehicles fit in an enclosed trailer.

Other items include, high end boat trailers, boat motors, whole boats that are stolen from storage lots and long gone before the owner checks on it once a month.

Smily
Ken,

Title fraud can be done, and does occur. Particularly with the assistance of someone working in government; but it's NOT easy to do. It's certainly not an easy task for a solo thief. That most generally happens when an auto-theft ring is involved in wholesale thefts.

It's true that the smaller stuff is easily stolen, easily concealed, and seldom checked by law enforcement. Snowmobiles fall under that same umbrella.

However, recognize that a 27' Airstream travel trailer is not so easily concealed nor hard to spot on the road. Airstreams are not yet so plentiful as to be anonymous. It can't take off diagonally across a lake or farm field. It has to be towed on the roads, and stored somewhere before it's disposed of. Not all crooks have a barn or garage large enough to store the thing. In this case, I'd guess that these crooks may be fairly sophisticated A tow truck could have winched the trailer out of it's space (although winching takes a lot of skill and a fair amount of space), dragging the tongue, and then used the sling to lift the tongue and tow it away, damaged or not.

Anyway, there's no guarantee that it, or for that matter ANY stolen Airstream will be found, but the odds are significantly increased when a legion of folks are actively looking for them.

Roger

Old 03-17-2004, 09:07 AM   #17
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Awareness

It will be great if this unit is returned. I am crossing my fingers.

But lets face it, how many times has anybody on this forum been asked by the Police or other authority for their registration or any other proof of ownership on their Airstream?

I think if a cop did stop and ask, he would not be able to tell if the unit was 1970 model or a 2000 model, (a little exaggeration).

Most of the population is oblivious to models of Airstreams.
Most dont even know that they are still manufactured.

As much as I hate to admit it, I have actually moved tags around on Airstreams for temporary use. Is this legal, I dont think so.
But I know that if I handed my registration to the cops upon request, he would see the Tag number, (which is on the trailer) and he would see that the registration says "Airstream", Done!
My registration does not say, Overlander, Safari, Excella, etc......
it does have the VIN number. I cannot see a cop looking all over for the VIN number on my unit. Matter of fact, I have never seen a cop verify the VIN number on my cars when I got a ticket, and (I assure you I have received more tickets than most, not too proud of that but proves my point). As a government contractor, I travel to many military installtions and have to get vehicle passes. I have been doing this for thirteen years and have checked into at least a hundred pass offices. Not once did they verify my VIN number. They did look at my tags, how do they know if it is a stolen vehicle? They dont!

Now a car is typically colored and that does narrow down the description considerably, but all Airstream trailers are stock aluminum, (except Argosies of course and a few oddballs).

I dont wish to shadow this thread but ny point is that if someone wanted that Airstream bad enough, (great effort has been displayed), they can get the vehicle right past the cops. Sad but true. I have always said that "the more obvious you are the less people suspect".

I bet this trailer rolled right past the cops in broad daylight. I bet the cops even said" Check that out, my grandparents used to have one of those"

Good luck,
Smily

Old 03-17-2004, 09:41 AM   #18
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
This isn't about cops...

While I worked for San Diego PD twenty years ago, we even issued a moving permit and directed traffic for a house mover who stole a house from Pacific Beach! A stick-built duplex! I took the theft report ten days later! The APB was hilarious!

Further that's EXACTLY my point. Cops look for things out of the ordinary. Who'd have the moxie to steal a duplex, and then move it? Somebody did!

I towed my tri-axle home from Ohio to Iowa with no plates, and no temp tag (although I had plenty of paperwork, insurance, and a bill of sale with me...). It wasn't legal either, and I got passed by three highway patrol cars in three states and none of them even saw I didn't have plates. What young copper is interested in a bunch of old folks pulling a 34' trailer? I laughed all the way home!

This issue here is that we have a WHOLE BUNCH of folks who DO know a Bambi from a tri-axle. We ARE interested. WE can look out for each other. WE, the interested members of this forum, who know Airstreams CAN report stuff that looks odd because WE recognize it when we see it. WE need to be looking in our daily travels, and reporting anything that doesn't look right to us, and WHY it doesn't look right. 85% of the time, there will be a logical explanation for what we see, but if 15% of the time we turn the cops on to criminal activity... it's worth doing!

Although a paraphrase of Edmund Burke's original observation:
"For evil to triumph it is enough only that good men do nothing".

And THAT's my point here, Ken. We have it in our power to make a difference FOR EACH OTHER. Rather than be victims, Let's DO something!

Roger
Old 03-17-2004, 10:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Roger, you are absolutely right. I did 25 years as a British Bobby, carrying out thousands of crime investigations, and am now happily retired. You and I know that the members of this forum are a highly powerful investigating team. What chance has a local officer in comparison to our thousands of knowledgeable eyes and ears?? We just need to print out the picture at the top of this thread,keep it in our glovebox, and examine every Airstream on the road, in the campsite, in the woods, in the salvage yards, at the dealers for the next few years. Contrary to what is seen on TV, successful crime investigations are usually based on 99% perspiration and determination, and 1% inspiration. If anyone can get these toe-rags, we can. Perhaps we can have a standard label for threads which ask everyone to look for a stolen trailer. In the past, I have been accustomed to APW, "All Ports Warning". Nick.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:26 AM   #20
Rivet Master

An important point when attempting to trace a stolen item is any obvious identifying feature which makes it stand out from other similar models. In this case, the photo shows a spare wheel mounted on the rear fender. This is a rare feature, in my experience, as this is the last place to put weight on an Airstream. If the tire is still in place, this could be a useful identifier of a moving trailer. If it has been removed, there may be some unusual bolt holes in the fender area. Where was the spare wheel mount attached? A solar panel on the roof is another useful pointer. Are there any other special features of the trailer which would make it identifiable to anyone other than the owners? Nick.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:39 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
That's the scarie part..

nickcrowhurst
Quote:
In the past, I have been accustomed to APW, "All Ports Warning". Nick.
I hate to voice a "gut feeling" that this thing could be headed for just such;
Either driven over the border or, shipped overseas~!!
~

ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 10:46 AM   #22
Rivet Master

yes, but I'm in the UK, Bruno is in France, some are surely in Mexico....... I once investigated a vicious assault in a small town in south-west England. A year later I found the crucial witness in Hampton, New Brunswick, Canada, just by asking the right questions in the right places, and being persistent. Tracing a 29 foot aluminium box is not the most challenging of investigations! Nick.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:57 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Newborn , Georgia
The spare tire carrier on the rear slides into a receiver hitch. It is/was also locked. The hitch receiver is welded on a separate carrier bolted to the trailer frame. If the spare tire and carrier are removed, the hitch receiver may still be there unless they remove the separate carrier structure from the trailer frame.

The only other distinguishable feature upon close scrutiny is, the front window on the right side (curbside) was replaced by the previous owner. Most folks probably wouldn't observe the difference unless they compared it to all the other windows.

We appreciate everyones input, suggestions, condolences and prayers. Some encouragement.....some discouagement. It was rather disheartening when we filed the police report and they asked us what color it was!
Old 03-17-2004, 12:48 PM   #24
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Not overseas...

Hi rjreed;
I'm really sorry for you about your A/S.

Of course, I'll have a look on the roads in FRANCE, and especially in the North where I drive a lot of kilometers or miles... , near the road traffic triangular UK / FRANCE / BELGIUM - NEDERLAND- GERMANY.

So I really doubt that it's possible to import a stolen A/S in Europe.

European customs are very serious and they control all datas before you get away with your vehicle; don't forget you cannot ship this trailer in a container; Only in specialized boats in specifics ports as Le HAVRE in FRANCE, or ZEEBRUGGE in BELGIUM.

So your A/S is too much recent and there is too much taxes to earn money on it in Europe; Impossibble too to ride on roads because regulations don't accept this trailers except if it's a collectible one ( more than 25 years old).

So be patient and trust in the US authorities and in our community to find your silver jewel.

Best regards from FRANCE.

Bruno.
My AIRSTREAMLIFE ning
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 01:28 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Quote:
European customs are very serious and they control all datas before you get away with your vehicle; don't forget you cannot ship this trailer in a container; Only in specialized boats in specifics ports as Le HAVRE in FRANCE, or ZEEBRUGGE in BELGIUM.
This is absolutely true!

We have done extensive prep research to try to take our Titan to Italy, it is a very long and meticulous process. Not impossible but you do need tons of paperwork which obviously these thieves don't have.

Quote:
We have it in our power to make a difference FOR EACH OTHER. Rather than be victims, Let's DO something!
You nailed it Roger!

We can and we will!!

The people who did this are no dummies or lazy. They went through a lot of trouble to get that specific trailer. Shows determination but also intention. that's what they wanted and that's what they got. Probably it's true, nothing could've stopped them, but now WE CAN!

Personally I have the following theories:

1) If these thieves are supplying AS for public demand abroad, they must be a highly organized ring and I hate to say this but they must know Airstreams....(what is good, what to steal etc.). They need to be able to falsify necessary documents for export and be able to store the rigs before departure. Not hide them, let's not forget that the best place to hide something is right beneath everybody's eyes, (you're not going to be suspicious of an AS parked in someon's driveway. Yet you may want to check it out if it's parked in some field or isolated barn).
In this case we must be alert for where the demand is coming from. For example if it were Japan we can contact the local AS community there (someone posted their address some time ago - great big community) and let them know, ask for their help...in other words get them involved! We're all AS lovers I'm sure they'd love to help. It's a common cause.

2) These thefts are run by a small group of thieves who simply act on request. Someone is looking for a particular year and footage, they post a "looking for ad" and these thieves reply: "We have what you've been searching, unfortunately it was my uncle's who passed away and we can't find it's title, but as soon as we do we'll mail it to you" etc.
This has happened before and it wouldn't surprise me at all if someone out there is carrying it out right now. After all the lie sounds real and if they act well enough I'm sure they could trick a whole bunch of buyers who in good faith trust them and later get...

I agree that the "parts" theory sounds to complicated and less remunitive to be possible.

Anyway, why don't we start a thread - section (as Roger suggested) to act as a database for all stolen AS. Pics and all details should definetly be included. Also I would urge for it to include all states and nations.

This way every member (all over the world) could periodically print the list of stolen AS and keep his eyes open.

Maybe a moderator can figure the best way to do this. Any suggestions?
Old 03-17-2004, 01:39 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
My career was spent doing investigations in large multinational corporations - auto, ag and construction mostly.

We maintained a corporate-wide data bank of our company's stolen equipment, not only for our own internal use and provided to law-enforcement, but also shared with our dealers.

I wonder if Thor or Airstream has something similar. If not, they should. Mr. Reed, you might want to contact someone at the Airstream's headquarters regarding your loss.

John
Old 03-17-2004, 01:56 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Great idea John!! let's keep them coming!
Old 03-17-2004, 02:04 PM   #28
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Reward for Stolen 1999 27' Airstream Safari

rjreed,

Send me a picture of the rig to Ruth@BMG-Specialties.com. I can't open pictures from the system at work, but she can. I live in Chattanooga and will be keeping an eye out for your Airstream. I am so sorry this has happened to you. Hang in there. There are a lot of folks on this site that do know what color it is and can recognize the differences! Hopefully you will get her back soon!

You might also want to list this on Airstream.com and Airstream. net. One of them is solely for vintage models, but the folks will surely understand this situation!

Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote