Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2015, 11:42 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Clara , Utah
Pleasant Surprise

Ditto, Jack. Amerprise (Costco) sent us to Progressive when we bought our rig. Its only been a year, but no worries. We have validated the price and terms/conditions and see Progressive as the best choice.
ByHyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:49 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Millville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
USAA does not underwrite RV insurance in NC; they sub it out to Progressive.

Larry
I think this is everywhere. I live in New Jersey and they sent me to Progressive's website when I was looking for a quote.

I don't yet have an Airstream, but I'm trying to get an idea of costs before jumping in.
esloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:13 PM   #23
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
CA insurance is different than most - if not all other states, with our no fault + independent insurance commissioner & requirements for each insurance company to be approved to sell in state.

We were recco'd in 2012 to go with "Flo" / Progressive for Agreed Value on our restored vintage kin 1960 Avion T20 by the resto guy who did the PPI for us, but Flo had stopped writing Agreed Value policies by then - at least in CA.

So we stayed with AAA & they added it at the Agreed Value based upon the "opinion of value" given by the PPI guy (he's not an appraiser), & never got an appraiser to do one since they accepted it.

Now I need to get an "opinion of value" report from GoWesty for our restored 1988 VW Westfalia, since most appraisers don't know that market & hopefully AAA will switch that to Agreed Value thereafter - or at least their ACV will be based on a realistic value & not just a beater or good survivor Westy.

I do have good claim history on the cars for over 33 years (plus a prior stint in the 1970's - early `80's on my Porsche 914 until they stopped insuring sports cars for a time) with AAA/ACSC (Auto Club So Cal) - but nothing with the Avion so far (cross-fingers!).

For vintage trailers - & once your newer AS/TT reaches that "Classic" age - it's a good idea to get a new appraisal every 2-5 years, since their values go UP/appreciate - NOT down/depreciate - with time & even with a resto & use "aging" the trailer, due to market demand increasing for the vintage trailers.

That trend may or may not continue, but it's worth watching out for your investment's coverage.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:14 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
If you have a note on your TV or trailer consider checking out an inexpensive GAP policy w/a if needed to cover the difference between what you owe and what your claim will be paid. Not all GAPs equal and don't overpay. Not for everyone but where it does apply it can be a good thing!
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:35 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Montgomery , Florida
Progressive claims

Got paid for hail damage in 7 days of adjustor looking at it at Jackson Center, he'll of nice guy and Air Stream people great. No complaints.
Grateful2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:57 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Keene , New Hampshire
Progressive rates

First timers and wondrring what are you paying for full coverage on AS? We just bought 2015 FC 25 FB.
phowe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:19 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I believe the most important point isn't necessarily the company but the policy type and coverage. When I shopped around (info posted elsewhere) I found that new model owners had the option to get a replacement policy. For others, buying used another option if done within 2-3 years of purchase, is a non-expiring agreed value policy- much better than cash value based on NADA depreciated values but not as good as replacement. The company may or may not be important as they utilize different underwriters- go to progressive for example get a nationwide policy per se. I would urge anyone concerned with insurance to look into this. My AS, in a total loss scenario which I had the reps "play out" with me- cash value policy- $13000 or so and ever decreasing. Agreed Value $27000 as long as the policy is in force. The premium was about $40 more a year.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:40 AM   #28
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
I believe the most important point isn't necessarily the company but the policy type and coverage. When I shopped around (info posted elsewhere) I found that new model owners had the option to get a replacement policy. For others, buying used another option if done within 2-3 years of purchase, is a non-expiring agreed value policy- much better than cash value based on NADA depreciated values but not as good as replacement. The company may or may not be important as they utilize different underwriters- go to progressive for example get a nationwide policy per se. I would urge anyone concerned with insurance to look into this. My AS, in a total loss scenario which I had the reps "play out" with me- cash value policy- $13000 or so and ever decreasing. Agreed Value $27000 as long as the policy is in force. The premium was about $40 more a year.
This, we got an agreed value policy for ours from Progressive for what we paid. You pay a little more, and have a few more hoops to jump thru. We needed an appraisal.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:44 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Just curious, what does a paid appraisal usually run? I used to do sailboat appraisals. We charged by the foot and mileage to the boat if not in the immediate area. Assuming that TT appraisals work the same.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote