Well, the guy on the phone made it clear to cash out, means I get the money. Jack is right though, it's a pay now or pay later. Thing is this, the house has almost doubled in value in 6 years. Not that past performance would be the same in the future, but to give a 10-15k allowance for the garage in the future off the amount the house has already appreciated, will possilby appreciate in the future, and the fact that I get liquid cash now makes the cash out option somewhat appealing to me. Make no mistake though, the adjuster made it clear that a cash out would mean they hand over a check to me for the total cost of the loss. No one else if I choose this option. The only thing I am waiting for is what that cash out number will be to make the final decision which way to go.
I would repair the garage if I went this route. I had 4 200lb guys up on the roof yesterday on the cracked beam. There was almost no play. Of course 4-7 feet of snow is a bit more than that, but since the garage is heated, it rarely keeps more than 2 feet of snow up there.