Old 08-23-2003, 07:40 AM   #15
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois

Well, the guy on the phone made it clear to cash out, means I get the money. Jack is right though, it's a pay now or pay later. Thing is this, the house has almost doubled in value in 6 years. Not that past performance would be the same in the future, but to give a 10-15k allowance for the garage in the future off the amount the house has already appreciated, will possilby appreciate in the future, and the fact that I get liquid cash now makes the cash out option somewhat appealing to me. Make no mistake though, the adjuster made it clear that a cash out would mean they hand over a check to me for the total cost of the loss. No one else if I choose this option. The only thing I am waiting for is what that cash out number will be to make the final decision which way to go.

I would repair the garage if I went this route. I had 4 200lb guys up on the roof yesterday on the cracked beam. There was almost no play. Of course 4-7 feet of snow is a bit more than that, but since the garage is heated, it rarely keeps more than 2 feet of snow up there.

Decisions, decisions.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 08:14 AM   #16
1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Portola Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Hi Eric,
You have insurance on the property to protect the property, and your investment in the property. I'd say let them do their thing, as it seems that they have your and your families best interest in mind, by offering to you to do a replacement, instead of patching etc etc.
I think you would regret not fixing the garage properly, after all, the house typically is our biggest investment.

uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 08:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master
LOST , Hawaii
I would repair the garage if I went this route.
Check with your agent and see if would still be insured. If you have your car and boat in there and something happens it might be on you if they question the integrity of the repair.

I would get a couple of contractors to give repair estimates. The insurance companies are going to go the cheapest route, don't get in a situation where you take a check and "hidden damage" ends up costing you.

74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 05:22 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I'm with qqq;

Find a good contractor thru networking and save the paperwork on the repair for future prof of repair should you need it. Check the contractor out with bbb and get referances
The insurance co. has to address the problem with the slab and from reading your post that does not seem to be your major concern.

garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 06:43 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Hear is another thought, could you take the money and find a contractor that would rebuild it big enough to put your A.S. in. Would the building code permit it ? Sounds like you probably are in an area where you would have to have building permits and inspections. If it is not up to code you would be in for a hard time.
Just a thought.

Crsoley Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 07:27 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Well Having had to do some repair to what sounds like a very simular constucted and vintage garage of my grandmothers in Detroit........I'd say let them rebuild it.

Once that slab is broken its going to be nothing but trouble. Every winter the frost heave is going to make it worse and worse. The fact that a tree hitting the roof cause the slab to be damaged is the proof. It's sitting on soft ground and more then likly the roots from that tree are up under it. Once they rot out it will make a void and the frost heave will be worse.

I understand your concern of possible change but you need to check into your local building codes and stuff. It may be that you will not be able to build a house of a different size that will accomidate an attached garage. You may overbuild the property and even though you already have apreciated 100+k you may never recover that if you were to level and rebuild.

Need to do your best to look at the long term and understand that rules may change and something that you could do now may be shot down in the future.

Your home is 50 years old now and homes of simular vintage in Atlanta are now concidered historic here in some areas. It's damn tough to get through the city code and junk around here to be able to level a home and rebuild. The code requires it be rebuilt in simular size and style to the original and surounding. It would have to be approved by the historic commity. About the only way to build new is if the old is a total loss from fire or natural disaster. It only takes 2 or three people to think a "historic" designations is a "good idea" and 51% of the people in the area to agree.
1959 22' Caravanner
1988 R20 454 Suburban.
Atlanta, GA
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 07:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Dont' you have to get a demolition permit and pay to haul the debris away. Then what if you find something like sub-infrastructure problems. In our area it would cost almost 10K just for demolition. I would fix it. 15K just dont' go far.

Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote