Old 01-09-2007, 04:59 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
It's not just State Farm

This problem probably covers the spectrum of insurance companies.
My '98 Safari was totalled in August when I was rear-ended by a commercial truck. I wasn't familiar with the trucks insurance co, my company is Allstate. I ran into all of the issues that the original poster described. Adjustors without a clue, NADA values way below current market, etc. In the end, I lost about $4K on the crash.
I guess one of my biggest disapointments was that Allstate didn't seem to represent me well against the other company.
I'm still looking for a company to insure my current trailer properly. If you've had a GOOD experience, please PM me.
Dave

Old 01-09-2007, 07:44 PM   #72
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It's been about 12 days since the orig post....any updates?

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:52 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Good experience...! ? ?

Fry et al -

Not that I have LOADS of experience, and VERY fortunately! NOT with SilverToy.... I have had very good experience with USAA. This is NOT an endorsement, nor do I work for them, or affiliates, etc....

They were very fair when we had a claim for the wife's car (not her fault) and they DID respond VERY positively (in a $ sense) when I made a supremely rightious counter offer to their initial offer... $'s in my pocket....!!!

Best of luck in the INS market!

Peace out.

Axel
Old 01-09-2007, 08:33 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
Ditto

I have also had very positive experiences with USAA.

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:16 AM   #75
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We bought our 30' Safari in May '06. We camped in a campground in Chattanooga the Memorial Day Weekend (the weekend we picked it up) and when leaving the campground I cut too short and "brushed" against a guard rail and put a dent/crease from the door to the rear seam on the curb side of the trailer. The very next outing was Father's Day weekend. Just as I was reaching the turn-off to FDR State Park in Pine Mountain, GA a deer darted out just behind my truck and crashed into the front curb side corner of the trailer caving in the stone guard and corner panel behind it. I reported both incidents to my Farm Bureau Agent as separate accidents. He asked where I wanted to take the Airstream for repairs and I told him considering how new it was and the unique construction of Airstreams I wanted to take it back to the factory to have it put back factory new. He said no problem.

I took it to Jackson Center on my nickle (more like quarter) but had it repaired and the check was sent to JC. When I went to pick the trailer up two weeks later, I discovered that JC had quoted both repairs as one. I endorsed the check and wrote a personal check for the $500 difference (one deductible amount) so I could take my trailer home and immediately called my agent the next day and told him about the discrepancy. He told me he would get back with me. That was the second week in August and I have yet to hear from him concerning how to deal with the second deductible. I made careful note of the date I reported this in my calendar so that I could substantiate the date if I am ever accused of insurance fraud.

The total damage for both accidents was $9,700. My cost for the repairs was: $500 for a single deductible; $600 for diesel fuel to drop-off and return two weeks later to retrieve my trailer in JC; $300 in over the road incidentals and campground fees.

Oh yes. Folkie53, you mentioned the treat of cancellation every time you file a claim. The week before I went to pick up my Airstream in JC I received a notice that my premium would be going DOWN! Two weeks later I received a refund check for $94 for over payment when I took out the policy.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:53 AM   #76
2 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Sanford , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Folkie53 Send a message via Yahoo to Folkie53
The threat has occurred with State Farm here in FLorida. I had a window broke in my house and just called State Farm to let them know and that I would be replacing it at my own cost. They wrote me a letter saying to effect if I called them again with a loss they would have no choice but to cancel me. Thats why I went with Progressive for my Silvertwinkie and Gieco for my vehicles.. I have had losses on both of these and have never had so much as a ripple of problems. I do not sell insurance nor do I work for either one of them but I have no problem in endorsing either one for the service and the availability. Folkie53
Old 01-10-2007, 09:39 AM   #77
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
This is the second time I have had insurance with the Farm Bureau. I have only had one claim when someone broke into my house and stole some items. They were very professional, quick to reimburse for loss and easy to work with. Another unnamed insurance company would only insure my Airstream for $5000 at liability only. Not good enough! Now everything is with the Farm Bureau.
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:12 AM   #78
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kposey
This is the second time I have had insurance with the Farm Bureau. I have only had one claim when someone broke into my house and stole some items. They were very professional, quick to reimburse for loss and easy to work with. Another unnamed insurance company would only insure my Airstream for $5000 at liability only. Not good enough! Now everything is with the Farm Bureau.
Good luck with Farm Bureau, we have had nothing but headaches with them. We currently have a very large outstanding claim that has been pending for almost 2 years. I have a theory that the insurance companies settle the smaller claims quickly and are more prone to be antagonistic on the larger ones in hope of making a smaller settlement in their favor. I have noted and seen this with other companies too.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Wahooc,

Farm Bureau is a state by state insurance. Tennessee farm bureau is a fairly good organization. Has nothing to do with N Carolina.

That can be good or bad. We have no exposure to your storms on the coast but, financial strength is only within a defined state area. An earthquake in western Tenn would probably bankrupt them/us.

I do not know if Farm bureau sells any of their risk to Buffett.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:44 AM   #80
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfoot321
Wahooc,

Farm Bureau is a state by state insurance. Tennessee farm bureau is a fairly good organization. Has nothing to do with N Carolina.

That can be good or bad. We have no exposure to your storms on the coast but, financial strength is only within a defined state area. An earthquake in western Tenn would probably bankrupt them/us.

I do not know if Farm bureau sells any of their risk to Buffett.
I am sure they do sell their risk. It is NC Farm Bureau that we are having the issues with. And the state is well aware of it.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 01-10-2007, 12:42 PM   #81
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
In 2000 we had a toilet that overflowed and flooded our house while we were at work. It so happened that the toilet was flushed on the way out and my wife didn't take time to see the job finished. Well, she got home first and the water was flowing out from under the garage door. We have slab-on-grade. Every bit of the floor covering had to be removed, dehumidifiers were installed in every room, our sofa, wicker in the sun room, and everything that was stored in the bottom of closets was a total loss. We had to move to a hotel for a month while our house was dried out, our kitchen cabinets were repaired/rebuilt, all of the wooden legged furniture was refinished, and all of the flooring including hardwoods and ceramic tile was replaced. Total cost of the loss including temp housing was in excess of $67,000. Farm Bureau paid without a problem. This included approximately $10,000 in damages to personal items such as the kids toys that had to be replaced because of fecal contamination from the water. The key was that the water came from the toilet bowl and not the septic tank. Anyway, there was no threat of cancellation or anything.

Two years later my wife rear-ended a Ford Explorer with her Ford Expedition. I don't know what the damage to the Explorer was, but the damage to my wife's SUV was just over $2,100. I only got one estimate, from the Ford dealer where it was bought, and Farm Bureau paid without any problems and no threats of cancellation. We also got a check for the depreciated value of her SUV because of the decrease in value caused by the accident.

I think a lot has to do with your agent and how well he/she is willing to act on your behalf. If he/she is willing to help you, there is no problem. If he/she is not willing to help you, then I think it is an uphill battle with the corporate office.

wahoonc, maybe it is the person you started dealing with. I'm sure you have long since moved on to higher ups, but that person may have "black balled" you with others at FB.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 01-10-2007, 01:05 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Angry DON'T call your insurance company's claims line!!!

Do NOT call your insurance company for anything trivial OR even to ASK if you should file a claim or not on something small... call your agent!

My agent taught me that the insurance company will OPEN A CLAIM if you call to ask about something minor like a dinged bumper - if the cost to repair/replace the bumper is $400 and you have a $500 deductible they will consider it a claim even if you never receive a cent... just because you inquired. If you have damage of $600-$700 and a $500 deductible you may still want to consider paying it yourself rather than collecting the small reimbursement from the agent. The experience of the insurance companies is that people who file small claims don't file just one - they file two or three a year; and are also more likely to file a major claim. Writing the check is the least expensive part of filing a small claim; it's the estimates, paperwork and approval process that takes up their time and effort. They cancel people who have multiple small claims before they get to the big claim.

Insurance is really for catastrophic events. Raise your deductible and suck up the small stuff as "routine maintenance". File a claim only if you have a major loss.

Paula Ford
Old 01-10-2007, 01:14 PM   #83
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I'm with Paula. Carry as high of a deductable as you can afford and put the premium savings in a savings account to pay for small stuff. Make only claims for the big stuff.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 01-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #84
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
If he/she is not willing to help you, then I think it is an uphill battle with the corporate office.

wahoonc, maybe it is the person you started dealing with. I'm sure you have long since moved on to higher ups, but that person may have "black balled" you with others at FB.
Our agent was fine, but because of the high amount of the claim it was immediately escalated to an incompetent "Senior Claims Adjuster" at the regional level. The total loss exceeded $500,000 it was a business loss. We have been told by the State Insurance Commissioner's office that the particular adjuster in question has been censured by the state prior to our claim. What is amazing to me is that the company will allow something like this to continue to escalate to the levels it has. We will settle and it will be a fair settlement.

Now back to our original thread

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495