Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Seattle , Washington
Medical insurance

Well, we're getting ready for our big trip next year for at least 6 months in our airstream. We're jacking our jobs and leaving WA end of May to travel down to the international rally then off to continue the adventure.
In the planning stages right now and wondered if anyone out there had insight into medical insurance, myself and my wife are around the 40 mark so don't qualify for medicare, only ever taken work medical before so have very little knowledge on the subject. (know about cobra but wondered about other options as it's very $$$) Does anyone know of any companies that provide fairly comprehensive travel medical insurance?
Thanks, Dan
Streamer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plymouth Meeting , Pennsylvania
Medical Coverage

That's a tough question. Even with Medicare and supplements thought has to go into medical coverage decisions. If all else fails, near the end of your employment and medical coverage, get the full general checkup and dental cleaning and anticipated work done before jettison the job. Maybe a haircut at your favorite shop as well.

If you find medical coverage at any age that's reasonable, probably 10 million Americans will want to join as well. There's always some sort of clinic available, especially if you can pay something.

Good luck in you adventure, don't let the question get in your way.
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
2005 31' Classic
Douglass , Texas
As Intrepid pointed out, "good luck and don't let the question get in the way"! I did and I regret that decision but I felt I had no choice. Millions of American's have no choice when it comes to health care! I planned all of my life to retire at age 55 and hit the road with my AS. I made good money and I agrresively saved and did all the right things and was on track to make my goal. However, at age 50 I began to have health issues. I did not stay fit and I had a heart surgery that cost my companies insurance company $200K and 2 stent insertions done later at $50K a piece. That did not include the $1200.00 month of prescriptions. These are cost that no matter how much you save are very hard to pay out of pocket. I have just recently given my company notice of my intent to retire at the end of January 2012 at age 62 with VA health care. I will be departing on a 12 month planned AS trip around the country and if my health does not hold up, I will go to the closest VA facility.
Thanks to the tax payers of this country, they see fit to provide veterans with coverage if they can't get it elsewhere but many do not have that to fall back on. Health care is a reall issue in this country!
jrudd1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
James... Just a suggestion...you should check and verify your VA benefits now, before you actually need them so that you will know exactly what you can expect in terms of medical coverage.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
James... Just a suggestion...you should check and verify your VA benefits now, before you actually need them so that you will know exactly what you can expect in terms of medical coverage.
Hi, my brother and I did this a few years back and VA won't do anything for us; Basically we would have to be homeless and penniless to qualify for any of their help.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:35 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Steamer Dan,
Only advice I have is to start looking into major medical policies now. I realize cobra is very expensive, but so are medical expenses should you have to be hospitilized. THere are many types of med ins to look into, such as paying for a policy that only pays out for catastrophic occurances, ie, hospitalization.
I've been in the medical field and all I can say is stay insured if you can afford it!
Yes, this country does need to make changes to the medical system, however, having lived in Germany and the Netherlands and having to get medical care there, socialized medicine is not the answer....just my opinion after living thru it.
After my sister retired, she was years from being Medicare eligible and opted to take her cobra from her company as it was a great policy and she travelled alot and wanted to be covered, also, prescription and visiion was included. 6 months after retirement she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and that expensive policy more than paid for itself...she is doing great...6 yrs in remission. My point is its the luck of the draw so to speak.
Have fun planning your trip, but do it wisely and get the insurance. If there is something on policies you don't understand, call your family practice doctor and ask the biller your questions.
Enjoy your adventure...
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
You could always immigrate to Canada and get universal health care.
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Seattle , Washington
Thanks for all your replies, seems the issue of medical insurance is gonna be more difficult than I thought.
Streamer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Just a note...

We (the mods) acknowledge that the subject of medical insurance is one that can easily raise emotions, since it can touch any one of us; our friends, or members of our family. The idea that someone near to us could become ill or injured and not be in a position to get the best medical care can be very disturbing.

However, we would like to suggest that keeping posts on-topic is vital to keeping the thread alive.

Thank you all for keeping that in mind.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plymouth Meeting , Pennsylvania
Health Insurance

It's a shame that Americans' life choices are constrained by something like unaffordable health insurance. Please understand America's health system is 'for profit' based which means charging what the market will bear.

For a government program, Medicare is amazingly efficient and should be a model for what we could have. Very little is spent administering it. Of course the politicians couldn't help but 'borrow' the money over the decades replacing it with IOUs, but that's another story.

America is a wonderful country, just don't get sick.
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Streamer Dan,

I believe that the only way to get "affordable" coverage for someone in your position is to shop around for a major medical coverage policy. I have a friend who retired and did not want to pay the huge premiums presented so he set aside something like $10K in an account and bought a major medical policy. It only pays in case there is a major issue. He was fine to cover out of pocket things but was ready to fall back on his personal account if something big happened.

I am a public servant with 37 years of service. For this I was allowed to continue my medical coverage for a mere $1100 a month! Yep, our system is broken and needs to change. And no, the solution is not to turn it over to those who want to make even larger profits. JMHO
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i once read that some 'professional associations' offer their members a group rate for things like medical coverage. if that is true and available to you it is worth researching.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
i once read that some 'professional associations' offer their members a group rate for things like medical coverage. if that is true and available to you it is worth researching.
You are quite right. This is what I am doing. I get the same coverage, at the same rate as the rest of the force. Only problem is that the "company" (the state) does not pick up any portion of the premium as it does for current workers. Unless I go to a major medical plan, my actual rate would go up. Like I said, we are in a sad state of affairs. I continue to hear people rant about how good public employees have it and some even say that they have "free" medical coverage. Even when I was working, I paid over $400 a month for coverage. I know it isn't that way everywhere, but there is no gravy train running any longer.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote